• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Eastern woods outdoors bent stand off

HunterDan

I'm 5'9" 200lbs

I put together the ewo up stick over the weekend. Today after work I decided to test out the feel of the platform

I put it on my test tree in the yard (not exactly sure what kind of tree it is but its very similar to a black walnut tree) set the stick correctly by pulling out and down on the bottom of the stick (this isn't my first rodeo)
Admittedly I did stomp on the stick a little to see how well it would set. But nothing ridiculous

When I got down and inspected the stick I noticed I had bent the stand off. I put it in the vice and straightened it back out but found it alarming how easy it bent back

I questioned whether or not to buy the ultra light stand off when ordering but figured I hadn't heard of anyone on here complaining of bent ewo stand offs so it must not be a problem Screenshot_20220228-185146_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20220228-185204_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20220228-185214_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20220228-185222_Gallery.jpg

Have you reached out to their customer service team about it? They have very good and fast customer service response! I have not ever heard of anyone having issues with their stand offs at all but I am positive @DanO would like to know this happened.

When you get your new one, file the bottom of the teeth at a bit of an angle like the Beast Stick standoffs. That flat bottom surface wasn't able to slide down tree and probably took all of your weight on that one standoff as it locked into the bark....then when stomping on it, it was exacerbated.

I'm wondering if that's a patented feature...because I'd like to see more stick manufacturers bevel to bottom edge of the teeth on their standoffs.

@enkriss I think posted about a bent EWO ultralight standoff. Don't know if/how it was resolved. He's got the inside scoop on all bent standoffs.

I have never bent an EWO standoff. Bent bolts though….

Not gonna lie looks like you set that stick excessively judging by the scrapes on the tree.
I test all my sticks, stands , platforms and practice climb new set ups on this tree so there are some marks on the tree that make it look like theres more going on there then there actually is.
The close up of the stand off is a close up. so the stick drag marks look More dramatic

BUT ABSOLUTELY I bounced my weight and was testing how solid the stick would bite to the tree
the bark on this tree is fairly aggressive and pretty tough

62fe74c7276fc5acd87d5440c8ec0c71.jpg

I had the steps bend on me but not the standoffs, I contacted EWO and they were awesome got me some new ones sent right out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just so everyone one knows Dano sent me a message right away and is resolving it .great customer service!!...
he also mention the ultra light stand offs will no longer be offered with the one stick Kits or something along those lines because of the added abuse on platform sticks

I have never bent an EWO standoff. Bent bolts though….

Sorry, thought it was you. It was @Buckhorn70 and @arm breaker.

I assume these bends were all on non-rotating standoffs.

Back