• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Concealed Carry

Mschmeiske

SH Member
I was finally approved for both my pistol permit and concealed carry as of a couple weeks ago. I unfortunately live in NYS…. I’m sure I don’t need to say more. I purchased a Glock 43x and Im currently waiting for my JM custom kydex AIWB holster to come in. I’m very familiar with long guns, but still getting acquainted with Pistols. What do you like to carry? Did any of you feel weird carrying at first or uneasy? Did you roam around the house with it empty to get familiar with it before carrying? Did you take some courses? Any words of wisdom are appreciated.

Last edited:
I first started carrying concealed on missions in Afghanistan way back in 2005. At that time we carried Glock 19’s. Fast forward to 2020 and I started carrying concealed in the civilian world. I rotate between my 19 and Glock 26 although I do own a 43x as well but rarely carry it. I have a giant box full of holsters that for one reason or another didn’t make the cut in terms of comfort. I know only carry in Tier 1 holsters appendix carry.

With my background in the military in didn’t take any courses until this past summer. One of my Ranger buddies teaches a basic CPL course and once you take that course you can then move onto Level 2, 3 and 4. All of these courses put you, the shooter into real life scenarios and teach you how to shoot and move effectively and efficiently. For the novice carrier I recommend these types of courses. I personally did not get a lot out of these courses with my prior training but it was a good refresher. My two cousins on the other hand who just started carrying…for them it was extremely beneficial.

My advice is “Get armed. Get trained. Continue to train!” Leave the Gucci gun bs at the wayside. Put your time and money into training. Learn to shoot and master your irons before moving onto a dot and dry fire, dry fire dry fire.

I carry a 43x MOS nearly every time I leave the house. I've been carrying over 20 years so I'm very comfortable with it but I remember when I started I felt like everyone could see it. FYI they can't.

Like Shamus said, you will end up with a box of holsters before long. Try many different ones in different carrying positions until you find one that you like. Personally I carry appendix concealed EDC and OWB 3'oclock if hiking or on a backpack strap if hiking/hunting

I did not take any classes but I became very familiar with any gun I carry on my person before leaving the house with it. I also put at least 500 rounds through any pistol before it is my EDC.

I carry a kimber micro 9. Small and shoots pretty well. So as far as feeling uneasy? I’ve been around guns my whole life so no not really but I didn’t notice something I guess. Now I feel weird without it.
If you’re u familiar with pistols you need to shoot, then shoot more. Shoot the gun you are gonna carry like crazy. Dry fire practice is important and does help a lot. But seriously shoot it.
No I didn’t take any formal training, I “train” on my own. Is this the way to go? I can’t say either way.
Main thing is know the laws. Know other states laws that you plan to go into while carrying. Crossing state borders and what not.
If you’re carrying, don’t start crap with someone. Even if their in the wrong. Avoid confrontation. Remember you represent the rest of us who carry and don’t screw that up for other people. That’s something people don’t think about.

I did not take any classes but I became very familiar with any gun I carry on my person before leaving the house with it. I also put at least 500 rounds through any pistol before it is my EDC.

This right here, is another thing that I wanted to say but forgot to. Before leaving the house, practice a few draw strokes in whatever it is you’re wearing for the day. You’d be surprised how much a simple shirt or hoodie can hinder your draw. Also sit in your car and find the best spot for that holster to ride and see how quickly you can to your firearm while strapped in a seat belt.

I personally put 800-1000 rounds through my edc guns before I carry them. I’ve never once had a problem with any Glock that I own but I’ve have plenty of issues with other brands which were traded in.

Thanks for the replies thus far! Before they stopped shipping ammo to NY I bought a bunch of 9mm in hopes my permit went through, thankfully it did. I’ll certainly be spending a bit of time with it before carrying it and I think I’d like to look into some more formal training in the near future too!

