• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Easton arrows

M. Wilson

Need some help fellas. I’ve shot Gold Tip arrows for as long as I can remember. However I’ve stumbled into a solid deal on Eastons and am thinking about purchasing some to use this season. I’ll admit I don’t know much about spine, length, weight, or anything really. I can just shoot and hit a target. I’ve bought the new VXR and it’s obviously a lot faster and stronger than the switchback. Any input on what spine, which arrow, targeted weight would be helpful. Thanks

Easton has a spine chart I would recommend looking at. To give you a proper spine we would need you draw length and weight. One thing with compound bows your arrows really can't be too stiff. Plus if they're stiffer than you need you don't have to worry about spine if you add more point weight. I've found the sweet spot for me is 500-550 grains but that could be different for each set up and what you want your arrows to do.

340 or 300 spine. depending on how heavy your tip is. over 150 grains i would use a 300. if you go really heavy go 260. i like the axis arrows. not the fmj's though. they bend and blow up and are a little heavier than what i like. you can go deep down the FOC rabbit hole. dont get too stuck. lancaster archery is nice because you can buy 1 or 2 of each and see if you like them before you spend a boat load and figure out you need to drop to a stiffer or softer spine.

Congrats on a new set-up! I purchased my bow with gold tips and it was the only arrow I knew. I ended up going into my local archery shop and told them nothing is wrong with my current arrows but I just want to try something better. Wow, amazing difference. I settled on the Beeman ICS hunters. I absolutely love them and my groupings were noticeably better. I wont even shoot more than 2 arrows at the same bullseye at 20 yards because of how many arrows I damage.

My advice would be to go to a reputable shop and tell them all your specs. Bring your bow with you and tell them what type of game you plan to shoot. I was set on the full metal jacket arrows (great arrow and very popular) but after telling them how I plan to use my bow they matched me with what I feel the perfect arrow. They even switched up the style of fletching that I was used to. I couldn't be happier.

I was going to buy and build my own arrows but once I got started on the research and learned what goes into an arrow build I decided it was way too time consuming for me. I love to tinker but I just wasnt set up for building arrows. Not to mention, the amount of information was overwhelming for me. I reverted to keeping it simple and it worked in my favor. Good luck!

Regardless of what route you go, I highly recommend buying top shelf arrows to get maximum performance out of your new bow.

that would be key info right? Sorry. 70lbs at 28”
That's the exact same specs that I have. I have been shooting 340 spine with standard HIT insert and 125gr Ramcats and they weigh around 415gr. My next batch of arrows will be 300 spine with the newer Easton stainless halfouts looking to hit that 500gr area. I bought some gamegetters to play around with and found that my bow is noticeably quieter and performs better with those at the 525gr range.

What are gamegetters? I was shooting a very similar setup as you last season but used the halfouts. I shoot 62# though.

That's the exact same specs that I have. I have been shooting 340 spine with standard HIT insert and 125gr Ramcats and they weigh around 415gr. My next batch of arrows will be 300 spine with the newer Easton stainless halfouts looking to hit that 500gr area. I bought some gamegetters to play around with and found that my bow is noticeably quieter and performs better with those at the 525gr range.

I shoot 525grn using the brass inserts. What’s all this halfout talk about!? This is phenomenal news I have to research!

my plunger always pulls them back out even if the nock is off the back. Brass inserts are about the same cost. I think i have titanium half outs right now but not sure. Also have half a dozen arrows with the ethics spinning inserts in them. Not sure how good they really work. Those are pretty snazzy though if your wallet is gettin too heavy. Kinda like spinning rims haha. Flick ya broadhead n watch it goooo

What are gamegetters? I was shooting a very similar setup as you last season but used the halfouts. I shoot 62# though.
They're the old style aluminum arrows they've been making practically since the invention of the compound bow. My dad still had a few laying around that I had played with but they weren't the right spine. I was honestly surprised they still made them, I got a dozen from Lancaster for $3.50 a piece. I'm currently using them for indoor since the 300 spine are size 23 so they're just legal.
I'm glad to hear the halfouts work well since they were just released less than a year ago.

Back