• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Educate the ignorant, please!

Just_Hangin_N_GA

SH Member
I am a compound guy... However, with a little nudge and friendly pressure from my traditional hunting buddies, I now own a Sage with 25lb limbs. I am thoroughly enjoying the constant humiliation of sucking at this new endeavor but that once in a blue moon kill shot has me hooked.
Long story short... yeah to late for that...
I am going to be ordering a Big Jim recurve bow very soon.
What are the advantages of a one piece versus a take down bow, besides changing weights on the limbs.
Is one lighter, more forgiving... ect.
If you could only choose one life time bow what would it be and why?
If you have a Big Jim, please share pictures and what made you choose that one with all the options out there.
Thanks!!

One piece:
On average lighter, but that's not away a good thing. Some mass do help stabilized the bow and increase accuracy.
Quieter due to less moving parts, especially over a ILF setup

Takedown:
For travel, no contest a take down is better.
Poundage and length change options, even recurve or longbow option with same riser

My lifetime bow:
A Tiberian Tiger Shrew with the 2 pieces takedown option. 52AMO at 40lbs.
I'm a big fan of Mr. Ron LaClair and this was his favorite bow. That's enough for me.
A long bow because I can string and unstring it 'safer' without a stringer

First off, I would encourage you to shoot as may different trad bows as you can before you order a custom bow. That is not to say that a Big Jim might not end up being THE bow for you anyway, just there are a ton of options that are all really good bows but there will be one or two that will just work better for you than others.

My current bow is my until it or me breaks bow. Stalker coyote w/ACS longbow limbs. Stalker and Black Widow both build great bows and both have test drive programs, not sure about others. I dont recall ever seeing a bad review of a Big Jim bow. Toelke is another that would for sure merit consideration.

Just realized, I left out an important piece of information.
I just won a voucher for a customer built Big Jim bow, while attending a traditional bow banquet!
I never win anything and was blown away when I won, so excited!!!! I feel like a crack dealer just gave me a free sample... now there is no turning back.
FYI.... yes, I joined the Traditional Bow Club.

One piece bows are aesthetically superior (generally) to me. I’ve shot both well, I just like the one pieces more. What are you learning towards? @Just_Hangin_N_GA

One piece bows are aesthetically superior (generally) to me. I’ve shot both well, I just like the one pieces more. What are you learning towards? @Just_Hangin_N_GA
I know pretty doesn't kill but the looks of the one piece is what attracted me to traditional. Like you eluded too, they are very aesthetically pleasing to look at.... NOT saying that take downs aren't appealing but in my short exposure to each, the one piece has me drooling.

You mean to tell me there aren't any traditional guys on here with any input or personal preferences... or pictures of their bows. What about limb materials, grip design, brace height, center alignment and all the other stuff I have know idea about. Like is it better to shoot off the shelf or a springy thing.
My bad, I didn't really ask for all that in my post.
Thanks guys!!

I shoot the old Wing recurve bows from the 70's and prefer an 8" brace height or more, a slimmer grip, past center, off the shelf but I shoot strictly for hunting. I used to go to 3D shoots and did well against target and compound shooters in late 70's and early 80's but I am not a bow technician. Strictly a hunter and love the old recurves so I can't help much.

I don’t like the look of big Jim’s three piece bows one bit.

I’d probably go with the Buffalo which is a reflex deflex. It looks like a great combo of what makes a recurve and longbow sweet. Pick your favorite looking woods, tips, handle, etc. and call it a day. You have a year wait time anyway from the time you order Lol

Check out Lost Nation Archery https://www.lostnationarchery.com they have a lot of great trad only gear and they are super duper nice people. A mom and pop shop dedicated to trad. I got some Broadheads from them a few years ago and he called me up because he didn’t have all in stock and spoke to me about it. Then his wife called me when they got the remainder in. He’s got used bows too in addition to new bows for purchase. I’m sure if you explained your questions or concerns he would talk to you at length about them. As for my trad journey, I have an OG Bear Kodiak Green Machine 42@ 28, a Samick Discovery ILF with 35lb limbs and a Hoyt Satori 21” riser with MAXX 2.0 35lb limbs. Would love a Don Assenheimer custom with a Butternut riser and walnut laminations and antler limb bolts. Sadly, Don Assenheimer has passed on and I’m not sure what has happened to his bowyer business. I know I haven’t answered your question directly about Big Jim bows but just letting you know there are a lot of people out there that would you.

e2af552da377af7cce246c5fb38b8a55.jpg

Stick and string and turkey wings. Zebrawood and walnut riser. Zebrawood veneers over bamboo core limbs. Doug fir arrows. TS1 string with cat whiskers. Shot off the shelf like all self respecting bowhunters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d probably go with the Buffalo which is a reflex deflex. It looks like a great combo of what makes a recurve and longbow sweet. Pick your favorite looking woods, tips, handle, etc. and call it a day. You have a year wait time anyway from the time you order Lol

That's long wait time is very true. Congrats on winning a bow! Maybe purchase a starter bow about 35lbs to get the hang of it while you wait for the custom bow?

