• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Connected footloops

Westfale

Hi, here my first question:

I wanna do my first saddle hunt next week and i have to build anything saddle related on my own.
There is a rock climbimg harness, a dynamic rope and a Grigri, that i use for safety on the Climber.
This will be my saddle an tether, no bridge necessary i guess. Perhaps a bozun chair for sitting comfort.
What keeps me crazy is the lack of any kind of platform or ring of steps.
I saw it in video linked here, but i can't find now:

There was a guy, who connected his footloops and hung this set on the top of the tether.
Can someone give me advice to sew this out of webbing?

Are you talking about this?

I'm a little concerned that you seem to be starting this a little nonchalant. Please practice your setup a lot before trying to go up a tree. Also because your setup seem very raw, trying it out on ground level might open your eyes on a few issues like comfort and shooting from a saddle. One of the most common mistake is new users thinking the comfort and maneuverability of a rock climbing harness and an actual saddle is the same.

Can you legally use screw in tree steps where you hunt? If so, a ring of 5 to 7 steel screw in tree steps would be your safest and easiest bet for a ring of steps. The rock climbing harness will be safe but not very comfortable. You need some kind of seat in addition to the harness for comfort. Many people over here started with a rock climbing harness and a sit drag. The sit drag is for comfort and that harness is life support. Try any and all of this at ground level first. Home - SitDrag by EZ Hunter, LLC

My advice is to purchase a purpose built tree saddle. The reason is twofold. The first is comfort and safety. The second is that from my experience you will spend as much or more trying to piece something together as you would a tree saddle and will eventually just end up with a purpose made one in the end. Once you have the experience and know what you want out of a saddle, that is the time to try some DIY projects.

I'm not sure about the double foot loop though some people have used it for 2TC (Two Tether Climbing). You could likely order one custom made from Custom Gear Modifications, CGM. Home | Custom Gear Modifications. I'm not sure if they can ship to Germany, you would need to ask.

I think I remember that in the DIY forum. I can't recall the details, though.

One thing to keep in mind, especially in the first few years of the posts, is that there weren't many or any commercial options available. A lot of good ideas were prototyped here, and elsewhere, and then rejected once a more viable idea was more fully developed. What is on the market now is often the result of this development process which played out on here and elsewhere.

Which is not to say that the idea you're discussing isn't good... but maybe get some experience with 'conventional' setups, and determine what shortcomings you want to overcome, before you start reinventing various wheels. Seriously, a used ROS, or a Hawk Helium setup, can be had for like $50; once you factor in time, opportunity cost, and prototyping a DIY solution, you're well past $50. If you still decide you want to go this route after using a purchased ROS, you'll have a much more clear idea of what problem you're trying to solve.

I'd also recommend you consider making a fleece saddle. Make it bigger than you think you need, by a foot or so; it's easier to cut material off than back on... play around with it at ground level and compare it to your bosun's chair; you might prefer one over the other.

Thanks for all the hints! Also for the concern to my nonchalace.
Safety is mandatory to me, cause i got people at home that count on me.
The discussions about dynamic ropes, sideloaded carabiners and the solutions that i found here did allready have an impact on my climbing treestand gear.

I will take my experience using my gear for rappelling, but i have to choose new methods to get up the tree.
I really was surprised to find so many methods and variants here, finally I decided to go with the JRB hitch climbing method.
1. I don‘t need sticks, that i don‘t have.
2. I don‘t move my ass above my attachment point.
3. I found a substitute for the friction hitches, that i don‘t manage to handle by now.
And no, I am not allowed to leave any damage to the tree I‘m using. So no spurs, no screw in steps and so on.

Mayby i try to do some tree steps like the any tree outdoors.

@Westfale , I wondered earlier today, could you be looking for the Garda Hitch foot loop? @John RB features it in some of his videos. I always carry one, it's super handy, works as it should and can be put together affordably! I will look for a link for you.

Also, to clarify, will you be climbing with this loop you're looking for? And use it for support at height?

You're english may be better than mine :wink: but feel free to speak up if there are any translation issues, I'm sure we'll work through it if there is a language barrier.

Glad to have you and good luck out there!

Links:

Longer video

Short video that may be helpful

Hi Horn, thanks for the videos and your recommendation for this loop.
I thougt of this footloop for ascending, but did not believe, it could be sufficiant for the time on the tree.
I thought to combine it with some ring of steps, but got issues with my 3D-Printer, so the steps couln't be t
Is it ok for sitting and leaning for let's say 3 hours?

!!
This is doable in the remaining two days before the hunting trip!
Guess it will be a good addition to the footloops.

Thanks a lot!

I don't think it'd be very good for sitting or leaning for 3 hours but you could probably do it. One big downfall would be with both you and your feet supported on the line I don't think you'd be able to maneuver for shots very well.

I was going to suggest the wooden ring of steps too! I would try that!

Climbing steps / ROS DIY'd out of 4" PVC. Search for "climb paws". Personally i wouldn't climb on them, especially in the cold, but 5-7 on a ROS strap should be fine considering that your weight is held by your tether and the steps are just for a footrest maneuvering around the tree.

Climbing steps / ROS DIY'd out of 4" PVC. Search for "climb paws". Personally i wouldn't climb on them, especially in the cold, but 5-7 on a ROS strap should be fine considering that your weight is held by your tether and the steps are just for a footrest maneuvering around the tree.
2" PVC will work as well for these and be more compact than 4" and still have enough foot room, the key is getting the slots for the strap parallel to the edge that will contact the tree.

Back