• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Crossbow users.

BigAl

Ok guys.....what is your system for hanging up or holding your crossbow while saddle hunting. I'm looking for ideas for the best/better way of storing, hanging my crossbow. Thanks in advance for the info!

f731947948ac8ad3f13a58e9eee37dc9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

f731947948ac8ad3f13a58e9eee37dc9.jpg

Just curious if you are a lefty since you have the bow hanging like that. This is my first year in a saddle and so far I've found that I'm going to keep my bow on my right side (right handed) since I feel I can lift it off with my left hand on the fore grip and be in a ready position quicker.

So far I've only practiced like that. Opening day is Saturday!

No I’m a righty guess I just hung it like that from habit of hanging my compound. That was my first hunt I will try it your way Friday and see if I like it better.

Just curious if you are a lefty since you have the bow hanging like that. This is my first year in a saddle and so far I've found that I'm going to keep my bow on my right side (right handed) since I feel I can lift it off with my left hand on the fore grip and be in a ready position quicker.

I hadn’t thought about that. I was in the habit too of my compound and setting up that way. I’ll try it on the right Friday evening.

I'm righthanded, hang my crossbow from a loop near the buttplate so the bow is on my left side pointed down at the ground. Less movement in my experience doing it that way (not as little as hanging it off my side, of course).

Just one man's opinion based on hunting all last year in a saddle w/ xbow and being a righty. Others may find better ways to do this. But, I saw your question above about having the bow on your left when you're righty. If you picture the tree in front of you at 12 o'clock, I kind of have 3 shooting configurations:

Config 1. From 12 O'clock to 6 o'clock on the left side of the tree. Here, I'm shooting righty but on the left side of the tree....kind of using the bridge to steady my right arm. Very little movement required....a step to the left to get 12 - 10, twist the body to get 8-10, a step to the right and a twist to get 6-7.

Config 2. From 12 O'clock to 2/3 o'clock on the right side of the tree. Here I'm shooting righty but on the right side of the tree.

Config 3. 2/3 o'clock to 6 o'clock on the right side of the tree. Here I shoot lefty. I can use the bridge to steady and get a sight picture. It definitely takes me longer to get a sight picture so if a buck is cruising through I'll wait for them to come around. I'm not great at shooting lefty but OK at close distances. You can avoid shooting lefty by going from configuration #2 above and just moving more to your left and twisting, but that's a lot of movement when a deer is behind you.

So, it's not that strange to be righty and have the bow hanging on your left side. That's going to be the easy set up for configuration #1 above, which is going to be 1/2 or more of your shots. Grab front end of the stock of bow with left hand and bring right hand over. Some of my opinions may be due to the way I hang the bow and the JX-3. Note: I do hang it on my right sometimes, esp if the set up is such that I think a shot is more likely on that side.

Are you not concerned with wearing your prussic cord by moving your bridge through it with direct rope on rope contact?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

This will be my second season hunting with this set up and it is not showing any signs of deterioration.

71a0e557dc91aded5cd695286e6d04cd.jpg

Ameristep. To the left on the strap are some plastic hooks for hanging stuff

I made a hook out of a metal coat hanger. I'll take a picture tonight.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

71a0e557dc91aded5cd695286e6d04cd.jpg

Ameristep. To the left on the strap are some plastic hooks for hanging stuff

I hang mine generally like fawnzy does in his image, but I put the scope towards the tree. That allows me to lift the bow off the hook (I made a homemade metal hook - but same idea) with the left hand on the forestock. Then I bring the stock into my shoulder and Im ready to go....

Why are these xbows hung facing upwards? You get a shot it's going to be something on the ground. More efficient to have it hang pointed downwards so you are moving less to get on target. Just my opinion...

I hang my crossbow the same way and I'm right handed. I hang my bow the same way also. I grab my bow and crossbow with my left hand that way I don't have to switch my hands . Heroclip is awesome for hanging a bow or crossbow.

Last edited:
I agree. Plus it it goes off, if rather it plow into the ground then shoot straight up a land who know where. The stirrup makes hanging that way natural. But just girth hitch a runner around the end of stock and hang down

Why are these xbows hung facing upwards? You get a shot it's going to be something on the ground. More efficient to have it hang pointed downwards so you are moving less to get on target. Just my opinion...

I feel the same.
crossbowsetup.png

Decent point, but often as I am moving around the tree just to keep loose, I sometimes put my foot (ROS) below the hanging bow. When I have had it hanging downwards, I have imagined it be possible that it could go and off and possible hit me in the foot/leg. Aimed upwards would not hit me. Hanging downwards does raise into your shoulder nicely however.

Yes, up just seems natural. However, you have me thinking now. Next time out I'm going to hang it downward (similar to @4090Sharps picture) to try that out. Continue to always seek to get better or more efficient.

Back