This is all opinion from a fellow newbie by the way.

Honestly, I think you know what you want. Your heart say one piece but your brain is telling you a takedown is more 'logical'. I say go with a one piece because the benefit of a takedown are not deal breakers. The only real benefit of having a takedown is pack ability. I was having this debate myself when I was ordering a custom bow. "What if I want to travel west for elk? What if I want to change weight?" etc etc etc. We ask ourselves what bow to get if its 'the only one', this require a mixture of 'logic' when its a question of the heart. You're not stuck with one bow for the rest of your life right? Honestly if you did not like it, its ok to sell it. Or just save money to buy another bow that is different that meet your need. I know a lot of people that got a bow they didn't like because they couldnt shoot it well so it hibernate in the closet for a long time, but years later when they are better archer, they take the same bow out and it shoot amazingly.

There are bows that are harder to use for beginners and there are bows that are harder to tune because its not forgiving to bad forms. On average, a recurve is faster, some of the newer hybrid are getting there in speed, but usually a recurve is faster in the same lbs. I prefer longbow because I like the ability to string and unstring it without much hassle, but honestly once you tune a bow, you can leave it strung forever. But an important aspect of a bow that people don't talk about often is that lighter bow are less forgiving. Think stabilizers on Olympic recurves, they works. So that's one of the not so often talked about aspect of takedown bows, that extra weight help them be more forgiving also.

If you're looking for someone to show off their toys, why didn't you say so?? These are the only two bows I'm going to be hunting with this upcoming season. Alternating between them.

This is my one and only custom bow. A Maddog Pairie Predator. 54AMO 45lbs mild reflex/deflex. Core wood is Red Elm and I have Zebrawood veneer on top. Riser is bocote and walnut with a small cocobolo stripe dividing them. Mike the bowyer recently retired, but unlike a lot of other bowyers he is allergic to bamboo so most of his bow has Red Elm as core.
1690889530406.png
1690889550589.png
1690889582302.png
1690889623398.png

This is a Mybo Pathfinder ILF riser with custom Wolfpaw hybrid longbow limbs. Bamboo core with Pomelle Sapele veneer. 54AMO 43lbs. But I'm switching the limbs and riser around at the moment so stay turn for updates. This combo while looking very nice, didn't produce a very efficient bow.
1690890012642.png
1690890042442.png
1690890107120.png

Actually, I get moved to the top of the list. Big Jim has built in extra spots for the bows he gives to Traditional organization fund raisers.
I really hit the jackpot!!!

That's long wait time is very true. Congrats on winning a bow! Maybe purchase a starter bow about 35lbs to get the hang of it while you wait for the custom bow?

This is all opinion from a fellow newbie by the way.

Honestly, I think you know what you want. Your heart say one piece but your brain is telling you a takedown is more 'logical'. I say go with a one piece because the benefit of a takedown are not deal breakers. The only real benefit of having a takedown is pack ability. I was having this debate myself when I was ordering a custom bow. "What if I want to travel west for elk? What if I want to change weight?" etc etc etc. We ask ourselves what bow to get if its 'the only one', this require a mixture of 'logic' when its a question of the heart. You're not stuck with one bow for the rest of your life right? Honestly if you did not like it, its ok to sell it. Or just save money to buy another bow that is different that meet your need. I know a lot of people that got a bow they didn't like because they couldnt shoot it well so it hibernate in the closet for a long time, but years later when they are better archer, they take the same bow out and it shoot amazingly.

There are bows that are harder to use for beginners and there are bows that are harder to tune because its not forgiving to bad forms. On average, a recurve is faster, some of the newer hybrid are getting there in speed, but usually a recurve is faster in the same lbs. I prefer longbow because I like the ability to string and unstring it without much hassle, but honestly once you tune a bow, you can leave it strung forever. But an important aspect of a bow that people don't talk about often is that lighter bow are less forgiving. Think stabilizers on Olympic recurves, they works. So that's one of the not so often talked about aspect of takedown bows, that extra weight help them be more forgiving also.

