• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Double sit drag..

Gobblergetter23

I have looked through several threads now... haven't found anything. Has anyone sewn two sit drags together to give you more surface area and make it more comfortable???

I don’t think it’s needed. You could use another as a back support maybe if you’re into that kinda thing.

I currently hunt out of a mesh trophy line and like the larger surface area... I just sold my SD that was one thing that i didn't care much for was the lack of surface area for my butt... I like to sit most of the time maybe that is why...

I haven’t seen two seen together and don’t think I would want to. I have used two and like the ability to move them around to put weight where I want it. I usually used one like a back band but just lower. I have since bought a kestrel and mantis and neither was more comfortable than two sit drags. I do find myself more comfortable with using aiders and tackling more awkward climbs with the “real saddles” just because of safety.
If you decide to try going that route You can make it as simple or complex as you would like. One of them needs a belt and the loops sewn along with abridge. The other needs just a bridge.
If I had access to a good sewing machine and wanted to trick out a sit drag this is what I would do.
See 1” tubular webbing across the top back side. Make some molle webbing if you would like. Make sure that’s the side that the sit drag webbing is just butted together. That way you are reinforcing what I feel is the weakest part of the sit drag.
Instead of just folding the bridge loops onto themselves and sewing make a continuous loop of amsteel for each one and wrap them around it and sew.
Wrap the ends of the one inch webbing around the amsteel loops and sew them.
Then make your belt with one inch webbing and a one inch cobra buckle. It doesn’t need to go all the way around your backside as long as you sew it through the one inch webbing you sewed across the back.
At that point I would feel secure with just the sit drag. The second sit drag just needs a bridge tied into it. I guess you could sew them together but I think the ability to use one as a back rest when needed or putting them both under you and having the ability to overlap them or spread them farther apart is better than being seen. Similar to Anderson sling.

@George Clark .......My cousin george sewed two sit drags together and besides being beyond comfortable, it is now double the weight compacity. He can give you the specifics.

@George Clark .......My cousin george sewed two sit drags together and besides being beyond comfortable, it is now double the weight compacity. He can give you the specifics.

Thank you for the information I have a heavy duty 1/2horse sewing machineThat my stepdad uses for vehicle Upholstery. I thought about tackling this because my brother was interested in a Sit Drag and he likes the comfort of my trophy line.

I did find out a thread where George talked about sewing two together but there were not any specifics.

I’ve got 24 foot of Amstel blue laying around I like the mods you were talking about Eric

Thank you for the information I have a heavy duty 1/2horse sewing machineThat my stepdad uses for vehicle Upholstery. I thought about tackling this because my brother was interested in a Sit Drag and he likes the comfort of my trophy line.

I did find out a thread where George talked about sewing two together but there were not any specifics.

I’ve got 24 foot of Amstel blue laying around I like the mods you were talking about Eric

I've tried em all....only thing (for me) that comes close to the double sit drag is a size 2 kestrel. Slips in my camelback sized pack and weighs less than a kestrel.

This is my prototype that I hand sewed together and added the webbing the sit drag comes with to the fabric portion. To me, adding a little structure to the fabric made the most difference in comfort.

Attachments

• 20181024_191156.jpg
    20181024_191156.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 432
  • 20181024_191316.jpg
    20181024_191316.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 455
  • 20181024_191242.jpg
    20181024_191242.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 460
I've tried em all....only thing (for me) that comes close to the double sit drag is a size 2 kestrel. Slips in my camelback sized pack and weighs less than a kestrel.

This is my prototype that I hand sewed together and added the webbing the sit drag comes with to the fabric portion. To me, adding a little structure to the fabric made the most difference in comfort.
Thank you! This is the stuff I was looking for I think I’m going to combine a couple of these ideas when I get everything in

Thank you! This is the stuff I was looking for I think I’m going to combine a couple of these ideas when I get everything in

Yeah, I think my final sit drag (s) version will be bomb proofing it using seat belt webbing (6000lb breaking strength ) around the perimeter with the double amsteel bridge. ....oh.....she'll hold.

