• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Expandable DIY Pack ideas

frankp

I recently did a backpacking/hunting trip and came to the realization that my hunting pack (thread here: https://saddlehunter.com/community/index.php?threads/backpack.45847/ ) simply isn't sufficient for backcountry camping while hunting. Also not exactly designed for hauling out large game, though it is fairly sturdy for its size.

WIth that in mind, I've been looking at some of the commercial bags to see what features I might like. Unfortunately, I have no real-world experience with any of the "big game" hunting packs. So I'm turning to the folks here who might have some experience with some of the packs to see what features might be more successful.

Here are some things I've come with, some commercial and some not.

Expandable Capacity 30-70L
Removable frame: "Collapsible" carbon fiber frame that can be stored compactly.
Add-on Side pockets: Thinking full-bag length pockets that attach with straps of some kind...
Extendable roll top main body closure OR full length zipper (not really compatible with each other)
Removable lid that converts to fanny pack or chest pack
Removable/swappable hip belt with expandable pockets and option for sidearm holster
Meat shelf of some kind - not sure if there are different variations that might work better than others
Removable/reconfigurable weapon sling for either side or the back.
Integrated haul yoke for pulling a pulk sled

What am I missing?

Last edited:
Have you checked out Hill People Gear? They might have something that interests you... I'm personally in the EXO K4 camp when I need space.

I've tried for years to buy a bigger pack for the "just in case" or rare trips where I'm carrying a lot, and use it cinched down for day trips. Ultimately this led to frustration with the extra material/floppy bags, so I now am going with a pack system (the exo k4 as well) that has interchangeable bags of different sizes that ride on the same k4 frame. Hopefully the 2200 pack works well for day trips, the 5000 did for overnighters/week trips. I think this only makes sense on a framed pack, where you mount each pack to the same frame, though and if I'm not mistaken your pack is a soft/no frame pack?

Another thing I haven't seen in backpacks but see regularly on carryon/roller style luggage is a zipper that goes all the way around with a built in pleat to expand/compact the bag a few inches. May be an interesting experiment if you can find a strong enough zipper? Might make the weight shift too far away from your back, so applying the same concept to vertical expansion on a backpack? Not sure how that would work.

Another thing I haven't seen in backpacks but see regularly on carryon/roller style luggage is a zipper that goes all the way around with a built in pleat to expand/compact the bag a few inches. May be an interesting experiment if you can find a strong enough zipper? Might make the weight shift too far away from your back, so applying the same concept to vertical expansion on a backpack? Not sure how that would work.
The Alpz Traverse EPS has this expansion system, I have done a practice load with a 50# bag of cat litter and it carries fine. When it expands it's got a mesh compartment that is designed to hold big game quarters, shouldn't effect load balance too much as long as your put you heaviest items closest to your back like you would with a frame pack where the quarter goes directly on the frame and then the bag over the top of the quarter.

Mystery ranch cabinet is what you’re looking for

Appreciate the feedback, everyone. So I'll be basing my design on an ultralight backpack I designed a few years ago. I'm going to modify the pattern for that to get a "head start" on this design. Here are a couple pics of the original pack and I'll put up details as I go. Pack on the left is a ~40L version I made for my son, pack on the right is my ~60L version. Most likely my hunting pack will start with the 40L version then add an expandable meat shelf and some changes to the pockets and strap system to accommodate hunting a little better. 0508211518.jpg0508211519.jpg0508211519a.jpg

One thing you might consider is grabbing a used frame from one of the bigger manufacturers and building a bag around it. That ways you can take full advantage of all their years of trial and error instead of re-inventing the wheel yourself. Instead of a dedicated "meat shelf" like you might find on something like an alps outdoorz frame pack, the higher end packs use the frame and the bag to sandwich your meat between the two. I personally like this design because it naturally keeps the weight closer to your back and easier to carry.

Over the past 5-6 years I've only used kuiu and exo packs, I've heard good things about stone glacier and kifaru but never had the pleasure of trying them out. That being said from my personal experience I highly prefer the exo frame (titanium tubing) over the kuiu frame (carbon fiber). The kuiu frame is cheaper and easier to find but to be honest when you're loaded up with 45+ lbs it just feels like a heavy sheet of plywood strapped to your back. On the other hand the exo frame can move and twist with your body as you're climbing over deadfall and feels more natural to carry.

