• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Fabric layout & cutting

tcg144

Anyone have tips, tricks or a good video on how to measure and cut fabric? I think this is what I struggled with the most on my projects so far. It’s not like a piece of wood or metal that doesn’t stretch/wrinkle. I did buy a rotary cutter with measure mat and straight edge but still took awhile to get a square piece cut that was actually square. I was starting at the corner of my fabric or edge, wondering if I should just move slightly away from edges, layout and cut the whole shape out and have some small scraps??

Make a cardboard pattern lay on flat table. Weight it down draw on edges with fabric marker or crayon then take pattern off and get straight edge and lay on marked fabric and use scissors or rotary cutter to cut go slow and you’ll do fine

I use a weighted 36” square and lay it across mark my lines then I cut all my fabric with a hot knife. Seals the edges and doesn’t stretch as badly as using scissors or a rotating cut blade

We use wood templates and a press cutter for bulk stuff, but a weighted template and rotor cutter like you are using on a self healing mat is the way to go. I would also start at least a 1/2 inch from any edges. One more tip...dont sweat waste to a point that it is unproductive. Ive spent more time worrying about waste material than its worth for sure.

We use wood templates and a press cutter for bulk stuff, but a weighted template and rotor cutter like you are using on a self healing mat is the way to go. I would also start at least a 1/2 inch from any edges. One more tip...dont sweat waste to a point that it is unproductive. Ive spent more time worrying about waste material than its worth for sure.
CNC laser router is the way to go :sweatsmile:
But who can afford it

Back