• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Deer Hunting Log

Tom W

Anyone have a template they use for a deer hunting log to record every hunt, weather etc.? I kept one when I was a serious waterfowl hunter before I jumped into archery deer and found it to be very helpful for knowing where to hunt when certain weather conditions etc occurred. Want to see if anyone has a setup thats worked for them.

Check out @DaveT1963 you tube channel. He has a vid called “getting organized for 2018”. May give you some ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow....I feel silly asking but what is a pivot table?

It allows you to take data in a table and organize it in various ways by filtering on different elements and criteria. Poor mans database. So for example I can look at the number of bucks I have seen by month at specific stand locations by wind direction. Or by temperature or weather barometer etc

I’ve kept a log for every hunt for the past 10 years. I’m looking forward to plugging data in someday.

Example:
October 1. AM. Point Stand. T°56. Winds S5-10. Sunny. 8:32 doe from NW corner, dropped to SW no shot. 10:12 two does from point and one down!

Wow,

Dave as someone who appreciates well thought out organization that system is fantastic and what a treasure of information you have, keep that under lock and key. Thanks for the great ideas to get started with especially now that I have more than a bakers dozen of stand sites.

I’ve kept a log for every hunt for the past 10 years. I’m looking forward to plugging data in someday.

Example:
October 1. AM. Point Stand. T°56. Winds S5-10. Sunny. 8:32 doe from NW corner, dropped to SW no shot. 10:12 two does from point and one down!

That’s what I track. But with more detail

That’s what I track. But with more detail

Can’t wait to see your excel technique. I used to add barometric pressure, trend, moon, etc. I do add if a cold front or weather event occurs.

ok - I have a cleaned up template with my season from last year and a couple of sample entries and some pivot tables on a separate tab. Can't post it up to Google Docs til I get off the work network - they block that activity.

@kelly.jayp I like the approach. I made a Google form based on your spreadsheet that will work through a browser and save to a google spreadsheet for those that use the Google.

Here's a link to a copy of the form: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1X3ovajrj2UHpjgN2vDoTI8xXuYxwmF1DRmV0HZYITEQ

If anyone wants to use it for yourself...make a copy and save it to your drive

01_Save Copy.jpg

Change the name if you wish by clicking on "Copy of Hunt Observations" top left of page. Create the spreadsheet to receive responses by clicking on responses near the top. Then click on this symbol...

02_Sheet Icon.jpg

This brings up a dialog box that allow you to create a new spreadsheet and name it as you wish.

Then back to the form and click on the "Send" Button top right of screen. Click on the link icon (1). I shorten the URL (2). Then copy the link (3).

03_Get link.jpg

Take the link and put it in your browser. Going to the link should give you the fillable form that will populate the spreadsheet. This is phone friendly through the browser. Much easier to fill out the form on the phone compared to a spreadsheet. I bookmark the link on my phone and then make a shortcut to it on my home screen. Makes it quick and easy to access and fill out.

If anyone gives this a try...let me know if something doesn't work in my directions and I'll try to troubleshoot for you.

Good luck out there!!

Last edited:
A couple of screenshots from my phone.
Most of it set up with drop downs to keep answers simple and consistent. Will help with sorting the data down the road.
a0274261d69065203d7ebdebbf3011bd.jpg
56f59df3cbad6bbf729a83a1a5514b86.jpg

Sent from my LG-US701 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back