• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Does your cast platform have a Chromate (Chem film, Alodine, Irridite, or Bonderite) Conversion Coating?

Plebe

SH Member
Cause I don't know.

It's not Powder Coated. It's not Anodized. Could it be MIL-DTL-5541 Type 1 or 2 (clear)?

Love to hear all about it.

And if you can elaborate on a Novix "Frost Coating"

"Our Frost Coating eliminates shine from otherwise raw aluminum, helping you better blend into the whitetail woods. It also provides texture for better grip in slippery elements."

Is this just Sand Blasted?

Following, you know more than I do and I'm very curious

And if you can elaborate on a Novix "Frost Coating"

"Our Frost Coating eliminates shine from otherwise raw aluminum, helping you better blend into the whitetail woods. It also provides texture for better grip in slippery elements."

Is this just Sand Blasted?

Powder coat

Cause I don't know.

It's not Powder Coated. It's not Anodized. Could it be MIL-DTL-5541 Type 1 or 2 (clear)?

Love to hear all about it.
I can check the specs on Monday and tell you if that’s the spec we use for Alodine. Do they call out that spec specifically or are you asking do we think thats what they treat it with? The Alodine that I’m familiar with is a chemical coating like you say and it adds no thickness to the surface other than a stained goldish look. It does help with corrosion and could be painted over. It is cheaper and easier to apply than anodizing the part. Not sure what the surface finish requirements are to be able to apply each finish. Since casts are very rough I’m sure there are only a few applicable coatings. Your may be able to narrow it down by searching for cast aluminum finishes or something like that. Is that sort of what you are asking?

I can check the specs on Monday and tell you if that’s the spec we use for Alodine. Do they call out that spec specifically or are you asking do we think thats what they treat it with? The Alodine that I’m familiar with is a chemical coating like you say and it adds no thickness to the surface other than a stained goldish look. It does help with corrosion and could be painted over. It is cheaper and easier to apply than anodizing the part. Not sure what the surface finish requirements are to be able to apply each finish. Since casts are very rough I’m sure there are only a few applicable coatings. Your may be able to narrow it down by searching for cast aluminum finishes or something like that. Is that sort of what you are asking?

Similar to castguard?

Chemical Chromate (Alodine) is an aluminum treatment intended to reduce oxidation of aluminum materials. It doesn't affect electrical conductivity like anodize or powder coat and is used a lot in the aerospace industry where electrical bonding is required but all the materials still need corrosion resistance against severe corrosive conditions. It's not as effective as anodize but it's better than nothing. Realistically in our platform applications the corrosive environment isn't severe enough to cause appreciable damage in our usage.

EDIT: @gcr0003 is correct also in that the chem. chrome process will aid in paint retention on aluminum components. If you've ever painted raw aluminum you know how hard it is to get a lasting coating.

Last edited:
Could you elaborate on surface finish req's? Curious mostly

Could you elaborate on surface finish req's? Curious mostly
I was just thinking that because of the surface finish of cast aluminum that it may not be able to be coated certain ways. Though since they’re chemical coatings or passivation finishes maybe there isn’t a surface finish requirement. Looks like it would just visually be course and rough post costing/finish if the material was course before finish, but you can still do most of the finishes mentioned.

Similar to castguard?
That’s not exactly what I was thinking but cast gaurd could be applicable. I’m not familiar with it but short overview read like an anodizing specifically for cast aluminum parts.

I'm trying to ascertain what coatings have been/are being used on cast aluminum hunting platforms, and which platforms use/used what, if any.

It was brought to light that TL doesn't coat their cast platforms. I've only had cast platforms in the form of treestands (from Lone Wolf), and currently use one thats modified as a climbing platform. It doesn't seem to have a coating, but I had bought and sold a newer LW Assault Hand Climber that had cast aluminum that looked different, like it may have had a coating. I had a LW hang-on that was white flecked as well, but got rid of it.

What I've found so far:

XOP, "Durable, abrasion-resistant powder coat finish"

Novix, "Frost Coating eliminates shine from otherwise raw aluminum, helping you better blend into the whitetail woods. It also provides texture for better grip in slippery elements." @enkriss says its a powder coating, so probably Matt Clear Powder Coat then.

TL, none

Cruzr, no mention

Tethrd, no mention

LW, no website anymore

Having never used platforms from TL, Cruzr, Tethrd, Novix, I wondered if any use a Chromate Conversion coating. Or what.

So that's where I'm coming from.

Last edited:
I'm trying to ascertain what coatings have been/are being used on cast aluminum hunting platforms, and which platforms use/used what, if any.

It was brought to light that TL doesn't coat their cast platforms. I've only had cast platforms in the form of treestands (from Lone Wolf), and currently use one thats modified as a climbing platform. It doesn't seem to have a coating, but I had bought and sold a newer LW Assault Hand Climber that had cast aluminum that looked different, like it may have had a coating.

What I've found so far:

XOP, "Durable, abrasion-resistant powder coat finish"

Novix, "Frost Coating eliminates shine from otherwise raw aluminum, helping you better blend into the whitetail woods. It also provides texture for better grip in slippery elements." @enkriss says its a powder coating, so probably Matt Clear Powder Coat then.

TL, none

Cruzr, no mention

Tethrd, no mention

LW, no website anymore

Having never used platforms from TL, Cruzr, Tethrd, Novix, I wondered if any use a Chromate Conversion coating. Or what.

So that's where I'm coming from.
I checked my old Lone Wolf owners manuals and there is no mention of any kind of coating or specs other then a weight rating.
How will a non coated platform hold up for our guys along the coast??

I checked my old Lone Wolf owners manuals and there is no mention of any kind of coating or specs other then a weight rating.
How will a non coated platform hold up for our guys along the coast??

Yeah, I've hunted MD the last couple of years, and wonder how salt marsh hunting does or does not impact them over time.

Like, is a coating really important or not?

I sold commercial air conditioning in the Virginia Beach VA area.
Salt in the air can corrode a ac condenser (aluminum fins) or painted steel cabinet rather quickly unless it is coated with special coating. Some manufactures suggest coating if the equipment is installed within 50 miles of a coast.

This is all speculation but id wager any "coating" is all gonna be a powder coat. Any "texture" just a sandblast or textured power coat. That the most cost effective....I highly doubt they paying more for any other special coating or treatment

Back