I carry a kimber micro 9. Small and shoots pretty well. So as far as feeling uneasy? I’ve been around guns my whole life so no not really but I didn’t notice something I guess. Now I feel weird without it.
If you’re u familiar with pistols you need to shoot, then shoot more. Shoot the gun you are gonna carry like crazy. Dry fire practice is important and does help a lot. But seriously shoot it.
No I didn’t take any formal training, I “train” on my own. Is this the way to go? I can’t say either way.
Main thing is know the laws. Know other states laws that you plan to go into while carrying. Crossing state borders and what not.
If you’re carrying, don’t start crap with someone. Even if their in the wrong. Avoid confrontation. Remember you represent the rest of us who carry and don’t screw that up for other people. That’s something people don’t think about.

How is the micro 9? That was on my list before I got the Glock, but I’m sure it won’t be my only pistol.

It takes a bit getting use to, I use to worried about printing. But I live in a state that allows open carry so no foul there. Nerds will make a big deal about it saying it's not "grey man" and claim I am a potential target.

Congratulations on getting your permit. Every responsible gun owner should carry, it's your right to protect yourself. If you are not taking a course you should definitely study and read up on the laws in your state and states you visit. There is a lot of information out there that you should know that will protect you in the event you have to use your weapon.

As an NRA instructor I would recommend taking as much training as you can. I like to think you can take a little info from each different instructor. Shoot with folks who are familiar w/pistols and learn from each one.

How is the micro 9? That was on my list before I got the Glock, but I’m sure it won’t be my only pistol.
I like it! I do feel like it’s a gun I need to practice with more often than say a Glock to stay proficient. I wouldn’t get caught up on the colors they come in. I bought the tan one thinking I liked it and for a carry gun it’s hard on the finish. They do a good job in it but feel like for carry a stainless gun makes more sense

I'm not a fan of a small pistol. I carry a full size Glock IWB Appendix. May not be for everyone but a full size frame is way easier to shoot accurately and easier to run. JMO. Don't carry a pistol in your pocket or purse w/o a holster for that purpose, please...

Last edited:
The holster is very important and don't be afraid to try several options....even buying a cheaper model of a category of holster you'd like to try to see if it is a fit before dropping more money. There's a reason why many long time hand gun owners don't even know how many holsters they own and own more holsters than they do hand guns.

Of course practice impeccable gun safety. But then you develop a feeling where the fact that you have a gun in your pocket (in my case, since i usually carry a pocket pistol) and that it is chambered....where you are aware but it is normal and not stressful.

Also be aware of the laws in your area and where you can't carry. I also don't carry into most people's homes (unless I know they don't care and don't have kids, etc) and just leave it in the truck. Of course, this is only for friendly people. I wouldn't go into a potentially hostile home ever, but if I had to I would carry. Around here, Walmart and the mall and movie theaters and such have gun prohibition signs, but it is not against the law to carry in most of those places. They can just ask you to leave if they see your firearm. It is similar to carrying in someone's private home and they see your gun and ask you to leave. They can't call the police and get you arrested over it.

Last edited:
The holster is very important and don't be afraid to try several options....even buying a cheaper model of a category of holster you'd like to try to see if it is a fit before dropping more money. There's a reason why many long time hand gun owners don't even know how many holsters they own and own more holsters than they do hand guns.

Of course practice impeccable gun safety. But then you develop a feeling where the fact that you have a gun in your pocket (in my case, since i usually carry a pocket pistol) and that it is chambered....where you are aware but it is normal and not stressful.

Also be aware of the laws in your area and where you can't carry. I also don't carry into most people's homes (unless I know they don't care and don't have kids, etc) and just leave it in the truck. Of course, this is only for friendly people. I wouldn't go into a potentially hostile home ever, but if I had to I would carry. Around here, Walmart and the mall and movie theaters and such have gun prohibition signs, but it is not against the law to carry in most of those places. They can just ask you to leave if they see your firearm. It is similar to carrying in someone's private home and they see your gun and ask you to leave. They can't call the police and get you arrested over it.

