• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Distel Hitch vs prusik

public_land

Quick question for the guys using friction knots...

I currently have my lineman belt set up with a prusik knot and a tender. With continued use (tightening and loosening my lineman belt) while setting steps as I climb up the tree, the prusik gets harder and harder to operate with one hand. Does the distel operate easier than the prusik? I intend on using it with a tender also. Is there another friction knot that I might want to try? I have read about several, and these seem to be the knots I am most interested in using. I am not interested in switching to a mechanical ascender like the ropeman 1 or 2.

Thanks in advance!

I'm getting ready to switch myself to another knot as well I'm using a Kleimheist and use the carabiner to move the knot
it appears I have to much rope size difference and the knot binds when use the carabiner like a ropeman

Kleimheist Video

I've seen a thread on here where climbers are using a ring/d-ring to move their knots
one hand adjustment linemans rope

version 2

https://saddlehunter.com/community/index.php?threads/simple-srt-video.9677/

did a little more research seems this subject has been discussed more than once
a micro pulley is another version

I'm thinking distel as well to switch too and also fixing the rope size difference so the smaller rope doesn't bind, grabs great but a bear to move forward with the carabiner

Last edited:
My vote would be the distel. I like the VT, it's just a long hitch, only reason I don't use it. That's just me though.

Distel with about $3 in a cheapie non-weight bearing biner and strap. after moving to that, I sold all 6 of my ropemans. I feel more comfortable with no mechanical ascenders.

I tied the VT, but it was much longer than the distel.

Just my 0.02

I use and still use a distal hitchs for saddle hunting. I used to use them for every thing but now use a ropeman 1 on my tether since I like a long bridge and lowish tether height and the ropeman gives me a little more room to do that. The distel, schwabish, and VT all adjust much more easily even after loading and unloading over and over. VT is a little long for saddle hunting once its set except for a lineman's belt IMO, distal and schwabish are shorter I prefer the distel.

For a cheap shizzll I use This snap silence it with a o-ring between the ring and snap or jb weld it at a 90 degree and wrap the part that contact the biner.

Back