• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Favorite headlamp?

DanielB89

I am looking for a new head lamp for this season. I am looking for one mainly for tracking deer and I want it to be bright enough to start a fire should I leave it in one place for too long.

I would prefer to stay south of $30 as I am hard on stuff and ill likely replace it or buy a couple more if I like it.

What are you guys using?

Black Diamond Spot 325

2a2f2f3403e31be697304ae4344c99a8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am extremely impressed with Fenix lights (overall and for the money).

I have this one

but also this that is a true replacement for a handheld torch

I carry either of those. The last one uses rechargeable lithium ions that hold a charge a while and are very powerful.

I don't ever want to drop a headlamp and be stuck in a tree in pitch dark, so I also carry one of these in my pocket.

Primos Top gun but I think its discontinued. Bought a Streamlight clipmate green led for Turkey season. I really like that you can clip it onto different places or use it as a headlamp. I may use it this fall also.

Definitely not made in America (definitely a trend I am trying to abide by now more so than ever), but I have no complaints on this one... Bright as hell, and at this price, if I leave it somewhere inadvertently, not crying myself to sleep like it was a Streamlight or something.

-madgrad02

I am a huge fan of lights that are similar to that, but I can't stand the thought of having 5 different bulbs on my head. lol. I much prefer a single light set up.

I hate to say but I’m a big fan of this rechargeable Walmart special:
f380cb257c7473cb4b2424d1d74bc2f3.jpg

Right in your price range. I use it CONSTANTLY including for hunting. In fact I bought 2 so one can always be working while the other one charges.

Right in your price range. I use it CONSTANTLY including for hunting. In fact I bought 2 so one can always be working while the other one charges.

How long does the charge last?

You just reminded me that I bought a couple amazon specials last year.. lol. They're rechargeable and are really good lights for the cost. The problem is my son typically plays with all my lights and they don't always return come hunting season. lol.

Thank you guys for all the suggestions.

Anything from Nitcore or Fenix. Rechargeable 18650 batteries are the best. I have flashlights and headlamps that all use the same battery. It's really nice to be able to use the same battery for multiple items. Well worth the price. Both companies have good customer service.

I do AC work and oftentimes I am working all day with a headlamp, this headlamp is not south of 30.00, but the battery life on high is unbelievable. It is rechargeable and has the best battery life I have found. The rubber strap doesn’t absorb sweat either. Just be sure to epoxy the lamp to the strap bracket. They made it removable so it can attach to a fixed bracket. I throw the bracket away and just use the headlamp band. 76137180-99F0-4A61-817F-08003B3A521F.png

I have a black diamond storm. Comes in 375 and 400 lumen flavors. The 400 is stupid bright. Has red and green modes as well. Uses standard AAA which I like. Can be found for $30s if you shop around. The 375 is a bit cheaper

I've used a Coast FL65 400 lumen for a couple seasons now. Can be had at Wal-Mart for under $30. It's a pretty wide angle beam that works good for taking down/putting up gear in the dark as well as blood tracking. I use a streamlight flashlight in conjunction if I need a longer focused beam.

I've used a Coast FL65 400 lumen for a couple seasons now. Can be had at Wal-Mart for under $30. It's a pretty wide angle beam that works good for taking down/putting up gear in the dark as well as blood tracking. I use a streamlight flashlight in conjunction if I need a longer focused beam.

I been using the 85r for a year now, little bigger/brighter but more $$. Either is a good choice though, save some battery money since it’s rechargeable. And if it does you can throw some AAAs in to keep going while the pack charges outside the light

Spencer

I am extremely impressed with Fenix lights (overall and for the money).

I have this one

but also this that is a true replacement for a handheld torch

I carry either of those. The last one uses rechargeable lithium ions that hold a charge a while and are very powerful.

I don't ever want to drop a headlamp and be stuck in a tree in pitch dark, so I also carry one of these in my pocket.

I looked at one of their handheld lights yesterday and I will be getting one of their lights. They seem to make a really nice and extremely bright light for a good price.

I do AC work and oftentimes I am working all day with a headlamp, this headlamp is not south of 30.00, but the battery life on high is unbelievable. It is rechargeable and has the best battery life I have found. The rubber strap doesn’t absorb sweat either. Just be sure to epoxy the lamp to the strap bracket. They made it removable so it can attach to a fixed bracket. I throw the bracket away and just use the headlamp band. View attachment 34788
I use that one too, it's a great light

Whatever you do...buy two. Or at least have a backup. Preferably with something that takes the same batteries

Back