• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Enlighten a conversation I'm having with my wife... does anyone still hunt with a Tethrd Mantis?

coolhand78

I told her I think I'm the last one... :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

And I just compared saddles to bras... I said to her, "Imagine you bought the very first commercially popular bra 4 years ago. It was marketed as the best, lightest, most comfortable.... game changing.... bra that was ever invented. And you stuck with it... even though it wasn't comfortable, for four years...making little upgrades, making it work.... even as you see a dozen companies sprout up, revolutionizing bra design. All kinds of innovations, improving the design, making them so comfortable, for all day sits...er, I mean wearing. Eventually, it's time to upgrade."

This all started with her question, (you know that tone in her voice), "So why do you think you need a new saddle?"

Hahaha... just venting.

So ready to pull the trigger on a Wood Deluxe :)

Last edited:
Not to far from you up the road in Fall River (just north of Columbus). I have a Cruzr XC, JX3 hybrid, and a Overwatch Transformer if you ever wanted to test a few others out. I haven't tried one of the Woods hunting saddles (though have heard nothing but good things about them - should be similar to the Cruzr) if you needed a test run to further confirm your suspicions! Welcome to the rabbit hole!

Last edited:
That’s why I have a savings account of my own that I put money into every paycheck. I can buy what I want as long as I can cover it with whatever is in that account. Also whatever is in my PayPal account from selling stuff is mine.

Same for me. But I have come to be honest with myself. Need to stop with fluff words like 'account' and 'budget', I'm basically getting an allowance!

This was a result of honest conversation with the wife too. We were creating a budget plan and spending habits. It made me realized that the things I buy are things that I want for myself and my current passion is not a family activity at the moment. The things she buy are usually for the kids and family stuff, which can be categorized into the family account.

So right now I have a limited fund, but I have zero guilt in using any of that fund for ANYTHING. I sometime nickel and dime myself to a corner, never building up a large reserves for something really nice. But at least I know I have no one else to blame and its not hurting the family finances at all.

So if you have the money, get what make you happy! Try everything!

Maybe try bringing up something more expensive... saddles are cheaper than new weapons! I know, I got this. What you really need is a new truck! Then if you "settle " for the new saddle you can point to all that money you "saved" :tearsofjoy:

Or you could aways try to buy her similar amounts of whatever hair or nails or whatever she's into. Maybe? Worse ideas have worked.

I thought you had a good point with the bras though. Solid argument. I'm probably going to file that for future use :)

You work and make money don’t you? Bills are paid, mouths are fed? Do you really need permission to buy something?
This^^^
Separate accounts brother! We pay an agreed amount each month but usually tell each other if we buy something for more than $100, we split groceries, goodies etc…
I told her I bought another shotgun a few weeks ago…….”well I got more perfume” she replied. I’d say the conversation went well!

New aspect for your wife. Your 4 year old saddle is reaching the end of its 5 year life and could become unsafe. Safety first.

DUDE!!! This is a great excu----REASON!

I'm gonna need all saddle manufacture to provide a note with their product that say the saddle is only good for 1 year. So we can show it to our spouse as reason we need new one. But.....guess that's too much to ask due to lawyers and 'laws' stuff....

Maybe try bringing up something more expensive... saddles are cheaper than new weapons! I know, I got this. What you really need is a new truck! Then if you "settle " for the new saddle you can point to all that money you "saved"
This is a solid approach. To solve complex problems, make the problem harder and then fall back. Used it many times in a range of situations.

New aspect for your wife. Your 4 year old saddle is reaching the end of its 5 year life and could become unsafe. Safety first.
X2 on this. SAFETY first my friend. Tell her it's either a new saddle, or better life insurance policy. On second thought, don't tempt her.. :oops:
But don't forget the other one I may have used... "I can sell this one, which means the new price is like half".

The approach I'd take with my wife is to explain the problems with the old saddle and then explain the cost of the new saddle and how it solves those problems. Lets say the new saddle is $250, then tell her how much I can get by selling my used saddle, say you could get $125 for used mantis. My wife woukd rell me that I should have done better homework before buying a mantis. I'll let her know she was right, I shouldnt have bought into the marketing hype and then explain to her that after I sell the old saddle, the new one is only going to actually cost $125.

In her head, she thought this buying mistake of mine was gonna hit us for $250, but after hearing that, $125 doesn't seem so bad and she will cave. Women can't resist getting something half off.

Back