• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY straight webbing aider

Snacks

I’ve been scrolling through the threads looking to see what people have done for straight multi step webbing aiders for my new Helium’s and was only able to find single step aiders (I’m sure Imnot searching correctly).
I originally made a 4 step offset aider and after trying it out a few times was not happy with it and decided the bottom step was unnecessary. I’ll also add my sewing skills are minimal so this had to be done with knots.
After a few ideas I decided to start with about a 15ft sections of 1” tubular webbing and crossed the webbing secured by water knots at 18” with 9 1/2” crossing sections. To keep the steps open I ran them through the slots in the bottom step and connected to webbing behind the stick above the teeth. I also whipped some paracord to firm the steps up.
Just throwing it out there to see what guys think, anything they’ve done to improve these to shorten the learning curve.
Good luck to all this season!E887A97F-3EB2-4EE3-A77D-3FCB1387FB04.jpegF6527B37-81DC-4A7C-91CB-F285F464774E.jpegC35A9741-E8B7-49F1-A8CD-0A91A5611B82.jpeg

I’ve been scrolling through the threads looking to see what people have done for straight multi step webbing aiders for my new Helium’s and was only able to find single step aiders (I’m sure Imnot searching correctly).
I originally made a 4 step offset aider and after trying it out a few times was not happy with it and decided the bottom step was unnecessary. I’ll also add my sewing skills are minimal so this had to be done with knots.
After a few ideas I decided to start with about a 15ft sections of 1” tubular webbing and crossed the webbing secured by water knots at 18” with 9 1/2” crossing sections. To keep the steps open I ran them through the slots in the bottom step and connected to webbing behind the stick above the teeth. I also whipped some paracord to firm the steps up.
Just throwing it out there to see what guys think, anything they’ve done to improve these to shorten the learning curve.
Good luck to all this season!View attachment 34000View attachment 34001View attachment 34002
Could you share a picture of the knots at the steps in a more magnified view. Thanks.

Could you share a picture of the knots at the steps in a more magnified view. Thanks.
They’re just water knots. I had to have them facing opposite ways so the webbing could run into each other properly, which cause one side to look better than the other, but functionality is the same. The whole basis of this was to keep it as simple as possible. Hope these pictures help.136A1AB8-7864-483E-8FD1-6EA4D60AB8A7.jpeg7A6E93C2-2B1F-4A53-A7AC-D0EFEC87CC88.jpeg

They’re just water knots. I had to have them facing opposite ways so the webbing could run into each other properly, which cause one side to look better than the other, but functionality is the same. The whole basis of this was to keep it as simple as possible. Hope these pictures help.View attachment 34009View attachment 34010
I wantEd to do this myself and was wondering how I could incorporate simple water knots. I was overthinking I guess. Thanks for the pictures, going to make some!

Looks good and functional. I know there are multiple threads on here about what people have used to add rigidity to the steps to keep them open. My experience with those aiders is that when you step on the bottom step, it pulls everything downward and the sides inward which makes it harder to get your big boots into the next, now narrower step. Hopefully your design will prevent that but only one way to find out for sure - give it a try!

Looks good and functional. I know there are multiple threads on here about what people have used to add rigidity to the steps to keep them open. My experience with those aiders is that when you step on the bottom step, it pulls everything downward and the sides inward which makes it harder to get your big boots into the next, now narrower step. Hopefully your design will prevent that but only one way to find out for sure - give it a try!
I wanted to use the hard rubber hose or old garden hose method, but I got impatient and wanted to make it tonight, and also think this will pack a little neater. They don’t collapse too much when I use them, I’ll see how they feel when it’s 15° and dark at the end of the season haha

I did same thing but for these differences. I folded a cheap rope in half to 9" long and put it inside the tubular webbing to hold open step. I also tied a water knot at top to drape it over the bottom of stick in case I didnt want to use it. But I like the tie through the step hole. I also left a 3 in. tail at the water knots so I can check if its still holding.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I wanted to use the hard rubber hose or old garden hose method, but I got impatient and wanted to make it tonight, and also think this will pack a little neater. They don’t collapse too much when I use them, I’ll see how they feel when it’s 15° and dark at the end of the season haha
Well done. Judging by both your avatar and use of water knots, I'm guessing you're a fireman, too. Instead of rubber hose, maybe the department has some OOS forestry line laying around. The diameter should be about right, and it lays flat when it's not charged. Pretty durable stuff too. Just a thought.

I actually looked and we didn’t have any laying around haha! But I know where there’s plenty of it burnt up in the woods if I feel I want some.

Back