• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY Buck Boiler

GCTerpfan

Staff member
SH Member
Here are some pics of my homemade buck boiler for making European mounts. I originally got this idea from a DIY section of another hunting website (now forgotten) but have made some changes to the orginal that make a big difference. My first version used a plastic trash can and wired the electric water heater element directly. This worked okay but didn't give you a way to control the heat and after 2 or 3 skulls the plastic trash can became so soft from heating and cooling you couldn't pick it up anymore when full of water.

This is version 2. Its basically a 1500 watt hot water heating element ($10) threaded through the side of a galvanized bucket ($12) and sealed with rtv. I wired the element to a thermostat my father had taken from an old hot water heater and basically just taped it to the side of the bucket with Gorilla tape. I had to add a couple layers of tape between the sensor on the thermostat and the side of the bucket to act as insulation. The thermostat only adjusts from 120-150 degrees but, with the tape added it allows the water to reach total range of about 170-220. I set the thermostat to keep the water about 190 when doing a skull. It's not pretty but works well:

2018-01-07 17.12.51.jpg 2018-01-07 17.13.11.jpg

Here are pics of two deer I just did. The buck on the right was shot by my 9 yr old nephew and the buck on the left was killed by my son on youth day.
2018-01-07 17.12.09.jpg
The buck on the right is a 1.5 year old 10 point with two small stickers. I haven't seen this heavy of beading on a 1.5 yr old deer before.
2018-01-07 17.11.27.jpg

Back