• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Deer Stand Names

Fgirtyman

SH Member
I always get a good chuckle when I hear some of the names we give deer stands or deer spots we hunt.
At our deer camp we have named several stands so everyone knows where everyone is going to be sitting.
Some stands names are a result of a screw up or for some stupid reason.

Examples: 2 Beers Stand named because it took 2 beers to erect.
Slasher Stand, I slashed my wrist climbing it on a step (ER trip).
Butcher Block, Heartbreak Tree, Outhouse Stand, Wus Stand, Hangover Stand etc. etc.

Let's hear some of yours!

This is a blast from the past. Haven't named any stands since I started saddle hunting.

Slam dunk (perfect access and a cliff with water behind) some nice bucks were killed out of it.

Oil well (loud oil well close)

Ash creek (in an ash tree on the edge of water)

There’s a place I intend to put a stand and haven’t yet, we call it “the killing place.” Over the years my brother in law and I have tracked many deer in this gigantic piece of public and some how miraculously no matter where we catch the track or shoot deer, there’s a ridge that leads down to the river where they always take their last breaths.

My buddies and I don't really use fixed stand locations anymore but we do name general areas (anywhere from 5-20 acres) so we can keep track of where we are headed or more easily discuss where we hunted that day. They are generally based on old stand locations though and are pretty straightforward.

Some examples: Jack's Beech, Joe's Valley, The 9 pt stand, The L pines, Bob's Ridge, The knob, The select cut, The clear, End of the road, etc.

After a close call one year I started writing down the name of the area I was headed to on any given hunt on a sheet of paper that I left in the camper. The idea was that if I came up missing my buddies would have a general idea of where to start looking. The only problem with that is I call audibles on my plans so many times between leaving the camper and actually heading to a stand spot that I oftentimes would have been pointing them in the direct wrong direction.

My buddies and I don't really use fixed stand locations anymore but we do name general areas (anywhere from 5-20 acres) so we can keep track of where we are headed or more easily discuss where we hunted that day. They are generally based on old stand locations though and are pretty straightforward.

Some examples: Jack's Beech, Joe's Valley, The 9 pt stand, The L pines, Bob's Ridge, The knob, The select cut, The clear, End of the road, etc.

After a close call one year I started writing down the name of the area I was headed to on any given hunt on a sheet of paper that I left in the camper. The idea was that if I came up missing my buddies would have a general idea of where to start looking. The only problem with that is I call audibles on my plans so many times between leaving the camper and actually heading to a stand spot that I oftentimes would have been pointing them in the direct wrong direction.
Liked the end of the road!

Got two, one for each property I hunt.
The farm is Try Hard cuz no matter how hard I try I just can’t seem to close the deal. I see deer but they never get close enough or I get skunked by livestock. Back when I had a hunting partner he had the same issue. It’s so tantalizing cuz there’s some large bucks that cross there.
The brewery I hunt is the Honey Pot. There’s another fella that hunts the property and he set up a stand years ago in a great travel funnel and it produces every year. I usually harvest two and he usually harvests at least two out of it.

I have to name my stands. Too many of them, otherwise I’d forget. Usually something that happened there or a characteristic of the stand location. Pretty unexciting.
Creek crossing stand
Lookout stand
Trail crossing stand
Big buck stand
Almost stand
Ditch crossing stand

Usually something along those lines.

I have named stands and spots my entire life. Is the easiest way for 2 people to communicate about hunting spots. The Hemlock, saddle, bird flats, duck pond and the likes. There’s 100’s I could name but you get the drift. Some have been better and some worse but if it’s hunted more than once it gets a name.

We only name our box blinds, ladder or a couple of fixed positions stands and they’re pretty generic. The box blind stands are a play on words on luxury houses like one is called the “Condo” one the “Townhouse” and one the “Penthouse” they are homemade debacles that are anything but fancy. One we just call the “New “Stand” as it’s the newest box blind erected in 2014ish. One ladder is the “Point Stand” which overlooks a perpendicular point that comes up to a ridge. The other is a “Ridge Stand” the “West side” stand and the “Village stand”

Last edited:
We have spots we hunt that have names, but no actual stands.

Trotline - the first time we hunted there, someone had left a trotline that was obviously placed when the lake was about 20' above normal. It was about 10' over our heads.
Two-Shot - I missed a buck there, and got him with the second shot. I also killed two does one evening. And my brother missed twice one afternoon. From different trees, but within a 40 yard area.
La Grunta - named for the ranch Hank and Bobby visit on King of the Hill. It's as close to automatic as there is. It's a little tiny section of public that sits between impenetrable button brush down by the lake, and a bunch of feeders on private land up the hill. And best of all, the prime tree is only 30 yards from the road.
The ladder tree - It's a post-oak my brother hunts out of. There are so many horizontal limbs, he gets to 12 feet with no sticks.

On the old club we had a few.

Kris fell spot (where Kris fell out of a stand)
No brow (buck with no brow times seen there)
Bone bump (no bones bumped there to my knowledge)
Parson's stand (on some church owned land)
Bird poo ( had an old shoot house buzzards roosted in)
Kill Kenny's deer spot (near, but not on, Kenny's land)
Dead Man's Curve spot (road near spot had a hairpin turn)
Hog spot (hogs)
The Red stand
Red II
Spong Bob

I usually named my spots after snakes since nobody wanted to hunt near snakes. Copperhead spot, Moccasin hole, The timber rattler.

We have spots we hunt that have names, but no actual stands.

Trotline - the first time we hunted there, someone had left a trotline that was obviously placed when the lake was about 20' above normal. It was about 10' over our heads.
Two-Shot - I missed a buck there, and got him with the second shot. I also killed two does one evening. And my brother missed twice one afternoon. From different trees, but within a 40 yard area.
La Grunta - named for the ranch Hank and Bobby visit on King of the Hill. It's as close to automatic as there is. It's a little tiny section of public that sits between impenetrable button brush down by the lake, and a bunch of feeders on private land up the hill. And best of all, the prime tree is only 30 yards from the road.
The ladder tree - It's a post-oak my brother hunts out of. There are so many horizontal limbs, he gets to 12 feet with no sticks.
I have a couple 3 shot spots... too funny.

When I first started hunting my dad belonged to a club and yes most of the stands had a name, but one has stuck in my mind all these years later. It was a stand called the Waldorf Astoria due to the fact that it was such and an elaborate stand for those days….like a fancy hotel.

I just thought of this one somebody had on the club. We called it the "$%!+house shoot house", for obvious reasons. We left a sigh on it one time that said "Full. needs dumping".

Attachments

• shoot house .jpg
    shoot house .jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 15
Back