• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Simple SRT video

Very good!!! One question still for me is when you reach hunting height do you transition to your longer bridge and hang from the same rope you used for climbing or are you going to girth hitch a shorter tether and hang from that???

Very good!!! One question still for me is when you reach hunting height do you transition to your longer bridge and hang from the same rope you used for climbing or are you going to girth hitch a shorter tether and hang from that???
I switch over to my normal tether and bridge

With a grigri or lifeguard when you take weight off the rope to adjust yourself or stand up the device uncams from the rope. It's simple to just engage it again but I like the safety and solid feeling of my normal tether

With a grigri or lifeguard when you take weight off the rope to adjust yourself or stand up the device uncams from the rope. It's simple to just engage it again but I like the safety and solid feeling of my normal tether

I see. I imagine myself just a ropeman or prusik to the climb rope and switching to it. Then putting the grigri away for the duration of the hunt. Then switch back to rappel down. Doesn’t work for you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see. I imagine myself just a ropeman or prusik to the climb rope and switching to it. Then putting the grigri away for the duration of the hunt. Then switch back to rappel down. Doesn’t work for you?

You can actually just use a ropeman instead of a lifeguard or grigri to climb with and just hang off your climbing rope as your tether. Works great. But you would have to take it off and switch to an ATC device to rappel so your switching anyway but it would be one less switch than going grigri then ropeman then grigri again.

You can actually just use a ropeman instead of a lifeguard or grigri to climb with and just hang off your climbing rope as your tether. Works great. But you would have to take it off and switch to an ATC device to rappel so your switching anyway but it would be one less switch than going grigri then ropeman then grigri again.

Yes, I forgot about that! In fact, with that in mind, I may just go with asimple fig8 and prusik since it’s only a 20-30ft rappel

It would definitely be cheaper to use a figure 8 and prusik or an ATC and prusik.

How easy is it to throw your throw line up 20-30' and bypass limbs to get to a desired height? This method has me thinking...looks really cool but I wanna be sure I can get to where I need before I commit any cash to these ascenders/belay devices

Wow that looks like a great setup. Especially if you prehang some 550 cord like you mentioned.

Have you ever had a limb break or crack and make you nervous?

Where did you purchase the hardware for this?

How easy is it to throw your throw line up 20-30' and bypass limbs to get to a desired height? This method has me thinking...looks really cool but I wanna be sure I can get to where I need before I commit any cash to these ascenders/belay devices
30 feet isn't really a problem. Might have to throw it a few times to get it over the limb. Going around and passing limbs on the way up isnt an issue at all because the rope would be attached above them. It's actually easier than trying to hang sticks when there are a lot of limbs

Wow that looks like a great setup. Especially if you prehang some 550 cord like you mentioned.

Have you ever had a limb break or crack and make you nervous?

Where did you purchase the hardware for this?
I normally just throw it over a limb then girth hitch around the tree trunk so it's not an issue. I pass the throw line around the tree before I attach the climbing rope so it goes up around the tree. Pay close attention in the part of the video where I send the rope up the tree and where I show how to attach the paracord to retrieve the rope and you can see how I had it around the trunk and not the limb. I would just buy the hardware used on Ebay or off the classifieds here if you can and save a lot of money.

Great video simple and informative. I also like to incorporate some type of foot ascender, but that’s personal preference. Presenting is a must for this to be an effective method imo. I’m going to try and preseting trees while doing my spring scouting this year and dedicate my climbing method to srt. Hard to beat if trees are preset. Public land legal, takes less than a couple minute to hit 30 ft and quiet.

Exactly. Going through the whole process slowly and explaining every step took me 6 minutes 30 seconds to go up and down the tree and retrieve my rope. With a pre set tree with paracord you can be 30 feet up and ready to hunt in under 4 minutes and it fits inside a backpack. You can even do this in a tree without limbs if you pre set it with a screw in step above your hunting height and some paracod left in the tree.

Man you may not know it but you may be changing my saddle hunting experience in general with this post!!

My question for you is this:
How long is your rope you use for hunting?
Exactly. Going through the whole process slowly and explaining every step took me 6 minutes 30 seconds to go up and down the tree and retrieve my rope. With a pre set tree with paracord you can be 30 feet up and ready to hunt in under 4 minutes and it fits inside a backpack. You can even do this in a tree without limbs if you pre set it with a screw in step above your hunting height and some paracod left in the tree.

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

Back