• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

D-loop Rotation

TooBigToFit

So me and peeps and D-loops... They drive me kinda nuts. My stock string, my peep was facing sideways after a the first several dozen shots. I just recently had it restrung (not for the peep issue, but because my serving was starting to separate).

So now with my new string, the peep is thankfully facing where it ought to. But after all the shooting I did to zero and test my new sight, now my D-loop isn't in line with my peep anymore, but the peep is still facing the right direction (causing the peep to be askew at full draw). Should I just retie the loop, or is there something I should be worried about?

Sounds like the string is just settling in. Depending on what kind of string it is, might need 200 shots or so to totally settle. Then you should be good.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

String settling in sometimes does this but if it was me I would either add a twist to string and train the the peep by twisting in opposite direction after each shot until it stays or re tie the loop. It really depends on situation pick one and go for it

I hate d loops and peep sights.My drawlength is short enough I can shoot directly off the string with either a Fletchunter or Fletchmatic release and I use the Bow Anchor sight. My opinion is that d loops were made as a necessity for shorter ATA bows and I have found in my own experience cause more damage to my center serving than shooting directly off the string. I make my own strings/cables but have never liked the whole peep sight situation.

So me and peeps and D-loops... They drive me kinda nuts. My stock string, my peep was facing sideways after a the first several dozen shots. I just recently had it restrung (not for the peep issue, but because my serving was starting to separate).

So now with my new string, the peep is thankfully facing where it ought to. But after all the shooting I did to zero and test my new sight, now my D-loop isn't in line with my peep anymore, but the peep is still facing the right direction (causing the peep to be askew at full draw). Should I just retie the loop, or is there something I should be worried about?

maybe I am not understanding correctly. But Why don’t you rotate your d loop? I wrap a beer koozie around my string a few times (to protect the string/serving), Grab it with pliers, and rotate the d loop to where I want it.

You can also spin the loop a few times around, and it will travel up or down with the serving. This can fine tune your knock point height to get rid of high and low tears.

Try shooting without the peep.....I had been curious but never attempted till recently and I still shooting with the same accuracy as with a peep

Try shooting without the peep.....I had been curious but never attempted till recently and I still shooting with the same accuracy as with a peep

I just tried this with new Gearhead bow I picked up... here are my results peepless with EZV. I think I might be shooting peepless this season.

06d091a20052ff9fa768eba6756b0a0f.jpg

I wouldn’t worry too much about it yet. Like other said give it a few hundred shots and then install a new d loop once it’s settled in. If still is giving you issues then try the twists. First just doesn’t require a press if you don’t have one.

Just had same scenario as you with one of my bows I was WAY past due putting a new string on.

I just tried this with new Gearhead bow I picked up... here are my results peepless with EZV. I think I might be shooting peepless this season.

06d091a20052ff9fa768eba6756b0a0f.jpg
I started shooting without a peep sight a number of years ago and never looked back. You won’t win any tournaments but if you’re goal is to kill deer you will appreciate the advantage of shooting peepless in low light situations. Combine that with a single pin adjustable if you’re primarily shooting whitetail.

I started shooting without a peep sight a number of years ago and never looked back. You won’t win any tournaments but if you’re goal is to kill deer you will appreciate the advantage of shooting peepless in low light situations. Combine that with a single pin adjustable if you’re primarily shooting whitetail.

No tournaments for me.. just meat in freezer and backyard stress relief!

Back in the day when peeps were mostly made for target archers the apertures were tiny and were useless for legal dawn and dusk shot opportunities in the woods. To solve that problem we used to clip on a brightly painted brass nock set and adjust it up or down on the string until it was level with your eye and you could always see it (albeit fuzzy like the string) but it worked fine for most bowhunting situations. White or bright yellow worked the best. The new bowmar nose kisser type apparatus may be ideal for those that do not like peeps to replace the kisser button. You should always have the string "fuzzy to the side of your eye" anyway when shooting without a peep.

So your at brace, your peep looks good but your d loop is off? If so, I'd loosen the d loop and move to correct position. Maybe I'm not understanding.

I agree with ^^^. Sounds like you just need to retie the dloop and align it with your peep. Depending on your peep height, maybe over time you’ll see alight bit of twist in your peep but I’ve never had trouble with it if both are aligned.

Strings settle as already mentioned. Once they finish settling, twist Dloop around to line the peep up at full draw (assuming bow specs are still good). If bow is out of spec, you are better off to twist string to get bow back in spec and then do whatever is necessary to fix peep. I just had to take peep out of my bow after the string settled and turn it around 180 degrees and then slightly twist the Dloop.

If the peep is badly aligned once the string settles, so much so that the d loop should not be used to align it, then there are techniques to fix this that require a bow press. I would never recommend assigning all peep duties to a d loop. Some combo of adding or subtracting a 1/2 twist to top of bottom string end OR carefully rotating the peep within the string (swapping fibers between grooves) will fix it. It is a relatively big subject with tons of resources and how to videos online. I wouldn't want to try to cover it here. Go to a pro shop and pay them is probably easiest way.

Back