• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Does it ever end?

Andrew920

SH Member
Last season was my first for bow hunting from a saddle. In the buildup to the season I was buying gear across 3 categories: bow and arrows, saddle gear, clothing for hunting. I figured that it would be an expensive year, and it was. My mistake was that I thought once I had the necessities purchased the cost would go down.

No real point to this post I guess other than to try and figure out if everyone else ever finds themselves puzzled as to why their bank balance has dropped dramatically and there are piles of absolutely must have pieces of equipment in their basement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sometimes have to remind myself "You can't save money by buying things on sale that you don't need".

I'm also guilty of when I like something a lot, I buy a spare. This mindset was fostered, in part, by the covid supply chain issues.

I couldn't find my preferred arrow anywhere, for example, so when I found them, I bought a spare dozen shafts.

Etc

Just know that the best thing you can do is: 1. find better places to hunt, 2. scout, and 3. practice shooting your bow (especially in scenarios somewhat realistic to hunting).

Yea I do this every year. I tell myself I should be good on gear and then end up buying more crap. Saying that this Turkey season and Deer season I’m hoping to be done. Nothing came out that really excited me so that’s helping. I’ve been buying a ton of crap for guns so I’m trying to mainly categorize my spending into guns. Oh and some fishing gear.
How much you spend is really up to you though. It’s a rabbit hole. If you think hunting stuff is bad try guns plus hunting plus fishing.

I’ll make a separate post about bows. They haven’t hardly changed in 10ish years, maybe more. Don’t get caught up on buying new bows every year. That will help.

I always figured it like this. Man is never satisfied and never will be in this life, with that being said I have always told my wife that I work to provide things my family needs and what’s extra is for our wants. I have always been the guy that if she wanted it or I wanted it and could afford it without affecting the necessity’s of life then go for it. I’ve seen way too many people in life hoard up money and not buying things they could enjoy, doing without “even needful things” all through life just to leave it all behind and I’ve told many of them that they can guarantee that the ones behind them will spend it freely. The only problem that occurs is when we spend money that we don’t have extra to spend.

Ecclesiastics 2 vs 24
There is nothing better for a man, than that he should eat and drink, and that he should make his soul enjoy good in his labour. This also I saw, that it was from the hand of God.

My wife wonders why I need so much saddle stuff that never gets used and I have to remind her that this a healthy vice to have…it could be hookers and heroin.

I’m gonna try that reasoning when the next package hits the front porch. I’ll report back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Once you figure everything out and and nail down an efficient system for yourself, the excitement wears off and the forum becomes a little boring.

Next thing you know, you're watching people bicker about poison arrows, scent control, and moving back to hang on stands. :p :tearsofjoy:

Once you figure everything out and and nail down an efficient system for yourself, the excitement wears off and the forum becomes a little boring.

Next thing you know, you're watching people bicker about poison arrows, scent control, and moving back to hang on stands. :p :tearsofjoy:

Yes and no, I’m happy in confident in my system, but I’m going to commit to one sticking next season the give it a go knowing I can go back. For me I like to tinker and this fills that space perfectly lol.

Yeah, it's weird not having something to tinker with.

That happened, so I went ahead and bought Tethrd One sticks so I can tinker with the aider and attachment to pack system and attachment to saddle system.

I'm now waiting for dark gray paracord because it'll look better on the stick than the olive drab I have!

The means are the end for some folks on here, and that's fine, I like to tinker a little too.

But yes it does, unless you're chasing the new and shiny monster it should get to where your upgrades are insignificant pretty quickly.

I'm always fighting an internal battle with climbing methods though. It's my white whale and although not exactly a saddle specific issue, since I started the first two decades of my hunting career in a climber, everything since just seems like a major hassle although there obviously advantages there too. I've been through probably a dozen or more climbing methods, and the expense adds up.

Yeah, it's weird not having something to tinker with.

That happened, so I went ahead and bought Tethrd One sticks so I can tinker with the aider and attachment to pack system and attachment to saddle system.

I'm now waiting for dark gray paracord because it'll look better on the stick than the olive drab I have!

I tinkered with meat hauling packs this season. I like to process my own and I typically just dump the scraps out back...

... But this season I had an epiphany of sorts. Why am I gutting and dragging, only to skin and debone in my garage later?... When I could skin and debone in the field, eliminating two miserable steps (gut/drag), thus leaving all the ticks in the woods where they belong instead of relocating them to my backyard, just so my kids can become their next victim host.

I have an Eberlestock X2 and Mystery Ranch Pop-up chilling in the basement right now. I put together a field processing kit for deboning and hauling the meat out. That said, I guess I am just as guilty, haha. o_O

Does a purchase/relapse still count if you’re buying it for someone else who is paying you back?

Back