• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Climbing Method for a new Saddle Hunter

Ashton44

Hi All,

This is my first season in the saddle, and I'm slowly getting accustomed to it. I currently have 5 WE Stepps and use an aider. I'm not a huge fan, and am considering switching to sticks and selling my Stepps. Has anyone used both, and recommend one over the other? Thanks!

As in a multistep aider? WEI Stepps are great but they have a higher learning curve than a lot of methods and that goes double if you throw in an aider.

I can understand not wanting to use no aiders because an aider really makes the WEI stepps shine, but I would start more conservative if I were you. A single step aider such as WEI promotes, or a knaider.

All that said, sticks are just fine too. I’m tryig sticks this season after most of last season spent using WEI stepps. Mostly because I realized my walks aren’t that bad and I can probably trade the bulk of sticks for an easier setup. We shall see...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't used the WEI steps but they have always seemed like a larger learning curve and I don't like the increased risk of kickout with the multi step aider. If I had some WEI steps available though, the modified cain method is the way I would probably try to climb to make them work.

4 Muddy pro sticks is what I started with, the learning curve was easy I even felt comfortable enough to add a one step aider to each, but I felt like it was a little more weight than I needed to carry. I toyed around with the DRT method in the backyard which was fun, but I felt underprepared to switch to that method so close to season without any presets in the woods. The weight savings for the DRT was tremendous though. Then i decided to try one sticking. Originally I felt like it was going to be a little too much work for the reward, but after the first attempt I was sold on it. The learning curve wasn't bad at all, and I even learned to rappel out of the tree to make it that much easier, and more fun.

There is quite a few methods on here I would recommend researching a few and not be afraid to give one a shot.

This is also my first season in a saddle. I’m using muddy sticks which I have owned for several years. I didn’t want to learn a new climbing method in addition to having to learn the saddle all at once. I use 3 muddy sticks and an aider on the bottom step which gets me to about 16 to 18 at my platform. Long legs..

I am seriously considering the DRT climbing method. I like that the climbing rope can act as your tether, or you can attach the tether once up the tree. Was thinking SRT at first but there is a lot of extras to buy, and then carry in with that method.

I like you have been trying to find the best climbing method. This year alone I have purchased wild edge steps and a knaider, all the stuff to do srt and have tried drt. Unfortunately I lack the strength to do either of the rope climbing methods. I will be trying them again because honestly drt seems like the best way to go. All in all, I went back to my muddy sticks. I'll probably be selling my wild edge steps soon. They are just too small imo for both my boots to be on.

I too am new and started with wild edge steps. I am using 2-3 as a platform and find there is quite a bit of additional fiddle factor involved with that. I just purchased a set of hawk helium sticks to try in comparison. I'll let you know how they compare to the wild edge steps once I get them on a tree.

I'm new as well and am using WE steps and a 5 step aider with a knaider it is a great system but took some time to get used to and I take my time climbing up the tree. Sticks may work faster but the weight savings I get it worth the extra time climbing.

Climbing sticks will be your easiest climbing method. I use 4 muddys with a 1 step moveable aider and I can get to 20-22ft at the bottom of my platform very easy and I am only 5’10.

I like you have been trying to find the best climbing method. This year alone I have purchased wild edge steps and a knaider, all the stuff to do srt and have tried drt. Unfortunately I lack the strength to do either of the rope climbing methods. I will be trying them again because honestly drt seems like the best way to go. All in all, I went back to my muddy sticks. I'll probably be selling my wild edge steps soon. They are just too small imo for both my boots to be on.
Drt doesn't rely on strength, it is all in the technique. Search YouTube for the videos that NYsaddlehunter has done on it. I was able to get up a tree in just a few attempts after watching his videos.

Yeah right now i make it less then a foot and drenched in sweat afterwords looking like a giant tbag. We'll see though. I may be making the move to a jx3 hybrid and I'm not sure how well drt will work on that. We will see.

I’m new and going to try tree spurs. My father had an old pair kicking around so figured I’d give them a try before spending any money.

Without a doubt this topic gets attention. I have WE with a 5 step aider. Big learning curve but to get to 25' with 5 steppes with something fits in a backpack seals the deal. I just learned DRT and as noted already it works great for pre sets. I even like the single stick.

Learn multiple methods and find what's best for you. Good luck!

I just got my first saddle on my doorstep yesterday from Trophyline. I decided to start with 4 muddy pros and a moveable aider. I am excited to get in a tree tomorrow and try this thing out. I will probably try the SRT or DRT at some point but figured sticks would be the best way to start out for myself.

In my opinion sticks are the way to go. I'm aiming to have 6 danO or beasts sticks next year (I'm not a fan of aiders and I don't walk miles into public). I have tried drt and srt but can't seem to get anywhere with them. I may try the one stick climb (yes with a aider) when I get a jx3.

I love my Lone Wolf Hand Climber! Extremely safe because you need be in yor tether to climb, every simple, weighs only four pounds, it's your climbing system and platform.
Some people don't like them, I don't know why, perhaps some can chime in?

Back