• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Climbing sticks..... preferred aider method?

Buckhorn70

SH Member
When using climbing sticks wether it’s 3,4 or 5.......What is your preferred aider method?

Built in wire loops
Movable carry as you go aider
Maybe a long 3 step aider on the bottom stick
Amsteel aider loops
Something different from these mentioned

Would like to Hear what you guys are using.

I've tried a movable webbing aider, sewn on webbing aider, amsteel aider, and cable/wire aider.... hands down prefer the cable/wire aiders attached to my sticks. I've found them to be the most stable and they are rigid enough to "index" or find them with your foot when stepping down.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I use a knaider and simply hook the hook over the bottom step. It's easier for me to find the step with the hook on the way down than it is to find a loop with my foot.

Last year I ran Novix minis with double steps and used a versa aider, I really liked it, weighs nothing and was simple, this year I’m running LWCG minis with cable aiders, I really liked that versa aider the best so far.

Last time I used sticks, it was with a CAYG aider.

However, just had a potentially dumb idea:

Cable aiders that are 2 step with each step being relatively short for stability (like 18" each). The design is central cable with a tear drop to the left and right at different heights. I think you could have these on several steps at height (not just bottom) and that it would much more comfortable for guys used to a single step aider that are leery of the 3 step flimsy looking ladders made out of webbing. You could go from one to the next more easily finding the loop with your foot. Also, with two 1.5 foot steps, you could still make it between steps in an emergency without the aiders.

I've tried a movable webbing aider, sewn on webbing aider, amsteel aider, and cable/wire aider.... hands down prefer the cable/wire aiders attached to my sticks. I've found them to be the most stable and they are rigid enough to "index" or find them with your foot when stepping down.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

This.

Couldn't imagine using anything but the versaaider. Wind doesn't blow the aider around. It stays attached to the foot the entire climb. No fishing for steps in the dark. It's so far ahead Its comical

I tried the CAYG, then multistep aider on bottom Stepp, then knaider. Last year I used LWCG Doublesteps with a versa aider and it was excellent. If you are using multiple sticks, hard to beat the versa aider IMO.

Another swaider user I can set each stick around 5-5’6”...thought about double using two swaider on the first stick or two and non on the last one or two

I use a Backwoods 3 step aider but at times have trouble getting my foot in when it lays against the tree.I tried this with a tie wrap and it worked.

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 162
I made an amsteel versaaider for myself. I have it on a bungee cord to my waist so that it's always accessible. For the foot there's an adjustable loop with a 5" section of hard rubber hose. The loop is made by making an 8" burry with the tail coming out so you can tighten it by puling. I like the foot loop because it's easy on and off and if I were to fall with the aider on the stick, the force would cause the burry slip so my foot doesn't get hung up.

I like a tubular webbing CAYG aider. Not much of a consensus here.

I should add that I use a Black Diamond 5-step etrier on the bottom stick. With this, I hang the bottom stick as high as I can reach and can get over 20' with three 22" Hawk Heliums.

Last edited:
For single step sticks I like cable aiders. For double step sticks I like moveable 3 step aider. I have a backwoods mobile 3 step wild edge step hook style I used last year when I wasn’t one sticking. I have been messing with their GC one aider for Tethrd sticks on my mini beasts and like it so far.

D8C56DFB-DD91-49DC-AC1F-B59EF483858E.jpeg @Hall17

This feels the most secure to me, and I am able to really stretch the sticks out more so than other single set aiders

When using climbing sticks wether it’s 3,4 or 5.......What is your preferred aider method?

Built in wire loops
Movable carry as you go aider
Maybe a long 3 step aider on the bottom stick
Amsteel aider loops
Something different from these mentioned

Would like to Hear what you guys are using.

I like the "cable" aiders. They allow the cable to angle away from the tree so that I am able to find my footing on the cable in the dark either climbing or lowering myself. They can be folded up against my 20" mini-beast sticks. The cable aiders are perfect at 18" length.

DIY 1" tubular webbing CAYG Aider with a water knot the first year worked fine (have a back up) then began to one stick so I now use the GM Climbing sewn 24" loop with an 8-10" cable tie mod "fished" into the webbing originally developed by @SloMo and used also by @boyne bowhunter. You can get them in four packs, fish the cable tie into the bottom by snipping off the top of it. My only mod to that was to add a castration band which allows me to just slip the loop aider over the bottom step. Cinch the castration band up to the bottom of the step and that aider stays there nicely. The cable tie keeps the loop open so you can put your boot into it. Works like a charm for one sticking OR if you want to add one of these loops to each of your sticks if you use multiple sticks. Gives you a lot of options IMHO.

GM Climbing Sewn Loop.jpg

If you have a stick with a double step on the bottom, I like aiders made from 1/4" UHMWPE rope. (Aka Amsteel or similar equivalent)

They are very easy to build... You can make one piece with loops on each end, then make a second matching piece with loops on each end... And lock them together making a light, strong, packable double step aider...

Screenshot_20210511-204730.png
Screenshot_20210511-204857.png
Screenshot_20210511-204846.png

These were my basic plans I used for mine. Start with 2 separate 60" pieces and if done correctly, you end up with a pretty slick double aider at the end...

Back