• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Deer carts

Buckkillr

I'm in need. Our private land spot is getting way to many quad, sxs's running around. Killing deer I think is still possible but it's a real annoyance but hey it's there land and the kids are having fun .
With that said were going to go back to my old state land stomping grounds and will need something for hauling out a deer. Any recommendations?

I've used a hand truck, I keep a slayer sled in the back of my jeep. Works fine, but isn't as nice as a good hand truck with big wheels.

I've even used a kayak cart tied to front shoulders with a rope around the head and leaving the rear drag.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Versa cart. Maybe the best cart out there. It has angled wheels and load is low, right on top of the axle. Both of these features help to prevent the cart from wanting to roll.

cart1l.jpg

Last edited:
In another thread, someone said those versacarts are not made anymore:

Best design I ever saw for a deer cart was the NXT Versacart (google it). A gentleman in SC was making them for years and stopped a few years back.
The cart design was incredible (light weight, double wheel low center of gravity).
What I wouldn’t give to trade in my current aluminum cart for that incredible design!

I actually did look at those hawk carts online, they look pretty sweet but I think they were something like 50lbs, guess it doesn't matter alot but hoping for something lighter

If I was gonna get another. I would go with what John E. Recommend. The plastic Ice fishing sled. He says floats well over logs. Don't have to worry about sticks in the wheels. Not tippy.
So depends on what your gonna be dragging through. Open mowed trails that 4 wheel thing is pretty sweet. In the woods I would get a sled. I hate my regular two wheel cart. It works. But not very well. I spend a lot of time adjusting the animal and you gotta tie it down like crazy.

Combo jet sled and academy game cart....I use the sled more but the cart is nice for the long stretch of road ..i keep cart/sled at the truck and if I am lucky enough to shoot something I use that time going to retrieve the cart/sled as the required time to let the animal expire. Most WMA around here u are never too far from a road or fire break of some sort. Put the sled on the cart and go with the cart till it gets thick. The sled is much better in thick woods. Less that 100 bucks for both pieces of gear. Sled fits on the cart

If I was gonna get another. I would go with what John E. Recommend. The plastic Ice fishing sled. He says floats well over logs. Don't have to worry about sticks in the wheels. Not tippy.
So depends on what your gonna be dragging through. Open mowed trails that 4 wheel thing is pretty sweet. In the woods I would get a sled. I hate my regular two wheel cart. It works. But not very well. I spend a lot of time adjusting the animal and you gotta tie it down like crazy.
Hawk crawler works great in woods too.

i have a hawk crawler and like it, pulled a few deer out of the woods with it and it make things easy
I push it on flat ground, pull it over logs and up hills, folds up , great cart

i have a hawk crawler and like it, pulled a few deer out of the woods with it and it make things easy
I push it on flat ground, pull it over logs and up hills, folds up , great cart
Do you find it to be heavy? I've seen 2 different weights now. One said it was 40lb, the other said 54lb.

I’ve got a sled and have used friends carts. Our public mostly has a lot of logging roads that are closed to vehicle traffic. If you are a hundred yards off the logging road a mile deep you’ll want a cart. If you have snow or thick stuff you’ll want the sled. The sled works great in tall grass and leaves. It drags well over small logs and brush. It sucks on sandy logging roads but at no point is it worse than just dragging a deer. I also don’t get shoulder fatigue from reaching back to pull a cart. Just put my saddle over a shoulder and across my chest and use it as a pulling harness.

I used to use a roll up plastic sled that I added holes with grommets to attatch lashing to and when rolled up it was like 3” and 24” wide. Attatch to bottom of my pack going in and roll out when needed. Wish I still had it. Some one liked it better when it went missing from my pack one day. If I could found one again that would be great

Do you find it to be heavy? I've seen 2 different weights now. One said it was 40lb, the other said 54lb.
its heavy to get in and out of the truck, once on the ground it rolls easy, no issues, I'm mid 50's and out of shape

Back