• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY X-Wing

Is it worth it to save.....1lb?????? I love my Ambush.

I have no idea, lol.

I've a DIY Ambush platform that I thought I'd turn into a LWHC-like climbing platform, but heard rumors that we'd see that this season from a manufacturer, so I waited....and here we are without one....so I'm not chopping mine up.

I just sort of looked at it yesterday and saw the X-Wing(ish) shape and thought I could goad you into trying it, lol.

Absolutely not…. You will be left with only the side part of the platform behind the pivot point.

Yeah, it would probably flip up if you weighted towards the back of the wings with your forefoot.

Probably be ok with a DIY JX3 where you don't pressure it like that, if you're cognizant. lol.

Last edited:
If you don't go as aggressive and cut along the blue lines you may create a more "usable" platform, not sure how it would actually benefit a person other than the .75 lbs you save

Attachments

• 0201B093-E2B7-434B-903D-4BC97807B09A.jpeg
    0201B093-E2B7-434B-903D-4BC97807B09A.jpeg
    53.7 KB · Views: 83
If you don't go as aggressive and cut along the blue lines you may create a more "usable" platform, not sure how it would actually benefit a person other than the .75 lbs you save

I don't really care for the angle that induces, but someone skilled at welding might be able to fix that up. It would put the wings forward of the post.

What would benefit a user? I think what the X-wing style platform does is offer a ros style foot placement as well as some standing space. This would be similar. Frankly, on smaller trees ROS is probably better than the X-wing bars, but on a big tree, the X-wing has better geometry for leaning on those bars than a ROS.

Last edited:
Why not just bolt angle stock "wings" to a klemz as opposed to modding a $300 platform?

$300, yeah just buy the X-Wing ($299) then.

The DIY Ambush was only $80.

Don't know the current market, but a Klemz could at one time fetch a sum.

I might be a little more trusting of the machined aluminum too.

But hey, it's already been pointed out that the idea isn't that great. If I was interested, I could probably come up with some work arounds for aforementioned issues, but it's not worth my time and effort this close to season when I got $300 for an X-Wing. :)

$300, yeah just buy the X-Wing ($299) then.

The DIY Ambush was only $80.

Don't know the current market, but a Klemz could at one time fetch a sum.

I might be a little more trusting of the machined aluminum too.

But hey, it's already been pointed out that the idea isn't that great. If I was interested, I could probably come up with some work arounds for aforementioned issues, but it's not worth my time and effort this close to season when I got $300 for an X-Wing. :)
What's DIY about that platform? I just dropped $230 on an ambush and didn't feel like I got screwed. Last time I saw a klemz it was listed at like $125. Wouldn't sell mine for that though.

What's DIY about that platform? I just dropped $230 on an ambush and didn't feel like I got screwed. Last time I saw a klemz it was listed at like $125. Wouldn't sell mine for that though.

LWCG sold platforms for the Ambush as "DIY Platforms". They didn't include a post, and with the WEXP discount, they were under $75.

I got an Ambush post from another forum member, others machined their post or DIY'd them from square stock.

LWCG sold platforms for the Ambush as "DIY Platforms". They didn't include a post, and with the WEXP discount, they were under $75.

I got an Ambush post from another forum member, others machined their post or DIY'd them from square stock.
That's a heck of a deal.

That's a heck of a deal.

What I used last 2 seasons and still my main choice unless I am testing out other stuff. But the Klemz still see the wood once a while too due to it compactness.

Back