Last edited:
I don't know enough about ultralight, but would worry that ultralight packs and load carrying don't go hand in hand too easily? Ultralights packs in my limited experience are designed to carry like 30 lbs because the gear is ultralight as well, no?

Looking forward to what you figure out to accomplish this.

I don't know enough about ultralight, but would worry that ultralight packs and load carrying don't go hand in hand too easily? Ultralights packs in my limited experience are designed to carry like 30 lbs because the gear is ultralight as well, no?

Looking forward to what you figure out to accomplish this.
Not planning to make this one ultralight, just using that as a starting point. This version will have a collapsible internal frame and a more substantial harness system to help with the extra weight.

I personally have a stone glacier sky 5900. I trained for elk hunting carrying 60 pounds sand bag with no issues. For a week of elk hunting, my pack weighed 54 pounds with food and water. I carried too much food with and some other things I never used.

I think if you would get a Kifaru (heavy but indestructible), Stone glacier, or exo mountain k4 you will be set.

Some of your wish list would have to be stitched up on your own or have someone do it for you. I agree that you should get a frame pack though. The Exo k4 is supposed to be super nice from what I've read and seen on reviews.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

I will follow this one, but I bought a MR Popup last Christmas to get something in hand.

I do recommend that you check out the Nimrod Pack System, at least for ideas. It is the best modular system that I found when I wanted to build a workhorse pack. https://www.nimrodpacksystems.com/

I think that the multi-bag/single suspension system is a great idea, and I do believe that it can be done as a DIY project. I agree that it is more advanced than an UL backpack. There have been some great packs posted on here, but I can't find the one that I thought was the best but think it was by LeanMachine. He also has some good comments on this thread:

IMO, great suspension is the key, and it may be hard to build something that is really as good as what is on the market from several great pack manufacturers. But please keep us posted.

Hugh

There was a company I found this spring that was making an adjustable external frame. It was an upstart company so I don't know if they're around yet or not. I can't find it through Google, but I've only done limited searching for it. If I find it I will post a link.

This guy (https://sockdolagerequipment.com/products/ultralight-frame-stays-custom) makes stays. If you got a couple it would allow adjustment. Kifaru and Exo also sell stays.

I still think buying an external pack frame would be your best option though. Then build everything from there to for their frame.

I’m not sure how you can go wrong with the Kifaru frame, camp bag and a Stryker XL. Add a Sherman pocket or guide lid kit for bulky items strapped to the outside. I’m not a backcountry hunting guy but I’m a research type and I’m getting into it more and more.

Take a look at the Badlands Vario System for ideas. I have that system with the day pack, 33 and the 65.

Take a look at the Badlands Vario System for ideas. I have that system with the day pack, 33 and the 65.
This is what I have. The day pack is nice too because it has it's own straps so you can use it without the frame if you want too. In warmer weather, I'll go with just the day pack if I'm not going too deep. When it gets a bit colder and I'll need a heavier coat or I'm going deeper, I'll throw it on the frame. On colder days I'll put the bigger pack on to carry my winter gear.

I've carried two deer out in it so far, and it handled it fine. My legs hurt the next day, but my back was fine!

I bought an EXO K4 pack system for this past year and am extremely pleased with it as a hunting pack. After using many inexpensive (and some not so inexpensive) pack systems, this one is like going from a Pinto to a Ferrari.

It's prime intent is for back country extended trips....but it's way more versatile than that. I use it as a day pack and it works great for that.

Looking at the EXO K4 in light of your list of requirements, @frankp :

1. Expandable Capacity 30-70L

You can get 2200, 2800, 5000 and 7800 ci bags. Quickly/easily changed. I have the 2200 as a day pack, 5000 for back country longer trips.

2. Removable frame: "Collapsible" carbon fiber frame that can be stored compactly.

You can pull these, but the pack is not usable without them. I find that even with a day pack, I still have 15-20 lbs in my pack, so I want the frame and good hip belt to carry the load on my hips, not shoulders. YMMV.

3. Add-on Side pockets: Thinking full-bag length pockets that attach with straps of some kind...

Many of the EXO bags have stretchy side pockets, so they expand or contract as needed. Also you can pick the bag for the task at hand (day pack or back country, how many nights). Good hip pockets are also available for extra storage. The nalgene holder is brilliant. So I think this requirement is addressed, but not quite how you envisioned it.