If comfort is your thing put a 1.5 inch piece of foam on the sit drag and sew a cover over it with a zipper in the back. That way you can get the foam out if it gets soiled. Here is mine. It is super comfortable. I added a matching back brace which also adds to comfort.

Attachments

• .....JPG
    .....JPG
    479.8 KB · Views: 276
If you’re interested in putting two sit drags together, look at @Vtbow thread on my modded anderson - the anderson tree sling is essentially two sit drags held together on steel oval links. Bridge connects to that. Only difference is the webbing is continuous that makes the two pieces, not two separate pieces altogether. I’m still tinkering with mine but will be making a hunt next week. It feels like it will be more comfortable than my minimal saddles because of having four 2” pieces of webbing taking most of the pressure.

Do
If comfort is your thing put a 1.5 inch piece of foam on the sit drag and sew a cover over it with a zipper in the back. That way you can get the foam out if it gets soiled. Here is mine. It is super comfortable. I added a matching back brace which also adds to comfort.
you grip your bow that tight? LOLOLOL:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

If you’re interested in putting two sit drags together, look at @Vtbow thread on my modded anderson - the anderson tree sling is essentially two sit drags held together on steel oval links. Bridge connects to that. Only difference is the webbing is continuous that makes the two pieces, not two separate pieces altogether. I’m still tinkering with mine but will be making a hunt next week. It feels like it will be more comfortable than my minimal saddles because of having four 2” pieces of webbing taking most of the pressure.

You mean this old thing...
Until I get my kite, I think this sling is best compact setup out there. Dual Sit dragzz still beat it for overall comfort, though (for me)

Attachments

• 20181107_175026.jpg
    20181107_175026.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 261

How did you make the middle portion of the bridge? Is the bottom section of the bridge that connects to the sd slightly shorter to cup your thighs more? Thanks.

How did you make the middle portion of the bridge? Is the bottom section of the bridge that connects to the sd slightly shorter to cup your thighs more? Thanks.

The middle portion is tubular webbing slipped over the amsteel mainly to capture the two bridges forming one. An added bonus was the increased resistance when sliding through the carabiner (more control when shifting weight). To keep the webbing from moving, I added a stitch along the whole length of the webbing in between the two bridges. (check out the photos below)
The length of the bottom bridge is about a half inch longer than the upper. For me, when the bottom bridge was the same/shorter as the upper, there was too much pressure under my thighs. I played with the lengths using a couple of pull straps until I found my magic length. The bridges ended up being 34" for the upper and 34.5" for the lower. Here are some photos of my current "finished" sit dragz. (sorry for the crap photos...my phone is on its way out!)

Attachments

• 20190101_091016[1].jpg
    20190101_091016[1].jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 164
  • 20190101_091149[1].jpg
    20190101_091149[1].jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 157
  • 20190101_091045[1].jpg
    20190101_091045[1].jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 154
The middle portion is tubular webbing slipped over the amsteel mainly to capture the two bridges forming one. An added bonus was the increased resistance when sliding through the carabiner (more control when shifting weight). To keep the webbing from moving, I added a stitch along the whole length of the webbing in between the two bridges. (check out the photos below)
The length of the bottom bridge is about a half inch longer than the upper. For me, when the bottom bridge was the same/shorter as the upper, there was too much pressure under my thighs. I played with the lengths using a couple of pull straps until I found my magic length. The bridges ended up being 34" for the upper and 34.5" for the lower. Here are some photos of my current "finished" sit dragz. (sorry for the crap photos...my phone is on its way out!)
I like your design on this. Is 7/64ths amsteel sufficient in this application?

I copied @George Clark.
Speedy Stitcher all the way.
It already had the rigging belt from when it was by itself.
It has two 1/8” amsteel Whoopi slings till I figure out what length I want to go with.
40158b83d2accec9dad5442a023b583f.jpg
f167f3838655c11ce3c5b5c2ebb6aaa8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back