• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Electric Heated Vest and Hand Warmers -- True difference-makers

TNbowhunter

I'm cold-natured and have Reynaud's, which is a condition that makes my hand and feet ice cold super easily (like when I'm not wearing house shoes in my 70* house). So, suffice it to say, it's really important for me to find ways to stay warm during cold hunts. I've tried a bunch of options (chemical hand warmers, microwavable butt pads, hot coffee in my thermos, etc.), and I just wanted to quickly share my two biggest difference-makers in case others are struggling with cutting hunts short due to cold: My electric hand warmers (this BoneView one and this OCOOPA one), and my electric heated vest (this Ororo one). The vest really makes a huge difference with keeping my core warm, and it lets me drop at least one bulky layer of clothing with no drop-off in warmth. The hand-warmers stay on low in my jacket pockets and let me wear lightweight gloves instead of mittens or the like.
These two items have really streamlined my cold weather gear list, so I figured I'd pass along these recommendations to you fine folks.
And for the record, I'm not sponsored, nor are those affiliate links, so I stand to gain nothing but your gratitude if you purchase those items.

I use a Pnuma heated vest when it gets really cold . If its super cold I use my Heater Body suite . I'm fortunate my hands and feet don't get cold. My daughter suffers with Reynaud's so I know what you're dealing with.

Im in the same boat as you strugggling with cold hands and feet. What do you do for your feet?

I picked up a set of these heated socks off a member here, had them on lowest setting paired with my 800gm boots during a 35 degree sit and had to turn them off my feet were so warm.
SNOW DEER 2021 Upgraded Rechargeable Electric Heated Socks,7.4V 2200mAh Battery Powered Cold Weather Heat Socks for Men Women,Outdoor Riding Camping Hiking Motorcycle Skiing Warm Winter Socks https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T3WTVH...abc_P5M15WD6ZFKS54KES4H2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Today, I just froze my feet. Haha I’m looking into buying a pair of Ororo’s new heated socks. They cost a pretty penny, but if they’re half as good as the vest, they’ll be worth it.

Im interested in the heated socks. Let us know how they work out for you.

Artic shield boot covers are the only thing I’ve found to keep my feet warm. Only down side to them is they’re an absolute pia to put on, make sure to size up. Also, wear sock liners, they really do work.

I’ve been using them this season and they’ve worked great. I tried them last year and they didn’t make much of a difference. Last year I was using lightly insulated boots and they were just bulky enough to make them difficult to put on. This season,at the suggestion of many people, I tried them with uninsulated boots. It was quite a noticeable difference. They were much easier it out on and kept my feet warmer than any boot I’ve ever worn while hunting, this includes my Baffin pac boots I wear for ice fishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have the Orono fleece vest and gloves. On long sits in the cold I use them normally the last couple hours of my hunt and for me they make a big difference. I run them on high heat.

I recently got a muff from HSS. I throw two chemical warmers in there and my hands are great. I also have vasospasm so anything that works, I’m all for. Nice thing about the muff is that I don’t need to wear gloves (don't like shooting a bow with gloves on). Can also give massive props to the Ororo heated vest…best piece of kit I own.

Anyone using the Ororo products tried charging them with phone bricks? My camp doesn’t have power. Can I use a phone charger, or would I have to use a generator?

Heated Vest is the way to go. I got one as a gift last season. I sat this morning with a base layer, flannel shirt and my vest and was perfectly comfortable. Was 35-37 degrees. As long as I can keep the wind off of my arms, I can cut a lot of layers using the vest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone using the Ororo products tried charging them with phone bricks? My camp doesn’t have power. Can I use a phone charger, or would I have to use a generator?

I have a Venustas Vest and my Wife has the jacket. You can charge the battery with a charging brick.

I sat this morning with a base layer, flannel shirt and my vest and was perfectly comfortable. Was 35-37 degrees.
Incredible!

I noticed that it’s a puffer vest. Is it not pretty noisy to hunt in? And not great when wet?

I've heard one trick with feet is to pull wool socks over the toe of your boots and throw hand warmers in there. Packs small and you probably have an old pair of wool socks laying around.

My stepdad has a little elastic pocket that will hold a super warmer hot hand. It’s lined with that silver insulation material. He absolutely swears by them. It was produced by a mom and pop business that is long gone. I had thought about commissioning one of they pros on here to do a custom one. But now I am thinking these heated socks might be the ticket. I’ve tried similar to the wool sock, poor results. Rock hard after a few hours. I usually stick one in the arctic shield, again poor results and bulky.

Another thing to consider for those that hunt in rubber boots like a LaCrosse Burley or Dry Shod and especially packs for later in the season..... take out the junk insoles that come with the boot and upgrade to wool felt insoles. I picked some up at Tractor Supply last year, cut them to size and drop them in. They easily increase the warmth and layer of insulation between the cold ground or platform and in my opinion take your 800 gr up to a 1200 gm boot by just doing this. Keeps you in your less bulky boots awhile longer thoughout the season and you're not sacrificing any performance. I'm blessed that I have good circulation but my hands to get cold from water trapping for decades. USGI wool liners, hand muff and hot hands in side or HBS.

Incredible!

I noticed that it’s a puffer vest. Is it not pretty noisy to hunt in? And not great when wet?

The one I have is a fleece.
I believe it’s this one.

The frog co hand warmer off Amazon is amazing. That little thing get super hot. I throw one in a hand muff and usually warmer than I need. They will also charge your phone or vest. I have ThermaCELL heated insoles but haven’t had a real test for them. It’s 80* today so I have that going for me.

Back