• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Emergency Descent?

emrah.oruc.7

Apr 11, 2019
So I’ve read almost every thread here and I still have a few questions regarding an alternate descent method should a stick kick out and fall (pack or bow hits it while pulling up perhaps?

Would it be too simplistic to just carry 2 screw in steps and keep moving them down while hanging from my tether?

Emrah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: cmbetke

Bwhana

SH Member
Dec 8, 2017
Hickory, NC
I always carry some extra tubular webbing or 7mm rope that can be a multi purpose tool (going to have a woven daisy chain strap or 7/64 amsteel daisy this season for this purpose). I can quickly girth hitch around the tree and add a foot loop and ratchet down the tree with it and my tether if need be. I am a weight weenie, so extra screw in steps are a no go due to their weight.

cmbetke

Jun 20, 2019
North Georgia
So I’ve read almost every thread here and I still have a few questions regarding an alternate descent method should a stick kick out and fall (pack or bow hits it while pulling up perhaps?

Would it be too simplistic to just carry 2 screw in steps and keep moving them down while hanging from my tether?

Emrah

Pretty good idea. Two small screw in steps just for the piece of mind. Probably weighs as much as another rope or a few feet of webbing and wouldn't take up much room at all if you use a pack. Hell you could just clip some to a belt loop or something.

emrah.oruc.7

Apr 11, 2019
I’ve been watching about 30 Youtube videos on belaying (ALL OF WHICH SUCK!) and I think my 2 options would be an extra 30’ (or so) length of 8mm rope and an ATC (just learned what that is!) For the weight and bulk of that, wouldn’t I be better off with 2 screw ins?

Emrah

kyler1945

SH Member
Dec 4, 2016
Willis, TX
I’ve been watching about 30 Youtube videos on belaying (ALL OF WHICH SUCK!) and I think my 2 options would be an extra 30’ (or so) length of 8mm rope and an ATC (just learned what that is!) For the weight and bulk of that, wouldn’t I be better off with 2 screw ins?

Emrah

My rope, belay device, and screw link weighs 1.3lbs.

I can probably shave that to less than a pound for emergency use only.

Reactions: Red Beard and bj139

emrah.oruc.7

Apr 11, 2019
And am I correct in thinking you need double the rope length than your hunting height? Like 30’ for 15’ platform height etc?

Emrah

kyler1945

SH Member
Dec 4, 2016
Willis, TX
I’m thinking bulk too?

Emrah

Life’s a bunch of trade offs. But it’s pretty silly how small it packs up. Many uses for it, and requires very little effort or dexterity, in the event of an injury that prevents you from screwing in a step.

kyler1945

SH Member
Dec 4, 2016
Willis, TX
If you want to retrieve your rope from the ground, you need double length, or tie a pull rope to your girth hitch to pull it once you’re on the ground. For emergencies, or going right back up tree after stick retrieval, you don’t need a way to get it down

Reactions: Red Beard and bj139

EricS

Vendor Rep
SH Member
Dec 14, 2016
Georgia
I run 10 foot linesman’s and tether. I could use those two items to climb down a normal size tree. After getting a five step aider I keep it in my pack now and would use it with my linesmans and tether to climb down. Basically I use my linesman’s as a tether for the aider. Yes it would be difficult hugging the tree and trying to move the tether down while standing in the aider. My pull-up rope can be used as an emergency linesman’s belt just to stabilize me while moving my tether down.

Vtbow

Mar 21, 2018
I carry about 25 ft(give or take) of good cordollette and an old sschool spring plate when I'm going way out. I can lower myself off a biner break, or munter hitch if needed as well....

Reactions: Red Beard

emrah.oruc.7

Apr 11, 2019
Is there a GOOD video on how to self belay like we would? Every single video I’ve watched doesn’t show HOW the ATC works on the way down. There’s not a single video where it shows a guy respelling or belaying down by himself. All the videos are either at ground level or with 6 extra ropes going off to another climber or some triangulated mess anchored to a rocks.

At this point I don’t even know HOW an ATC works. Like the Black Diamond ATC or ATC Sport. Does it automatically cinch and lock if you let go or do you have to physically pull one one the ropes in a certain direction to get it to brake?

