• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

EZV help getting the hang of it.

parsnip

Received my EZV, chose my insert based on chronoed arrows. Yesterday I sighted in at 20 yards, w/ tic marks shooting at spots. Easy. Fast. Ruined fletching on two arrows and I thought, "I'm gonna love this thing!"

Shifted to a 13" cardboard circle with notches in the sides, and my groups are really falling apart. I was shooting 4" groups w/ my HHA single pin at 30 yards. Now my 30 yard groups look like my groups at 50 or 60 yards were looking with the HHA. Maybe 8-12" groups. Left, right, up and down. It's chaos. Most are in a kill zone circle, but at 30 yards, I was shooting WAY better before (all in center of kill zone) and it is starting to psych me out.

I love the sight picture. I love the idea of the ranging aspect. But my accuracy has decreased more than those upsides. I'm not about groups, as much as I am about lungs, but too many of these shots would be marginal re: lungs. Not saying anything negative about the site, which is well made, and the company is cool. But for those who love it and know it: help! What should I do to figure it out and make it work for me? I'm willing to give it a solid and aggressive try for 25 more days. I want it to work. Lemme know what you think.

thanks friends.

I know this is going to sound stupid, but humor me...

When you're at full draw, and you have the target in the sight picture, visualize where you want the arrow to go... Literally imagine the arrow going down range and hitting where you want in the middle of that sight picture .. And then let 'er go.

See if that helps, because it surprisingly did for me...

Shoot at a 3d target if that is at all possible. I agree with @DB4x4....it may take u a little longer practicing than using a pin sight but once ur brain understands the V and the gap I bet ur groups improve. Shooting at circles on a target my groups were on par or maybe a little worse than a pin sight but shooting at a 3d groups got smaller. I actually experienced the opposite... Close groups were loose but they tightened up at further distance.

Ok. This is helpful even if its a little "Wax on. Wax off." thanks both. Gonna try it out tomorrow. Aaron gave me a tip too I'm looking forward to trying: like learning to drive where at first you pay attention to the guard rail and the stripes, and then when you figure it out, you are looking at where you want to go w/ the guard rail and stripes in periphery. I feel like this thing is right for me, I just need to work on it.

I dealt with this in pistol shooting when people transition from iron sights they have been shooting for years to a red dot sight. They assume it will happen instantly and they will be faster and more accurate but that’s never the case. The brain has to unlearn what it has stored for thousands of reps and relearn an entire new set of data points and cues. Once it clicks though, it is easy from that point forward. I tell pistol shooters to expect it to take around 750–1000 rounds before the red dot takes over from iron sights. You are doing this same process but backwards. Going from a nice fiberoptic pin to trusting the force. Keep practicing. The 3D target will help immensely. I have a buck and a hog and a block from Delta McKenzie and the block target circle is the perfect size to bracket so that helped me a ton.

I know this is going to sound stupid, but humor me...

When you're at full draw, and you have the target in the sight picture, visualize where you want the arrow to go... Literally imagine the arrow going down range and hitting where you want in the middle of that sight picture .. And then let 'er go.

See if that helps, because it surprisingly did for me...
It's funny because sometimes you just do something without really knowing how to describe it. @DB4x4's post helped me put how I use the EV-Z in perspective in my own head. I find that I only really use the V in the sight initially upon target acquisition to determine my proper elevation depending on the range. Once I've "framed" the target in the V I almost completely ignore it from that point on. I just focus my gaze directly at the point I want the arrow to go and on release it just seems to end up there.

I have to admit, at 15 yds my groups have gone from golf ball size to baseball size. I can live with that. Where the sight has really helped me personally is at the longer distances where the pin blocked most of the target picture. At 35 yds I've gone from blooper ball groups to that same baseball size group. I attribute part of that to improved sight picture but I think most of it is that I don't get that target panic and try to punch the release when I think the pin is right "where it needs to be". Without having that to worry about I just relax and my release just happens more naturally.

Why did you sight in on spots? Use the paper target they gave you and sightin at 20 , 30 and 40 yards. You might have to make small adjustments . When I first started shooting the sight I would tell myself to frame the target and that made a big difference. Don't give up it will work and like Weldabeast said shoot some 3d targets. It's a hunting sight not a spot sight. Good luck and stay with it and your shooting will improve.

Last edited:
Ok. I think I wasn't picking my spot, and instead was using it as a 2 pin sight. 2x the float, 2x the panic, 2x the punch... I cut holes in the center of the cardboard, and I'm still not as consistent as the pin, but I'm getting better.

When you said spots I thought you meant shooting at spot on the target like a black spot or an x . That's what we call spot shooting and we even have leagues for it . lolScreenshot_20210409-123242_Chrome.jpg

I'll check out the FB page. Looks like a cool resource. What I meant re: spots was shooting at a spot to sight in. Wasn't shooting 5 spots 12 times... just sighting in and getting the hang of it via shooting at a small circle w/ a dot in the middle of it at a known range (and not at a 3-d target). I'm not as good as I want to be w/ it yet, but I think I'm making progress. It is much more zen than I realized. I really need to forget about the tick marks and focus on where I want the arrow to go. When I do it right, its pretty cool and very, very accurate. When I screw up and focus on the tick marks, I think I'm doing some sort of punching that doesn't lead to crazy fliers, but definitely is not as tight/consistent. Now I'm trying to keep from dropping money on a 3d target. I've invested $4 in tan spraypaint, and cut up a bunch of cardboard boxes to pin to the targets I've got. But the truth is, I'm probably going to end up owning a 3d deer. I never really wanted to own one for some reason.

The big shooter (about the cheapest) wears out really fast....sportsman's guide sells blemish glendel 3d every once in a while if u keep an eye out for them. Worth the extra money

I’ve gotten by a long times without a 3D target. It always sorta seemed like the bow hunting equivalent to a blow up doll. No offense to those who use 3D targets. Or blow up dolls. Just sorta seemed weird to me. Hoping to get by w cardboard and/or tan spray paint for now. (For a target, to be clear). But who knows where this is going...

Back