• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

CT Roll-n-lock - Don’t do this mod!

ofor

F0F24E7D-AC6F-48B2-83CD-EBCD67AB1E42.jpegI switched to 8mm Oplux and a CT Roll-n-lock this year for my tether down from much larger muddy lifeline rope and a ropeman 1 last year. I liked the little wire loop that come with the ropeman 1 for letting out lead and missed that feature on the CT Roll-n-lock so I added one using a small zip tie loop as shown below.

00037787-8318-4C1D-8BB0-A5F3305629F7.jpeg

**** Do not do this mod!!! *****

I had a situation at hunting height over the weekend where I felt a little slippage between the tether and roll-n-lock and quickly discovered that the zip tie had worked its way between the teeth on the ascender and the oplux like in this pic.

F0F24E7D-AC6F-48B2-83CD-EBCD67AB1E42.jpeg

As you can see in the pics, I have a distel hitch backup so I wasn’t at risk of a fall but I wanted to share what happened so others don’t do the same mod. Also giving a pitch to consider backing up your mechanical ascender with a hitch.

The zip tie loop is coming off my setup.

Last edited:
Good post. Hindsight is 20/20. Never understood why the RnL isn’t more popular but I have 2 and love them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a metal keychain that I can screw in and I use a drop of lock tire to keep it secure

Oops forgot to add pic

Attachments

• F0114877-679E-474C-972B-D565B86DF4C3.jpeg
    F0114877-679E-474C-972B-D565B86DF4C3.jpeg
    145.2 KB · Views: 145
Same experience. Try using the meat of hand between your thumb and first finger to push it up. Works well even with gloves.

Last edited:
maybe it's the camera angle, but that distal hitch doesn't look too good either

I think it's just a funny shadow.

your right, I blew up the picture and it does look like it is tied right, at first glance it looks like the top of the knot makes 4 turns and then goes
right back to the carabiner, but on a closer look you can see it going under and the other rope coming down to the carabiner
the two ropes line up almost perfectly,
good thing you caught the other problem before it jammed up on you

your right, I blew up the picture and it does look like it is tied right, at first glance it looks like the top of the knot makes 4 turns and then goes
right back to the carabiner, but on a closer look you can see it going under and the other rope coming down to the carabiner
the two ropes line up almost perfectly,
good thing you caught the other problem before it jammed up on you

Thanks for double checking that! I haven’t tied a ton of hitches so I appreciate another set of eyes. Pics rotated on me so the angles were a little weird but mainly was trying to show the zip tie wedged under the teeth of the RnL

Millennium rope maybe....the muddy is black yellow and suppose to be either 8mm out 9mm

That looks like millennium lifeline

Back