• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

De-odourizing a saddle

MJH

SH Member
Guys,
How do you de-scent your saddle? My Kestrel is brand new, and I want to break it in, then wash it. With all the buckles etc the machine seems like a bad idea. Submerge it in a plastic tub with scent control detergent, rinse and hang?

What about tethers, bridges etc? Who has a procedure?

Mine is covered in the blood of my victims....lol

I took a smoker to mine several times but I also do myself and gear in the early season when I sweat a lot. Other than that I haven’t touched it. If they smell the saddle they have already smelled me too lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Small shock loading of ozone and a light washing. Hang dry outside. Store in container with activated carbon. Once you start hunting, fight the losing battle the best you can.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Small shock loading of ozone and a light washing. Hang dry outside. Store in container with activated carbon. Once you start hunting, fight the losing battle the best you can.

2x I have used ozone and light washing and spray down with water mixed with activated carbon.

Ozone and water is an incredible combination. Oftentimes, ozone doesn't destroy scent but the oxidation process transforms it a more water soluble compound. Plus, it's difficult to argue against the value of disinfection and the reduction in odor associated with less biological activity.

Heck I leave mine hanging outside a few weeks (under shelter) and keep it aired outdoors as much as possible. I also rotate saddles so I have as "fresh" a saddle as possible. Washing with water and sportwash works well; the leather just gets light spray with activated carbon water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back