• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DRT guys come in here lets play

JumpingVampire

I'm really considering this technique. What are some tips you can give us for those that will be trying this? How long of rope do you use? What size? What brand? Whats the average height you normally go? Is it pretty easy to hang a tree stand or platform? And pretty much what are the pros and cons?

Last edited:
There’s a guy on YouTube, NYSaddleHunter I believe is his name. He has a couple good drt videos you can check out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i am new to this also so i am wanting to hear the same info

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I feel like I've found a low-cost approach for SRT, using just a webbing loop instead of an ascender. On the ascent, I have my main friction hitch (distel hitch) and beneath that the webbing loop tied on using a klemheist, which serves as my foot loop. Using an ascender may be a little easier, but I doubt it's much.

I liked the thought of DRT, especially after seeing the videos from the guy referenced above, but I don't like the thought of how much friction there'd be with the rope sliding over the tree branch.

For rappelling, I got an ATC Sport, but a figure 8 would suffice too.

I have an adjustable bridge, pretty much replicating the rope option they came out with for the Flex.

I feel like I've found a low-cost approach for SRT, using just a webbing loop instead of an ascender. On the ascent, I have my main friction hitch (distel hitch) and beneath that the webbing loop tied on using a klemheist, which serves as my foot loop. Using an ascender may be a little easier, but I doubt it's much.

I liked the thought of DRT, especially after seeing the videos from the guy referenced above, but I don't like the thought of how much friction there'd be with the rope sliding over the tree branch.

I have an adjustable bridge, pretty much replicating the rope option they came out with for the Flex.
I've thought about trying something similar, but that will probably be something to explore next season. I've seen quite a few YouTube videos doing basically the same thing for rock climbing or self-rescue out of a crevasse when walking across a glacier.

Here is one such video.

I need to do a lot more research before I'd feel comfortable trying though.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Using a belay device with the brake line routed to the hand ascender is MUCH easier than a waist hitch and foot hitch below it. You're using both arms, and a leg to lift your body weight at one time. I usually get 2' + per stroke. If I don't have a bunch of limbs to navigate I can be at 20' in about 30 seconds.

It is much more expensive though! You're looking at 2-300.00 bucks to get set up properly with everything. It's also a great idea to know how to ascend and descend with bare minimums because you never know when you'll have a malfunction.

With that title, I had to make sure @Nutterbuster wasn’t the one who started the thread before I opened it....

................................................................................All climbing methods, platforms, saddle designs, and/or use of materials possibly mentioned in the post above are not peer reviewed for safety, and should only be used as an example of my own method. Do your own research and testing before becoming confident in any DIY solution to support your life.
-IkemanTx

You can use a hand ascender and a friction hitch of your choice. You can even use a ropeman which is something I think every saddle hunter should own. You can buy a hand ascender for the difference in price of the amount of rope needed. About the only advantage I see to drt is getting your rope back out of the tree.

So I am really liking both SRT and DRT but here is the problem I am finding myself having when practicing is that when i choose a tree and throw my throw-line over a limb it never fails that there is going to be several smaller non-load supporting limbs between me and the limb that I chose to throw my throw-line over but that are just big enough to get in the way. So here’s my questions: for SRT how would you girth hitch around the chosen limb with the other limbs below it in the way??? And for DRT how do you get around the lower limbs??

Hopefully this makes sense to someone essentially what is happening is that when I throw my throw line over a limb it is encompassing multiple limbs below it; kinda hard to explain what I’m asking without being in person.

So I am really liking both SRT and DRT but here is the problem I am finding myself having when practicing is that when i choose a tree and throw my throw-line over a limb it never fails that there is going to be several smaller non-load supporting limbs between me and the limb that I chose to throw my throw-line over but that are just big enough to get in the way. So here’s my questions: for SRT how would you girth hitch around the chosen limb with the other limbs below it in the way??? And for DRT how do you get around the lower limbs??

Hopefully this makes sense to someone essentially what is happening is that when I throw my throw line over a limb it is encompassing multiple limbs below it; kinda hard to explain what I’m asking without being in person.

Complicated problems require complicated answers. If you are using srt and have enough rope you can use a basal anchor and then only need one rope free and clear. I have seen guys make a throw over one limb and then throw under that limb but over the rest to single it out. There’s a reason it’s not a great system going in blind in the dark. That’s one of them.

Complicated problems require complicated answers. If you are using srt and have enough rope you can use a basal anchor and then only need one rope free and clear. I have seen guys make a throw over one limb and then throw under that limb but over the rest to single it out. There’s a reason it’s not a great system going in blind in the dark. That’s one of them.
Thank you, the basal anchor after watching videos makes perfect sense. I do agree with you though I think I'm going to use my sticks for going in blind and leave a preset in the tree and then use rope when I come back to it.

If it’s just a couple limbs, I can often pull up the throw weight above the issue limb and get it swinging like a pendulum by pulling on the throw line and then release to get it to drop to the side I want.

It won’t work in every instance. But it does work a lot of the time for me.

Have you ever thought of taking sticks to preset, stick climb, paracord, work through lower branches, then srt any other time. I've not done it yet, but it works great in my head!

I do agree with you though I think I'm going to use my sticks for going in blind and leave a preset in the tree and then use rope when I come back to it.

This is my current plan as well

Back