• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Combining climbing methods

Murph4028

Vendor Rep
I've been doing a lot of post season scouting and tree prepping on the public land I hunt lately and with that I've been trying out new climbing methods, especially bolts. I have been one stick climbing for years and decided to branch out lately to try new things. Tried spurs, didnt like them. Carbon bolts, like them but don't fully trust them. Treehopper bolts, worked great but again didn't feel comfortable with them when getting up to and over 20 feet. Wasn't really the bolts at fault, I just hate using the required lineman's belt and on the way down the treehopper bolts were really hard to pull out of the tree. So what I have settled on lately is using carbon bolts for the first 8-10 feet, then mounting my stick and using my swaider and knaider to one stick climb from there. By doing this I get up the tree faster, need less climbing iterations with the stick to get to hunting height, make less noise because I have to move the stick less, and sweat less by doing less climbing iterations. I feel safer and more productive using the one stick method because I am always tethered in, and I am not limited to a certain height because I ran out of bolts. With one stick climbing, if your using a swaider or knaider or both, the length of your stick is pretty much irrelevant, so I pack a 15 inch climbing stick that fits almost anywhere which is another huge benefit for me. Anyone else here combining climbing methods?

What state are you that you can use all that stuff on public land?
Must be nice. Here in PA, there is really no such thing as prepping a tree on public land.

I recently tried combining WE stepps and the K/S to ascend and then the 5 step aider to use my platform as my last step. I didn't like the combination of the methods. Mostly it was using the aider at the end. I didn't adopt the 5 step aider climbing method because of the use of the aider. Didn't really love fishing around with my feet for the loops. I think I'm sticking to the pure WE- K/S method.

Yes, I often combine climbing methods. When I do it is usually using a couple of single steps like WE stepps or cranford rope steps followed by a couple of sticks up top. When I leave, I take the single steps with me and leave the sticks up high so they’re harder for someone to steal.

Yeah Ive hunted Bragg more than a few times. No good in my experience unless you head out to the Mackall area. Most areas on Bragg have been cleared out from controlled burns and turned into an open pine forest.
That's no good all that land and nothing but pines, seems all our hardwoods are disappearing!!!

I recently tried combining WE stepps and the K/S to ascend and then the 5 step aider to use my platform as my last step. I didn't like the combination of the methods. Mostly it was using the aider at the end. I didn't adopt the 5 step aider climbing method because of the use of the aider. Didn't really love fishing around with my feet for the loops. I think I'm sticking to the pure WE- K/S method.
How many WE steps with the knaider swaider to get how high? I have a set just too heavy to bring 10 how high each one with K/S

I actually just got my RADS system in the mail today and tried SRT in the back yard. It is awesome and I really like it. I did a few short climbs and practiced with the madrock lifeguard a few times then climbed to 25-30 feet really quick and I took my time. It's really easy and fun

I get 5 feet per step using the K/S 4 steps get me to 20 ', and then I set the Predator platform 2' above my last step for a total of 22'. I carry 6 steps in case I feel the need to get more height.

Sorry, newby here guys and don't know the acronyms quite yet. Murph, what is "RADS" and "SRT"?

Back