4. Extendable roll top main body closure OR full length zipper (not really compatible with each other)

The bigger EXO bags have both!

5. Removable lid that converts to fanny pack or chest pack

Lid is removable. Not sure a lid that fits a pack well would work well as a fanny/chest pack. I wear a bino pack with my EXO. Horses for courses. Some requirements are mutually exclusive and if you try to address both you end up doing an inadequate job of both requirements.

6. Removable/swappable hip belt with expandable pockets and option for sidearm holster

You can swap the hip belts, but that is more from a good fit perspective. See Point 2 above. There are good EXO belt pouch options and there are good aftermarket options for sidearm holsters. The EXO belt has an awesome molle system which opens up all sorts of options.

7. Meat shelf of some kind - not sure if there are different variations that might work better than others

EXO's meat shelf is known as one of the best in the backpack biz. People routinely carry 100 lbs and even heavier when packing out animals and believe that EXO is at the top of the heap in load carrying ability.

8. Removable/reconfigurable weapon sling for either side or the back.

EXO has a rifle carrier accessory that can mount on either side. Other vendors have options that would also work on an EXO pack (FHF has a sling carrier, which I also have as do Kifaru).

9. Integrated haul yoke for pulling a pulk sled

Now this is an interesting ask, which I have thought about as well. I don't know of any big name hunting backpack manufacturer that has something like this. I've wondered if I could rig something up to attach to the molle webbing on the side of the ECO belt to accomplish this. Sounds reasonable on the surface. I'm gonna ask EXO what they think of this idea, since they are very open to product input and suggestions.

Yes....I'm am EXO fan-boi....but with good reason. The hype is real, from my first hand experience with the K4. Other way more experienced back country hunters (like Jay Nichol, Mindful Hunter on YouTube, who did a huge high end pack review last year) also concur. But EXO's pack is a top tier product and is priced that way.....which may be a consideration. Their packs are really. really good, but not cheap.

Anyway....beware of trying to address all requirements with one "product".....that usually ends up as a jack of all trades and master of none (not particularly good at any of the requirements). Sometimes having specialty "tools" for the particular task at hand is a better approach.

I concur with others that the best route may be to get a great, proven frame and then build your pack to fit if you still want to. The bag is not the most complicated part of the system, but all the parts of the suspension have to work together. Personally, I was looking to replace one pack with good shoulder harness and poor hip belt -and- an older Dana design pack with a great suspension for heavy loads but weighed about 6 pounds by itself. I do think that building a great pack from scratch is possible, heck Lean Machine did it; but it won't be easy. Trial and error costs you time and money, but only you can decide if the skills you lean and the pride in having built your own custom gear is worth it.

Everyone seems to be missing the fact that this is the DIY forum. I have designed and made at least half a dozen backpacks for use in all kinds of environments and needs. If there are any features you "can't do without" in your commercial systems, I'd love to hear about them. I appreciate the suggestions but I'm not looking to buy anything. I have no interest in spending hundreds of dollars on a commercial backpack or frame system.

Everyone seems to be missing the fact that this is the DIY forum. I have designed and made at least half a dozen backpacks for use in all kinds of environments and needs. If there are any features you "can't do without" in your commercial systems, I'd love to hear about them. I appreciate the suggestions but I'm not looking to buy anything. I have no interest in spending hundreds of dollars on a commercial backpack or frame system.
How much do you plan on carrying? Anything over 50 pounds might not be comfortable on a diy frame. Making your own stays will be difficult with carbon. Aluminum would be much easier to work with. For lighter loads you might be fine with "carbon arrow" stays.

I'd recommend looking at the frames from Kifaru, Exo, Stone Glacier, etc to see what you like. Then incorporate what you like into the frame. The belt portion should be straight forward to make.

I would recommend that you incorporate in a stuff sack top opening and a zipper into the main bag. I love that feature on my Stone Glacier sky 5900.

I would recommend removable stays vs. extendable. Any type of extension would result in a possible fragile point on the frame.

I would also recommend a molle system on the belt. They're just so versatile and I hate that my SG pack doesn't have it.

Definitely include load lifters. Well worth it on heavy loads.

If I can think of anything else to include or recommend, I'll let you know.

Good luck and keep us posted here on your build progress.

Last edited:
Back