• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Favorite ROS

kenecs

SH Member
Jan 3, 2022
Northeast MO
What’s everyone’s favorite or go to ring of steps? How about strap? OCB seems to be the go to for most.. how’s the treehopper ocb with the longer handle compared to the EWO?

enkriss

SH Member
Sep 13, 2018
5 - 1” squirrel steps anti skid coated by OOAL

I use an EWO OCB for the weight and bulk. But they aren’t strong and I have broke a few.

The Treehopper OCB is a tank. It ain’t gonna break but it’s huge.

Ratchet strap still gets them the tightest and easiest to use.

Reactions: phatkaw and kenecs

kenecs

SH Member
Jan 3, 2022
Northeast MO

I use an EWO OCB for the weight and bulk. But they aren’t strong and I have broke a few.

1in make a big difference for comfort or stability on them? Been interested in getting the tree hopper ocb to try but it being huge probably means a bit of weight to go with it.

enkriss

SH Member
Sep 13, 2018
1in make a big difference for comfort or stability on them? Been interested in getting the tree hopper ocb to try but it being huge probably means a bit of weight to go with it.

I feel they are definitely more stable.

Reactions: kenecs

Westdesign03

SH Member
Nov 3, 2019
Ohio

Curious how much the OOAL coating quieted down the squirrel steps for you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bfriendly

Jul 15, 2021
I haven’t heard of the cam buckles breaking until now. I’m using one from EWO and I highly recommend them….I’d like a longer handle on them though. How much bigger can another brand OCB be if it’s made for say 1” webbing? I’d probably get the ones with a longer handle next time.
As far as the actual steps go, I have Hawk monkey bars and love them. Vet taped them to eliminate noise. I still prefer a platform so I put 2 steps on the strap and have the best of both worlds.

Reactions: Samcirrus

Weldabeast

SH Member
May 23, 2019
Northeast Florida
Ocb shouldn't require a bunch of force to operate....longer handle will give ya more leverage to cam it over but also putting lots more strain/pressure on the rivets on the ocb.... There's a technique to it... If u are straining to cam it over u doing it wrong. I've broken 1 ocb (user error, trying to make too tight) but no issue since then...I have a spare just in case.... Finesse over brute strength....start with it a little loose and slow and easy keep taking slack out with the handle a little at a time. Practice makes perfect

NMSbowhunter

SH Member
Jan 3, 2022
I started the season with 5 Pioneer steps from Bullman Outdoors on an Eastern Woods Outdoors (EWO) OCB strap and loved it. I added 2 more steps part way through the season since I was tackling some larger trees and wanted the added real estate. It worked out great. I wrapped them in vet tape for silence. I can highly recommend. I will be using them again this upcoming season paired with 2TC.

As far as the OCB's breaking, I haven't heard of this before. Not doubting anyone, just a bit concerned. I do lean on it a bit for that second snug down. My method is to get the steps where I want them, pull the strap but leave enough slack to cam over with a good bit of pressure. Then I let off while pulling out more slack, then lean on it to cam it over until I hear that "snap" sound of the buckle closing. It is then as tight as you can get it. I saw this method on Nutterbuster's Youtube channel and it has worked great for me.

I will inspect my OCB for wear and I may order a spare...may have a spare...need to look.

Attachments

• Ring.jpg
    Ring.jpg
    511.4 KB · Views: 75
Reactions: gcr0003

Exhumis

SH Member
Mar 12, 2019
Northern Virginia
I don’t use RoS but if I did it would be these I tested:

kenecs

SH Member
Jan 3, 2022
Northeast MO
I don’t use RoS but if I did it would be these I tested:
Look like they would be solid

Noonespecial

Dec 10, 2019
I’ve used the old Ameristeps, Squirrel steps, Treehopper, DIY wood blocks and Cranford Saddle Scaffold. The Cranfords with their ratchet straps beats them all hands down. Cam straps break and any step with a flat back will not set against a round tree no matter how tight you get it. A thick bark tree is a nightmare. I’m a huge ring of steps guy but would never even consider them for a hang and hunt. If your that type of guy go with a platform it will save you many headaches. I do a lot of presets, public land I use cheap strap on sticks with the Cranfords and private all screw in steps. My mobile setup was beast sticks with the predator platform but now changed to the Tethrd Skeletors but I’ve never used them in the 3 seasons I’ve saddle hunted because I usually get my deer from preset locations.

Reactions: kenecs

enkriss

SH Member
Sep 13, 2018
The amount of room required for the Treehopper was the killer for me. I was going to eliminate the hook and sew it so it didnt take up as much room. On narrow trees it’s a pain. I decided to just stick with the EWO

NMSbowhunter

SH Member
Jan 3, 2022
I’ve used the old Ameristeps, Squirrel steps, Treehopper, DIY wood blocks and Cranford Saddle Scaffold. The Cranfords with their ratchet straps beats them all hands down. Cam straps break and any step with a flat back will not set against a round tree no matter how tight you get it. A thick bark tree is a nightmare. I’m a huge ring of steps guy but would never even consider them for a hang and hunt. If your that type of guy go with a platform it will save you many headaches. I do a lot of presets, public land I use cheap strap on sticks with the Cranfords and private all screw in steps. My mobile setup was beast sticks with the predator platform but now changed to the Tethrd Skeletors but I’ve never used them in the 3 seasons I’ve saddle hunted because I usually get my deer from preset locations.
I've wondered about this with the Cranfords. They look like a great setup but I wondered how people were using them for run and gun hunts. I have some Cranford strap steps and sort of gauged the weight and bulk of a set of 5 or 6 Scaffold steps based on this. I wonder if most use them for presets? How many sets of the Cranfords do you have? I agree screw ins and/or bolts are superior for private land and would likely be the overall choice if there were not the legal prohibitions on most public land.