• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Cruzr XC Buckle Question

Bach55

Is the upgraded buckle option for the leg pieces only? And if so, what is the “standard” buckle? I am assuming the waist buckle is the COBRA style buckle (please correct me if incorrect).

Any insight is appreciated. Cruzr does not have a phone number on their website that I could find, and I did not get a response from the email I sent them through the “Contact Us” portion of the site.

The upgrade is for the waist buckle—turning it from a generic buckle (could be great but who knows) to an AustriAlpin. The leg buckles are the lighter, generic ones. Like most saddles they aren't (life) load bearing and are really there for stability.

Copy, thanks. What’s the general consensus on that? I am assuming the standard buckle is 100% safe, so why upgrade? I would find it hard to believe they’re putting an inferior buckle out there from a safety perspective...

Copy, thanks. What’s the general consensus on that? I am assuming the standard buckle is 100% safe, so why upgrade? I would find it hard to believe they’re putting an inferior buckle out there from a safety perspective...

I would agree in general. I think folks just like the peace of mind of a fully rated and reputable buckle. I haven't heard of any ill issues with the stock buckle, but I did upgrade myself. You can upgrade any time so you could always try the stock buckle and see how you like things overall before going for the upgrade.

I would upgrade for sure. I had the original and upgraded to a Cobra before it was an option. If you've held both, a Cobra or Raptor buckle are both obviously much stronger than the standard buckle. Also, Cobra is a known manufacturer and has undergone third party testing. I don't understand thinking "it would be nuts to me if X were true, therefore X is false".

The stock buckle can be bought on ebay for a few bucks, I doubt the rated stamping on the side means anything, there is no name on them, and the strap capture on the adjustment side is a thin piece of metal.

I would agree in general. I think folks just like the peace of mind of a fully rated and reputable buckle. I haven't heard of any ill issues with the stock buckle, but I did upgrade myself. You can upgrade any time so you could always try the stock buckle and see how you like things overall before going for the upgrade.

The leg buckles are of the same style and probably same source. One user here reported one leg buckle kept randomly popping open. Also, a reason that you aren't hearing much is that hardly anyone takes a fall that would test the buckle. I'd like to see someone test the stock buckle because H2 also uses them, or at least something similar. If I had a stress gauge I would sacrifice the buckle for science.

I would upgrade for sure. I had the original and upgraded to a Cobra before it was an option. If you've held both, a Cobra or Raptor buckle are both obviously much stronger than the standard buckle. Also, Cobra is a known manufacturer and has undergone third party testing. I don't understand thinking "it would be nuts to me if X were true, therefore X is false".

The stock buckle can be bought on ebay for a few bucks, I doubt the rated stamping on the side means anything, there is no name on them, and the strap capture on the adjustment side is a thin piece of metal.
Ditto on all accounts.

I agree with you guys. For the small price, it’s worth upgrading to a known commodity. I guess what I’m trying to say (more to the point) is that it seems odd/disappointing that they are marketing something as an upgrade when in reality it sounds like a safety feature.

A back band, a storage bag, etc are “upgrades”. Shouldn’t have to “upgrade” to be safe. Hence my assumption that the stock buckle is safe. For my money - I’ll just be 100% sure even though I don’t agree with their approach to it. Certainly not enough to dissuade me from doing business with them. Just an interesting approach. I’m sure they have their reasons.

I would definitely sacrifice the stock buckle and a cobra to a test if someone has the ability. It would be nice to know. On that note, does anyone know where you can get the stock buckles for the leg straps? I want to make something else using those. Likewise I would be curious if anyone knows how the size of a cobra (to fit the leg straps) would compare to the stock.

I would definitely sacrifice the stock buckle and a cobra to a test if someone has the ability. It would be nice to know. On that note, does anyone know where you can get the stock buckles for the leg straps? I want to make something else using those. Likewise I would be curious if anyone knows how the size of a cobra (to fit the leg straps) would compare to the stock.

Cobra buckles are significantly larger.

You wouldn't need to test Cobra buckles, as it has been done.

You might be able to test the ebay one by hanging 45 lbs plate weights until it breaks.

If you search for

quick release buckles at alibaba then you find other, cheaper versions also (same probably true of ebay also).

Last edited:

Cobra buckles are significantly larger.

You wouldn't need to test Cobra buckles, as it has been done.

You might be able to test the ebay one by hanging 45 lbs plate weights until it breaks.

If you search for

quick release buckles at alibaba then you find other, cheaper versions also (same probably true of ebay also).

Thanks! Yes, on the testing I just meant whatever the testing method it would be cool to do them both at the same time for direct comparability.

I have a cobra buckle with d ring I’d sell that works with the Cruzr XC if anyone is interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never had an issue with the buckle. But for the guys who did their own upgrade how exactly did you do it and does involve sewing ?

I never had an issue with the buckle. But for the guys who did their own upgrade how exactly did you do it and does involve sewing ?
I ordered a new buckle from AustriAlpin's North American distributor (in Canada), waited weeks for it to arrive, then took pictures of how the straps were situated in the stock buckle (both sides), undid them (they just pull out of the buckles--no sewing), and put the belt straps through the AustriAlpin buckle. It's straightforward with no sewing or skill required, and it's easy to test to ensure you did it right because they won't hold with basic pulling if you mess it up.

Similar to @TNbowhunter. Except I got the dual adjust version (1.5") of the Austrialpin Cobra buckle. There are counterfeits, so be careful about crazy deals. The webbing is thinner than usual for a Cobra buckle (which seems to hold best with tubular or mil spec thickness flat webbing or seat belt "grade"....the saddle uses something similar to seat belt webbing but maybe half as thick), so I backed up both sides with triglides from Sailrite made by SunCor. They were the only heavier duty metal 1.5" triglides I could find. The stock triglide is thin metal and similar to something you might see on a backpack. The triglides are stainless steel. I roughed them up and then shot with self etching primer and then OD green spray paint, but it is slowly coming off.

Last edited:
If you do decide to upgrade the buckle do you have to sew the upgrade buckle in? What if you don't sew?

If you do decide to upgrade the buckle do you have to sew the upgrade buckle in? What if you don't sew?

No. The original is a single adjust buckle. The left side is held by a metal triglide and the right side is fed through the adjustment side of the buckle. You can easily remove all this and you then have two pieces of webbing with the ends sewn over as a finish. You could get the same exact style buckle and re-use the metal triglide to make it the same but with a Cobra buckle, or you could do what I outline in my post above.

Here's the buckle I used. The single adjust only has the moveable metal piece on one side.

Similar to @TNbowhunter. Except I got the dual adjust version (1.5") of the Austrialpin Cobra buckle. There are counterfeits, so be careful about crazy deals. The webbing is thinner than usual for a Cobra buckle (which seems to hold best with tubular or mil spec width flat webbing or seat belt "grade"....the saddle uses something similar to seat belt webbing but maybe half as thick), so I backed up both sides with triglides from Sailrite made by SunCor. They were the only heavier duty metal 1.5" triglides I could find. The stock triglide is thin metal and similar to something you might see on a backpack. The triglides are stainless steel. I roughed them up and then shot with self etching primer and then OD green spray paint, but it is slowly coming off.
Thanks

Back