• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

End of the year reflections (Gear & Strategy)

jonkytron

One of my best seasons this year in terms of deer killed and deer seen. Just thought I'd rattle off quickly some of my takeaways:

Gear:

One stick: My first season with a one stick. It was easy. I got as high as I wanted, with practice it was stress free, and I felt safer using a rappel line to get down. There are some trees that it was a pain in the ass to climb, but Ill take that over lugging several sticks in the woods ever again.

Redundancy: I’m afraid of heights, always have been. This year I added second redundant amsteel bridge to my saddle, and used an extra amsteel tether to my second bridge. I felt safer and more confident in the tree.

Dryad Drey: God damn, this might might be my favorite piece of gear ever. All day sits became a breeze and naps before sunrise and mid day were amazing in this thing. It's quiet, comfortable, and it hides my movement. I have the retrofit kit, but I’m going to completely ditch my saddle next year and just use a harness under this thing.

Bullman Ring of steps: Lightweight, gives me full movement around the tree, and combined with the Drey, I lean back, put my two feet on either side of the tree on the steps, and I’m as comfortable as I've ever been. I’m ditching my predator platform.

Matthews v3x: The best bow I've ever used. not sure I’m going to ever buy a new a bow after this one. Quiet as anything, no vibration, smooth draw cycle, just amazing in every way. huge upgrade from my Hoyt Rx-1.

Sirius arrows: Bought 6 Orions, made-to-order to my specs. Not impressed at all. Went back to my black eagle x-impacts mid season. I didnt like how they fly, and the they didnt do a great of a job putting on fletching and outserts. The arrows weren't straight when I spun them. compared to the BE X-i pacts, which I can get pre-cut on lancaster archery and fletch myself, with the FOCOS system adding FOC upfront, BE was less expensive and better quality. I’m sticking with Black Eagle from now on.

Iron-will "wides": Shot a deer with one of these, heavy quartering away, and it tore threw the entire body of that deer, and out its front shoulder, and then fletching deep into the dirt. The blood trail was massive, like someone was spilling a bucket of red paint as they walked. Just an insane broadhead.

Ranch-fairy/High FOC/Heavy Arrow: Went up from a 550 grain arrow to a 650 grain arrow with a 200 grain broadhead and 100 grain outsert. three deer dead with this setup. All the deer died within 50 yards with complete pass thrus, destroying shoulders and rib bones. I shoot a 75 pound bow, and did a trajectory calculation on ArchersAdvantageOnline.com comparing it with a 450 grain arrow. The trajectory at 20-40 yards was barely different (a few inches). I dont know if its overkill or not, but I’m sticking with a heavy arrow from now on.

Strategy:

25ft > 15ft: In situations where I could get high, Mr eberheart really is right about the 25ft high thing. I sware I could move all I wanted with deer under the tree, and if I was quiet, they just never looked up that high. I had does on several days bedding under my tree.

Hunting the thick: outside of the rut, I focused on areas that were THICK this year. I mean, one or two shooting lanes at most. I saw the most bucks I've ever seen in my tree and on my cameras. Having many shooting lanes is overrated. Also, I found that the thicker the cover, the better you can control the wind. Having something so thick behind you a deer couldnt possibly go thru it, facing into the wind of a place where the deer can just barely move thru it, forces the deer to be in only one place, up wind. I think the smart old bucks think this way too, walking the edge of barely able to move, and impossible for anything to move.

Early season: Most seasons I waited for the rut to spend the most time in the stand. This year I went in early and beat the other hunters who were waiting for better weather and the rut. The biggest deer I killed all year was on Oct 3rd, 3 days after season opener. I also saw a lot of deer on camera in public land disappear after the first and second week of October and not show back up until late December. I do believe Ill be focusing on early season more than the rut from now on.

Mineral water: I always thought about the quality of food, but never thought about quality of water. After putting a several cameras near water sources this year, I found that literally every deer in one property went to one small puddle that dripped out from an old quarry. I realized that this water probably had high mineral content and thats why the deer went to it religiously. I guess preferred water sources are a thing too, just like preferred acorn trees.