Emrah

Vtbow

Mar 21, 2018
Is there a GOOD video on how to self belay like we would? Every single video I’ve watched doesn’t show HOW the ATC works on the way down. There’s not a single video where it shows a guy respelling or belaying down by himself. All the videos are either at ground level or with 6 extra ropes going off to another climber or some triangulated mess anchored to a rocks.

At this point I don’t even know HOW an ATC works. Like the Black Diamond ATC or ATC Sport. Does it automatically cinch and lock if you let go or do you have to physically pull one one the ropes in a certain direction to get it to brake?

Emrah

That's because it's something that can EASILY KILL YOU. You should learn the correct setups and applications from a qualified individual, in person, hands on. Period.

EricS

Vendor Rep
SH Member
Dec 14, 2016
Georgia
I’ve got a mammut smart belay that pretty much stops on its own but an autoblock is a good idea on any rappelled device. Especially if you want to stop to retrieve sticks and platforms on the way down.

Reactions: weekender21

Wyatt_burp

Jul 1, 2019
It may not be applicable, but with 1 carabiner, a length of rope, prussic, and a Blake's hitch, you can do a DRT style descent. I was in the tree with full gear last night, heard I was late for dinner and it took 2 minutes to pack up bow, platform, and stuff and 15 seconds to safely descend 15 ft.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: dblomberg4

emrah.oruc.7

Apr 11, 2019
That's because it's something that can EASILY KILL YOU. You should learn the correct setups and applications from a qualified individual, in person, hands on. Period.

Agree. That’s why I’m asking. I’m trying to understand the actual mechanics of what is going on. Would you suggest a trip to REI and consult with someone?

Emrah

Vtbow

Mar 21, 2018
Agree. That’s why I’m asking. I’m trying to understand the actual mechanics of what is going on. Would you suggest a trip to REI and consult with someone?

Emrah

if your REI does clinics, yes. They'll give you lots of options and ideas and have the gear to show you on hand. Otherwise, call a local climbing gym and see if they can do an indoor lesson. That way it is a controlled environment. Rapelling 100% free fall is different than rapelling of a wall less than 90 degrees, and differend than raping out of a tree...they'll teach you a setup that can be hands free so if you slip you do inadvertantly reach for the tree and let go of your brake hand.....

Reactions: dblomberg4

emrah.oruc.7

Apr 11, 2019
if your REI does clinics, yes. They'll give you lots of options and ideas and have the gear to show you on hand. Otherwise, call a local climbing gym and see if they can do an indoor lesson. That way it is a controlled environment. Rapelling 100% free fall is different than rapelling of a wall less than 90 degrees, and differend than raping out of a tree...they'll teach you a setup that can be hands free so if you slip you do inadvertantly reach for the tree and let go of your brake hand.....

Awesome. Thanks. I’ve read pretty much all your responses to various threads like this and I’m guessing you know what you’re talking about lol.

Emrah

Reactions: Vtbow

Vtbow

Mar 21, 2018
Awesome. Thanks. I’ve read pretty much all your responses to various threads like this and I’m guessing you know what you’re talking about lol.

Emrah

You're welcome. Good luck, be safe!

boyne bowhunter

Staff member
SH Member
Aug 17, 2016
NW Michigan
I rappel after every hunt so I've always got 30-40ft of rope with me. I generally rappel on my Madrock Safeguard but I carry a backup ATC and a prusik loop for a tender along with a spare biner in an "emergency pouch" just in case I drop the Safeguard attaching it to the rope.

The rope passes through the ATC from the top forming a loop adjacent to the loop on the ATC. A biner is attached through both loops from underneath. This biner attaches to your bridge and carries your weight. Then attach the tag end to your harness using a friction knot (prusik, autoblock, etc.) and another biner near your waist. I attach this to my right side linesmans loop on my Mantis. The loop in the rope through the ATC and around the biner creates enough friction to carry most of your weight although not all of it. The friction knot tends the rest of the load. It does carry enough of your weight though to keep the friction hitch from fully binding under your weight though. Descent is controlled by the friction hitch. Pull on the top lightly to descend, let go to stop. It is important that the friction knot can't come in contact with the ATC. Otherwise the ATC will tend the knot and you won't be able to control your descent

I highly recommend you practice this standing at ground level leaning backwards against your tether to get the feel for how it works before trying to descend. Worst that can happen that way if you get something wrong is a short tumble to the ground backward from your feet.

Reactions: Red Beard and Gator