• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Easiest climbing methods for old guys

Wayne K

I am 57 and not as young as I use to be. In everyone's opinion what is the easiest way to climb.
Stepps Sticks Lone Wolf Hand Climber ....? Tried Cain's method a little tougher than I thought
Sticks hauling a ton of stuff in woods... Just your thoughts

I think sticks are the easiest to climb and your best system to use but the carry in/out isn’t fun.
Wild edge steps without aiders is an easy climb but getting the cam over correct every time is a pain
Steps for climbing isn’t bad I just hate dealing with all that rope or straps.
Believe it or not one stick method with muddy pro stick if you have good upper body strength and go slow isn’t bad. But if you rush it you will be drenched in sweat.
If legal in your area imo you can’t beat bolts.
Hand climber works for some but I’m not hunting for a perfect tree to climb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm 57 too. I use either a modified Cain method or a single stick method to climb. Both are extremely easy in my opinion. The beauty of both of these methods is that because you are tethered in while climbing you can relax and hang at any point in the climb and catch your breath/cool off until you feel like continuing.
I case you haven't run across it here's a link to the modified Cain method for "OFG's" (old fat guys).

I guess I should chime in too. I`m sixty five this year and have been using sticks (muddy Pro`s) for years now . Had multiple joints replaced and I have no trouble getting up to hunting height even when using aiders on each step. I``m definitely not setting any speed records but I feel safe.

I'm 60 and use 4 lonewolf sticks, Wildedge steps with 5 foot aider with knaider and helium sticks with an aider on the sticks. I use and e-bike to carry my gear.

53 years young and use the we steps with swaider and knaider. I figure as I get older and weaker I will use the same system, but reduce my spacing a bit. Four get me over twenty feet right now. Maybe I will have to add a step when I hit 65 :)

I am extremely comfortable with my aiders. Just today I was setting up a tree and had to cut some branches. They were always at some weird height so I had to stand on my knaider when sawing the branches. Perfectly stable, and I only used my lineman belt for support.

I really like we steps because they are so rock solid. Those things just can't fall off or kick out on you. Once they are in place it is like having handles bolted to the tree. Never felt safer while climbing a tree; ever. Pete

Last edited:
I am 54 and have had lower back fusion. As a result I have neuropathy and my left leg is almost “dead” from the calf down and my ankle is very weak. I’ve tried the modified Cain and the knaider/swaider and have a lot of difficulty burying my footing the tree or walking on the trunk. I plan on trying more and trying to tweak the setup, but so far the most comfortable is the LW hand climber

Sticks, get good ones on you’re at 6-7lbs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What about SRT? I have been practicing with it and it seems really effortless.

I also use the WE steps and find them easy to use with the knaider and swaider but I think sticks would be easier as you age.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Only 44, but bad knees and shoulders. I have been using the Primal V Steps the last two seasons with no troubles. I am off and on with the knaider, right now I'm getting 18' without it, using 8 steps. I could probably get 24'+ with it.

I like bolts. But this season I’m going to buy some focus on the ground game. I got a Waldrops Pac seat (3 pounds I think) super comfortable. No limits to where you can hunt. It was great the other night when it was 90 degrees outside and I didn’t have to climb. We’ll see how it goes this season.

I'm 60 and use SRT everywhere it's possible, but I think sticks are the easiest method of climbing. Build some short lite weight 22-24 inch sticks learn to use a carry as you go(CAYG) aider, my 4 mini sticks are less than 3 lbs and with an aider I can get 30 feet easy!

Last edited:
Back