I'm assuming that NYS has a 10 round mag law and that's why you got what you did. For woods carry with only 10 rounds or for home defense with only 10 rounds, once you are comfortable with the 9 mm....then I'd consider getting a 10 mm or 45 acp as funds allow. People argue a lot on the internet that a 9 mm rivals a 45 when using modern ammo...but they usually do an apples to oranges comparison where they pit the best 9 mm load against a humdrum 45 acp round. If you shoot both apples to apples at the range and shooting something like wood bowling pins or something.....it's obvious a 45 hits harder. No one argues that the 10 mm is a brute.

PS many new hand gunners shoot low and to the left or right.....there's a reason for this......if it happens to you, spend time googling it and read many sources to fix it....it probably isn't your sights and some newer guys want to adjust the sights to fix a problem with their form and trigger use

Get one of the laser training bullets so you can practice draw and fie scenarios.
G sight makes a good kit.

Its definitely a big part of training. Learning how to draw from your holster. i live in MD so i feel your pain OP.
So much you can do and learn for free right off youtube. keep trying different holsters. i bet i spent as much on holsters as i did my p365 till i found one i like and trust.

Vedder makes great holsters. mostly all i use now. since i have to tuck my shirt in my choices are limited. wait for a sale if you can.
If you swap out the clip with a vedder spring steel one, RCS vanguard is a really compact one. very different and you have to get used to it.

and what someone else said...

dont do anything that could start an altercation anymore. no honking your horn at someone on their phone etc etc,

you really dont want to draw any attention to yourself.

Good for you though man. Getting the permit and normalizing this in states like NY is the most important thing we can do for the 2A

and what someone else said...

dont do anything that could start an altercation anymore. no honking your horn at someone on their phone etc etc,

you really dont want to draw any attention to yourself.

Good for you though man. Getting the permit and normalizing this in states like NY is the most important thing we can do for the 2A

very true....some folks use having a gun to embolden them to be more confrontational than usual.....when it should be the opposite

especially in NYS, if you can viewed at all as escalating a situation, then there's a huge chance of you getting into legal trouble

also, for a similar reason, I would avoid anything "tacticool" on the gun or holster (like punisher logos or something) and i've even heard folks say to avoid ammo that has aggressive names or packaging (like ammo with a pronged slug and the name zombie skull splitter and a green blood splatter on the box)

lastly, glock or similar t-shirts and vehicle stickers should be avoided for the legal implications, staying under the radar, and it also gives up your tactical advantage (why the folks that open carry around here in public don't make sense to me....go ahead and paint a target on your back for any would-be active shooter)

I’ll throw my hat in the ring. I’ve carried concealed for over 30 years, mostly a full size 1911, while in military uniform, overseas, on the job and as a civilian. Now I rock an M17 as it’s lighter and not as cold(getting old over here)
@shamus275 and others had really good advice.
Only a couple things I’d add:
Carry around the house as much as possible so you get comfortable carrying. Try doing stuff while carrying such as vacuuming, dishes, mowing the lawn, working on the car, etc. You need to get comfortable carrying so you aren’t constantly checking your firearm retention. You can always tell a new CCW carrier out in public cus they’re the guy or gal who keeps touching their side or readjusting their waist or fiddling with their hip.
Experiment with different holsters and carry positions. I have a stealth gear ventcore that’s awesome for summer and hiking and a belly band that’s great when wearing shorts or something.
I’d look into the mantis x or similar systems to train with when you can’t get to the range but there is NO substitute for sending rounds down range.
CCW requires lots of planning ahead. Say I’m going to work then stopping at the grocery store then I gotta mail a package. Whoa there bud hold up. No CCW in a govt facility. It’s unfortunate but the good guys are the only guys that follow the rules. Gotta stop at school and pick up the kids? Better stop and think. If some dad picking his kids up sees you printing your day maybe just went south really fast. Where I live I can’t take that chance at all as there’s tons of govt and prior military types where I live.

Back