If you're looking for someone to show off their toys, why didn't you say so?? These are the only two bows I'm going to be hunting with this upcoming season. Alternating between them.

This is my one and only custom bow. A Maddog Pairie Predator. 54AMO 45lbs mild reflex/deflex. Core wood is Red Elm and I have Zebrawood veneer on top. Riser is bocote and walnut with a small cocobolo stripe dividing them. Mike the bowyer recently retired, but unlike a lot of other bowyers he is allergic to bamboo so most of his bow has Red Elm as core.
View attachment 88073
View attachment 88074
View attachment 88075
View attachment 88076

This is a Mybo Pathfinder ILF riser with custom Wolfpaw hybrid longbow limbs. Bamboo core with Pomelle Sapele veneer. 54AMO 43lbs. But I'm switching the limbs and riser around at the moment so stay turn for updates. This combo while looking very nice, didn't produce a very efficient bow.
View attachment 88079
View attachment 88080
View attachment 88081
Great information, I am actually going by his shop today and hopefully able to shoot a few different bows and different weights. I am sure he won't make me rush into any decision. Beautiful bows you have there!!!!

Actually, I get moved to the top of the list. Big Jim has built in extra spots for the bows he gives to Traditional organization fund raisers.
I really hit the jackpot!!!
The buffalo looks nice but I really like the lines of the mountain monarch recurve. Anyway you could get over there and shoot them to decide which you want?

The buffalo looks nice but I really like the lines of the mountain monarch recurve. Anyway you could get over there and shoot them to decide which you want?
I didn’t see that one last night when I was looking. If his heart is set on recurve that sure is a nice looking one. It really does look like an old school 50/60s bow.

I personally prefer the one piece over take down but currently own both. I have my two dream bows already and they are a 58” Toelke Chinook 50lbs at 26” and a Flatline Cardiac Arrest 66” 43lbs at 28”.
To me the one piece is just pleasing to look at the lines are just stare inducing. I prefer recurves for they way they look but shoot both long bow and recurve. I generally think recurves are more demanding on form and release to get consistent with but I really enjoy the curves unfurling as the bow is drawn.

Great information, I am actually going by his shop today and hopefully able to shoot a few different bows and different weights. I am sure he won't make me rush into any decision. Beautiful bows you have there!!!!
This is probably the best option, its certainly the route I would like to take. If you aren't certain yet after shooting what he has available I would ask about coming back out in 6 months or so to shoot some different ones and to also give yourself some more time to shoot your current bow and get a better feel for what you like and don't like.

This is probably the best option, its certainly the route I would like to take. If you aren't certain yet after shooting what he has available I would ask about coming back out in 6 months or so to shoot some different ones and to also give yourself some more time to shoot your current bow and get a better feel for what you like and don't like.
Try bows that are lower poundage if you can. Its going to be hard for you to get a true feel of what you preferred to draw if you are pulling too hard.

Again, this is not 100%. But usually a longbow has a gradual increase while a recurve has stages that you feel the bow is lighter or harder during the pull. Safely test the bow with your eye closes if possible, just focus on the draw, which in a very important part of liking the style of bow or not.

I went to Big Jim's shop in Albany Georgia on Tuesday and spent 4 hours there. The staff and Big Jim were awesome. They stopped what they were doing to devote all their attention on this newbie to the Traditional world. Big Jim personally stayed with me as I shot different bows and then gave me a tour of the actual bow building shop and and explained the process. Wow, never had I had that much attention devoted to me at any place of business. Big Jim and the staff just got back from a big event in Pennsylvania and pretty much sold all his bows so there weren't my different weights to try. At the end of the day I was Overwhelmed and indecisive!!! However, I did choose a bow which was not what I had planned on getting.
I decided on the Buffalo 3 piece reflex/Deflex long bow at 62" 45lb@28", spalted maple limbs and black riser with ram horn on the tips and riser.
Drove 3 hours home so excited about what just happened... then couldn't sleep all night just because something wasn't right. The bow I just picked out was not the bow style that attracted me to traditional bows. A simple one piece long bow was what caught my eye months back, she was so beautiful and I can't get her out of my mind.
Anyway, I called Big Jim's as soon as they opened the next morning and told them my dilemma, she just laughed and said no problem we can change it to what ever you want. What a relief.... until she reminded me that their Buffalo long bow also comes in a 2 piece for traveling and with a grip on the bow you can't tell the difference in looks.
So now I am debating on one or two piece. My heart says one piece but the part that wants to travel out west one day says two piece.
Anyone have any experience with one verses 2 piece; shooting different, noise, accuracy or aesthetically?

Back