Turkey calls: 2 of the bucks I shot this year came in after I added turkey calls to my grunt sequences. In fact, I did more turkey calling than grunting. After seeing deer literally walk up to me during turkey season for 3 straight years, I decided to give it a try. It works.

hot weather rut hunting: I hear a lot of people talk about how hot weather ruins deer hunting. This year was insane hot during the rut. The deer were still moving. I know they say to wait for cold fronts, but during the chasing phase of the rut I dont think it matters. They;re out chasing does.. I saw deer all parts of day during 70 degree weather.

Cell Cam rut intel: The woods heat up quick, One day its quiet and then the next its filled with scrapes. After several years of hunting the same properties. I found it is dependent on each property. Once I saw bucks on camera minutes or hours after I saw does on the same camera, I went in the woods. Each property seems to fluctuate when that was happening. Each time I did that I saw bucks. Sometimes these properties were only a mile or two away from each other, and the rutting would be a week or even two weeks apart. So when the "rut" is happening seems to be really property-dependent as well as region-dependent, or thats what Ive come to notice.

Scent: I paid extra attention to scent this year as an experiment (I never really cared before and never really believed you could fool a deer's nose). I didnt go as far as John Eberheart, because I didnt dress outside my car, and I didnt always wear scentlok.. But I used ozone machines in a scentlok bag, after washing my clothes and packs throughly, wiped down my bow and stick, and I scrubbed the hell out of my arm pits in the shower every morning. I walked slow to avoid sweating, and I was careful of what I touched on the way to my stands. I didnt get winded or blown at once this year... And thats never happened in an entire season for me. I dont know if it was luck or not, but ill keep being somewhat rigorous about scent control from now on.

Thats it!! Learn a little more every year is always my goal. Now its time to focus on turkey season!

Turkey calls: 2 of the bucks I shot this year came in after I added turkey calls to my grunt sequences. In fact, I did more turkey calling than grunting. After seeing deer literally walk up to me during turkey season for 3 straight years, I decided to give it a try. It works.
Sounds like you had a great year. Any thoughts on why those Buck responded to turkey calls?

Sounds like you had a great year. Any thoughts on why those Buck responded to turkey calls?
I think the presence of turkeys calm the deer because a turkey wouldnt be so vocal if humans or predators were around. turkeys have great eye sight, so deer use it as a protection. Also, I think that a habitat that is good for turkey is habitat that is good for deer, so if they hear turkey, they think food.

Great observation on the water source. That could pay dividends for a long time.
This is the puddle I’m talking about. To the left is a pile of stone from an old quarry. The water barely trickles out and forms a shallow puddle. Everyday there are deer here. This is from a few days ago. Definitely an amazing find

Attachments

• 18200693-CA99-4453-95BA-A0C554B78A7D.jpeg
    18200693-CA99-4453-95BA-A0C554B78A7D.jpeg
    58.6 KB · Views: 74
This is a phenomenal write up. Great observations and awareness. I really think the mineral water analysis has merit as well. Spring seeps in hill country always have deer activity near them and I believe not just because of a year around water source and greenery but also because of the actual quality of the spring water.

Dryad Drey: God damn, this might might be my favorite piece of gear ever. All day sits became a breeze and naps before sunrise and mid day were amazing in this thing. It's quiet, comfortable, and it hides my movement. I have the retrofit kit, but I’m going to completely ditch my saddle next year and just use a harness under this thing.

What saddle were you using the retrofit with? If you are one sticking, I would highly suggest practicing one sticking with your chosen harness. Don't do it with a minimal harness system like the Killdeer. It is not comfortable IMHO. Most regular rock climbing harness does not have built in lineman's loop. And honestly the weight penalty for a regular saddles is not that much.

What saddle were you using the retrofit with? If you are one sticking, I would highly suggest practicing one sticking with your chosen harness. Don't do it with a minimal harness system like the Killdeer. It is not comfortable IMHO. Most regular rock climbing harness does not have built in lineman's loop. And honestly the weight penalty for a regular saddles is not that much.
I was using CGS sidewinder. I was thinking about the mutiny.

