• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Double Step Regrets?

HunterBob

Over the summer I modified my lone wolf sticks to 24" with a 22" step like some of you have gratefully posted videos of. I am still using the original steps but considering replacing them with double steps. Have any of you regretted adding the double steps? Specifically thinking of weight savings and packability issues on this.

For those who do not regret the double steps, have you preferred the angled double steps or the straight versions?

Thanks in advance for the comments.

Over the summer I modified my lone wolf sticks to 24" with a 22" step like some of you have gratefully posted videos of. I am still using the original steps but considering replacing them with double steps. Have any of you regretted adding the double steps? Specifically thinking of weight savings and packability issues on this.

For those who do not regret the double steps, have you preferred the angled double steps or the straight versions?

Thanks in advance for the comments.
I hunted with my original LW sticks for years & have never looked back after double steps. How many times have you been stuck just a bit too long on one leg setting that next stick, not to mention if you have to freeze b/c a deer is moving through. I don’t miss that! 2 of my deer last year have been shot while mid climb, I was able to quietly raise my bow/muzzloader & end my hunt while still on my LB...... I most likely wouldn’t have been able to do that on one leg, was dicey enough on 2. As for angled or straight I don’t think it matters (personal preference).

I significantly prefer the double step over the standard LW single step. I went with angled lightweight steps and lightweight standoffs. I used my LW sticks for 13 years before switching to double steps... never going back to single steps.

Only regret so far is cost. To replace the steps and standoffs with lightweight option and add an aider, it cost me $101 per stick. Granted, I ordered the best option EWO had but.... at that point I realized I could have just bought a new stick from EWO that weighs less than my DIY MOD for just a little bit more.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I significantly prefer the double step over the standard LW single step. I went with angled lightweight steps and lightweight standoffs. I used my LW sticks for 13 years before switching to double steps... never going back to single steps.

Only regret so far is cost. To replace the steps and standoffs with lightweight option and add an aider, it cost me $101 per stick. Granted, I ordered the best option EWO had but.... at that point I realized I could have just bought a new stick from EWO that weighs less than my DIY MOD for just a little bit more.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Ya, the cost is definitely something else that is holding me up as well. May have to wait for some bday money to make a switch.

I've got four, but probably will only be using three for most sits. Figured I'd wait to save up and then just buy 8 steps for all four sticks.

I never used single steps, i figured that the double steps would be more similar to climbing a ladder, a much more familiar motion for me than climbing a tree. So my first sticks were a set of full size hawk heliums. Now i have a modified muddy with ewo standoffs and steps for single sticking.

Being able to have both feet at the same level and stand if need be, always seemed more comfortable to me. I have no regrets and don't even consider a single step a viable option for me tbh.

Early on when I first got into tree stand hunting, I really considered just not hunting in trees at all because of the single step. My first set of sticks was the LW sticks. They are great sticks, I just don’t like the single step. At that point I hadn’t tried anything else. I’m feel like a clumsy climber at best and don’t like heights. So when I discovered the double step version of sticks, there was no going back for me for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With a single step stick, I'm never putting all my weight on one foot. I have one foot on the bottom step and one foot on the top step. Unless you are using multi-step aiders, I don't see a need to ever stand on the top step with two feet. I like to work at chest height or above. I end up standing the exact same way on a double step stick. The only difference to me is I can switch feet on a double step stick. A good goal is not to stand on any stick long enough to get fatigued. This just takes practice.

I've got four, but probably will only be using three for most sits. Figured I'd wait to save up and then just buy 8 steps for all four sticks.
Was gonna say you could always cheap out & just put em on your top step , until you get the rest.

Single steps pack up better unless you have folding double steps like the hawk helium’s. I’ve used both and rather my modified LoneWolfs. It’s not an issuer to stand on one foot for me. I’m never like that very long. If I needed a break, I’d just step down with the other foot and have one foot up and one down, each on a step. Hanging a stand, I can see the benefit of having a double step, but not just to hang another stick or ring of steps. Maybe the platforms take more time to hang and a double step would be handy.
I love the way my short LoneWolf sticks with side stacking mod pack up. That’s my route.

I use 4 full length Lonewolf sticks and I put a double step on 2 of them. I just replaced the single top step with double step and wouldn't change back for anything.

I love the doublesteps on my Beast sticks. So much easier and comfortable when climbing in my opinion. I don't see myself ever going back to single steps.

I wish I would've saved my money and bought beast sticks instead. My double steps didn't fit my lone wolf sticks perfectly, so when I tightened the nuts and bolts, several of my steps bent. I spoke with the company and got a response similar to "haven't heard of that happening before. They should fit perfectly.". Mine didn't, hence I wish I would've just bought beast sticks. Also, since they didn't fit perfectly, there is a small wobble on several of the steps.

I wish I would've saved my money and bought beast sticks instead. My double steps didn't fit my lone wolf sticks perfectly, so when I tightened the nuts and bolts, several of my steps bent. I spoke with the company and got a response similar to "haven't heard of that happening before. They should fit perfectly.". Mine didn't, hence I wish I would've just bought beast sticks. Also, since they didn't fit perfectly, there is a small wobble on several of the steps.
I just put 8 dubblesteps From EWO on my novix mini sticks and they fit perfectly.And a Scout on top works great.

Last edited:
Mine fit prefect on my lonewolf sticks. I got mine from EWO.

I used single steps (lone wolf, full size) for a number of years and they were good. Switched all three steps to double steps (12 total), EWO, ultralights. I like it much better for going up the tree and hanging the next sticks and then the stand, and coming down in the dark to remove everything. It is just easier with both feet firmly planted. Only downsides of going this route are cost (12 double steps was pricey!), rarely having more steps catches on more limbs when hanging a stick, and that the sticks take up a different footprint now when stacked. (I used to stack all 4 sticks together, now I just stack them in two sets of two, one set on each side of the stand.). Trade offs are worth it to me!

Top and bottom double steps on my lone wolf sticks. DanO is a great guy to do business with. I have zero regrets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back