• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY Rappel Rope Bag Build Along

You could make a pile of money selling those.... I would buy a couple.

DIY Rope Bag Vid 2 is up! I go over how to get all of the parts prepped, and get the pockets and hood put together. Next video is putting it all together.

Thank you for the vids. It’s awesome you took the time to show the process and steps of the build. Very nice. I like the flap on the bulk rope section to keep it from flopping out. Nice touch. I don’t have sewing equip to do myself but might have check into some. So many options when you can DIY. Don’t think you’d have an issue selling for $50-60 all day.

I promised @PapaBear a pouch since he started bouncing ideas off me in October or November. Life has been busy, so haven't had time for a custom project until now. Here's what I came up with based on @always89y design. I liked the idea of a hood for the pouch, but I couldn't seem to come up with an implementation I was satisfied with and would stay well out of the way when dropping a rope into the center pocket.

One idea I did play around with was omitting the vertical buckle, and adding a loop of reinforced webbing coming off the lip of the hood, and running the top compression strap through instead. The reinforceed loop of webbing held the loop open to easily snake the G-hook through, and held the hood down.

open.jpg
back.jpg
rolledfront.jpg
rolledback.jpg

Last edited:
Nice! The reason I came up with the hood was to keep water out. Doent interfere with rope placement at all.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I also omitted the draw string. It doesn't really serve any real purpose as the rope stays in place on its own.

I notice you went with all webbing main pocket. Any issues with it slipping out of the bottom of the bag?

I notice you went with all webbing main pocket. Any issues with it slipping out of the bottom of the bag?

That's just the angle of the photo. Here's another angle.

mainpocket.jpg
pocketbottom.jpg

Very nice. I like the idea of it being vertical rather than horizontal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks awesome. What do you think of this design compared to the horizontal roll pouch?

Overall, I think I like the horizontal pouch better for my needs. I have plenty of room to hold a horizontal pouch on my saddle, and prefer the way a horizontal pouch rolls up^. If I moved to a vertically oriented pouch, I think I would make my own version of the water bottle pouch guys are using, with lighter construction, less webbing, and a top lid that flips outwards. However, the vertical roll pouch will work well for a lot of guys, and has a lot going for it as is:
- Easy zipperless access to 2-3 separate storage areas
- Bulk is distributed more evenly by hanging belay device from a loop in the top of a pouch panel
- Design is easier to customize and capable of carrying more than just rappel system***
- Better enclosed rope storage

*** one could add an outer pocket to the horizontal roll up pouch, as seen in Tethrd's prototype

I promised @PapaBear a pouch since he started bouncing ideas off me in October or November. Life has been busy, so haven't had time for a custom project until now. Here's what I came up with based on @always89y design. I liked the idea of a hood for the pouch, but I couldn't seem to come up with an implementation I was satisfied with and would stay well out of the way when dropping a rope into the center pocket.

One idea I did play around with was omitting the vertical buckle, and adding a loop of reinforced webbing coming off the lip of the hood, and running the top compression strap through instead. The reinforceed loop of webbing held the loop open to easily snake the G-hook through, and held the hood down.

View attachment 43477
Are you running a double needle machine? Makes the bias look very tidy. Nice work on the whole thing. I'm in the early stages of making one now. Doing a little at a time and thinking about what changes to make in between work. Thank you and always89y for the ideas.

Are you running a double needle machine? Makes the bias look very tidy. Nice work on the whole thing. I'm in the early stages of making one now. Doing a little at a time and thinking about what changes to make in between work. Thank you and always89y for the ideas.

Thanks, and thanks again to @always89y ! I am using a double needle machine. There are still a couple little kinks to work out with it, but overall I'm extremely happy with how it's working for me.

Finished it today. Just kind of took off. Sewed during study breaks because damn, intro to research is a rough class. I ran my middle pocket all the way up kinda by accident but it worked out because HTP is pretty stiff and unruly. A few small mistakes here and there but it's a first run for me and it'll work. Lots of lessons learned and I might go back and clean some stuff up. (Binding edges sucks even with a swing-away binder from Sailrite). Definitely not as clean as 4090Sharps double-needle thread injector.

One thing I did do I thought I'd share. This took some planning but I was able to pull it off because I used an inside and outside fabric. I put a piece of webbing across the middle section in between fabrics where I knew the PALS hang straps would attach. So the attachments are sewn into a horizontal strap which is sewn into the two vertical seams. This way, the weight hangs on the stronger strap (not just the fabric) and the heavier-stitched vertical seams carry the weight. Time will tell if it works. If it doesn't, then I get to make a better one!

Attachments

• IMG_0122.jpeg
    IMG_0122.jpeg
    101.4 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0123.jpeg
    IMG_0123.jpeg
    103.6 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0120.jpeg
    IMG_0120.jpeg
    112 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0121.jpeg
    IMG_0121.jpeg
    155.6 KB · Views: 71
(Binding edges sucks even with a swing-away binder from Sailrite). Definitely not as clean as 4090Sharps double-needle thread injector.

Cool implementation, looks great! If it's any consolation, I took the coward's way out by using corners on my design. Curves can be a real pain to navigate. I had intended to curve them, but forgot to cut them when the time came--it was almost certainly my subconscious suppressing the design and avoiding the mental anguish of curved binding :laughing:

Cool implementation, looks great! If it's any consolation, I took the coward's way out by using corners on my design. Curves can be a real pain to navigate. I had intended to curve them, but forgot to cut them when the time came--it was almost certainly my subconscious suppressing the design and avoiding the mental anguish of curved binding :laughing:
Thanks!

Yes, curves are tough. Tricky even with a binding attachment. Curve is such a natural place to start binding but I’ll never end binding at a curve again. That didn’t go so well. They’re one more thing to think about when adding the side pockets too. Next one will be squared.

Back