• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Early season pants/bibs

Horn

SH Member
Looking for your thoughts on early season bottoms. I'm in West Michigan, about halfway up the lower peninsula. Deer starts 10-1 so It's usually pretty warm still. Looking at those ( now back in stock) uninsulated Bibs from Natural Gear.

Are bibs good or bad in warmer weather? Anyone tried those? I'm a pants guy but it was pointed out to me that in cold weather bibs are where it's at too keep your low back warm, not sure if I'd cook early season on not

I'm in the western lower peninsula as well. Been running the Sitka Early Season Whitetail (ESW) or the First Lite Obsidian. The Sitka Equinox pants are nice too and add some temperature range to cover you in cooler temps as well. I love bibs but won't wear them in warmer weather... gotta be in the 30s before I switch to bibs. However, all three pants I mentioned above are compatible with suspenders and in some cases come with suspenders.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

The nice thing about bibs is they stay in place when wearing a saddle whereas pants often slide down if that kinda thing bothers you. Bibs that come high up your chest might be kinda warm but you can plan accordingly and just wear a light top.

I wear those natty bibs in FLA archery... I would think u be fine. Personally I only wear bibs spot and stalk because the side buttons of the bib get trapped between the saddle and my hip area and get really uncomfortable

FL corrugate guide pants are awesome. I wear them year round but they’re my only layer in early deer or late turkey. Southern MN. I’d also highly recommend Sitka traverse pants for a similar use

I'll second the FL Obsidian pants. I can use them from mid September to late October or until the temps get into the low 40's just by varying base layers. After that I switch to FL Solitude bibs and then Fanatic bibs for extreme cold temps.

Kuiu Tiburon, they are the best for warm weather…
My two brothers and I have a landscaping and arborist business and that is all we wear during the summer for work. If I’m not in FL asat pants in the beginning of September hunting deer I’ll be in a pair of Tiburons.

I wear pants early season when it’s typically in the high 80’s. When it finally cools down I switch to some cheap uninsulated bibs I got on amazon that I can layer under as it gets colder. Bibs are nice in the saddle because they prevent upper layers from riding up and causing a draft.

Thanks for the suggestions/input. Seems like pants and suspenders would be a good mix but I'm leaning towards bibs to keep my back covered, I do fight with my jacket staying put some days

I'll have to check my storage totes, but I think I have a pair of cotton camo cargo bibs I bought at Sportsman's Guide a few years back. Not technical-fabric cool-kid gear but it would probably fit the bill just fine for early season.

I seem to recall a motorcycle gear manufacturer (Joe Rocket, maybe?) had pants with a horizontal zipper on the back of the waistband that could be zipped into a corresponding zipper on a jacket, or to a triangle with suspenders, making it essentially a convertible suspenders / 1-piece suit. If I get bored (not likely with a toddler, but still...) I might try to do something similar with hunting pants.

These 2 paired together would essentially convert any pants into bibs. You'd still have the belt, though, but it would prevent drafts on chilly sits. Looks like it would be a pretty straightforward DIY project.

I'm in Northwest PA, our weather here can be VERY unpredictable because of the lake. I've used nothing but bibs for 15+ years. You will be fine with uninsulated bibs. As was already noted, if you think you will be too warm, just wear a lighter shirt. I also tend to wear jean bibs and Carharts for a multitude of things. Here is a piece of advice. If wearing a saddle, try to stay away from bibs with buttons on the side.

If you are hunting 70*-90* weather you do not want to wear bibs. That’s usually the temperature for MD and I would be miserable in a pair of bibs.
If you are hunting cool weather there is some good options as stated above… but you need to keep in mind you are carrying your saddle gear, sticks, platform,bow and accessories to your hunting location and it doesn’t take much to get heated up pretty quick, especially with bibs.

I'm in the western lower peninsula as well. Been running the Sitka Early Season Whitetail (ESW) or the First Lite Obsidian. The Sitka Equinox pants are nice too and add some temperature range to cover you in cooler temps as well. I love bibs but won't wear them in warmer weather... gotta be in the 30s before I switch to bibs. However, all three pants I mentioned above are compatible with suspenders and in some cases come with suspenders.

I also wear the ESW system in the same area you hunt. I prefer bibs if I can but for early season and even summer scouting I have really liked the ESWgear from Sitka

now, i only wear pants in temperatures over 55 F

i have the natty gear and similar redhead overalls.....i don't call them bibs due to lack of features

it is very hard/impossible to find lightweight bibs that do not contain at least some cotton (many are 100 percent cotton) and have boot zips and a 2 way front zipper.....instead they are just a camo version of farmer bibs but with cargo pockets

the natty gear seem slightly nicer than the redhead ones

they really shine in mid temperatures.....i can wear them in with a thin thermal underlayer (or not) and then put on my down full zip pants over them, if colder

they fit a layering system much better than most bibs, which will be a sweat box if it is not cold when walking in.....i just wish someone would make a quality bib with zero insulation (instead of just camo farmer overalls)

bibs are much more comfortable for me with a pack and saddle due to no belt and no exposed skin

Last edited:
For those of you that have them, Do the nattys or ESW have any buttons/hardware that are problematic? Thanks for the advice everyone

I've had no issues whatsoever with the ESW pants.

I haven’t tried the ESW but the Ascent is a good warm weather pant. Match that with a tall light weight tucked in. Does great to keep bugs out and the shirt from riding up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For those of you that have them, Do the nattys or ESW have any buttons/hardware that are problematic? Thanks for the advice everyone

i haven't noticed any buttons digging into me....the suspender connection is cheapo sliding metal farmer bibs type and can be loud or uncomfortable if trapped under a backpack strap

like i said, these things are just okay and not great.....i can't believe with everything made now that it isn't routine to find fully tricked out hunting bibs that are not insulated

Back