This was my first year in the saddle. I've got an XOP, a Treehopper Recon, and a secondhand Drey I put on an RCH. I hunted in the RCH+Drey exclusively, with the exception of 2 sits in the Recon. 1-sticked in the RCH and then deployed the Drey at height. Easy, comfortable wears easily still-hunting to the tree, and is all-around my preferred system. Not going to sell of my other options but I'd encourage you to go with your plan.

This was my first year in the saddle. I've got an XOP, a Treehopper Recon, and a secondhand Drey I put on an RCH. I hunted in the RCH+Drey exclusively, with the exception of 2 sits in the Recon. 1-sticked in the RCH and then deployed the Drey at height. Easy, comfortable wears easily still-hunting to the tree, and is all-around my preferred system. Not going to sell of my other options but I'd encourage you to go with your plan.

What rch you use? I want one with linemans loops but know won't happen

What rch you use? I want one with linemans loops but know won't happen

I have a Misty Mountain. It doesn't have linesman's loops so I made a linesman's belt out of 1" tubular webbing. I popped a Condor battle belt cover on the RCH and ran the linesman's belt inside the battle belt. The battle belt Velcro-wraps around the base belt and the loops hang out the ends.

EWO has a standalone battle belt you can add to your RCH, or you can have one sewn to your RCH. I expect that sewing anything to your RCH will void the warranty so proceed with caution. I think CGM and other custom saddle shops will do the mod for you.

I like the Misty Mountain but if I got another RCH, I'd pick one with cobra buckles instead of tri-glide adjustments.

I had a great season! I didn't kill anything, but I enjoyed all my outings.

I learned what areas not to hunt next year, got rid of some extra baggage I was taking into the woods, added a few more spots for future seasons, gained a better understanding of the wind and thermals and learned the importance of previous seasons scouting notes. (One of the best spots with fresh sign for me this year was from last year scouting notes.)

Like many of us here, I've burned all my extra time off, so focused on the weekends scouting new areas for next season and looking for potential Spring Gobbler grounds. Love the outdoors!

I had a tough season but that was due to health. However, I did get in the saddle a few times. I love my Transformer and found it to get better with use. Very adjustable and easy to find comfortable positions. I still used 24” beast sticks and do like them. I would like a shorter stick because the step distance is a little too much for me.
I was able to put a buddy in a tree over a wallow for elk. Awesome to see a 6’5”, 250# guy hang from an aspen. It was like seeing a yeti swing around like a tether ball.
I did not kill anything this year but again, mostly due to health. I still had a good year and really only plan on making a few small equipment changes. I can’t wait for September!

Still got a little season(end of Feb) left but this weekend may be my last to hunt. For the year I have shot 3 hogs and one deer with the longbow and one miss with it, 1 deer with the compound hunting in the rain and one hog with my buddy's rifle with night vision. On paper that looks pretty good but the season has been the most frustrating I can remember. To date I have had 73 deer inside 60 yards 6 of which were mature bucks and have managed to shoot 2(a doe and 3y/o buck). Passed 2 opportunities, a doe with tiny little ones early in Oct and a pair of little ones in Dec because I couldnt tell if either was a button or not. The first thing I learned is my drive to kill still burns way hot. I also finally resigned myself to the fact that should limit the amount of times I try to hunt with guys I have hunted with majority of my life. What they want from a hunt and what I want from a hunt are just different now and it is an exercise in frustration hunting with them more times than not. That is not a knock on them as where they hunt and their health and physical abilities have changed the way they hunt. Love spending time in camp with them but just need to focus on doing my own thing as far as hunting goes. Put in well over 100 miles of scouting on 2 pieces of public I like to hunt and both learned and re-learned a good bit about those areas that will hopefully pay off going forward. During the season, I kinda hashed out some of the things I would like to accomplish before I run out of seasons including the states I would like to hunt. So I guess you could say this season had a good bit of learning and a good bit of it was about myself. It was a sort of drawing a line in the sand type season to set my focus and pursuing the hunt and the hunts that mean the most to me.

Back