• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Filming hunts with Saddle

bowhunter15

Vendor Rep
I put together a video showing how I set up my cameras to self film from the saddle and maneuver for various shots. There are probably many variations to this, but hopefully it gives some guys a head start on what to play around with if they decide to give filming a try:

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Great video as usual. One thing not mentioned in the video that I learned from @DaveT1963 was passing the bow on the other side of the tree for weak side shots. This works really well with when you a navigating around the camera. Especially trad bows.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I have so much to learn about filming hunts… probably not going to happen this year even though I have all the equipment. there is far more to this than I ever thought

Last edited:
Decided to become a righty eh?

Filming is always in the back of my mind as a temptation. Has been for over 10 years. I appreciate the content yinz put out, it would be cool to relive hunts. Then I see the mechanics of it and it just looks miserable, haha.

I've often wondered how much more effective of a hunter I could be if I didn't film. Less weight, less set up steps, less movement. Total focus on getting the shot off.

But then there's times like when I was surfing through that 2007 footage, and there are little bits and pieces that I really didn't even remember. So it was cool to relive through the footage. And of course being able to share it, and the fact that I'm invested in the equipment so I better keep using it.

I've often wondered how much more effective of a hunter I could be if I didn't film. Less weight, less set up steps, less movement. Total focus on getting the shot off.

But then there's times like when I was surfing through that 2007 footage, and there are little bits and pieces that I really didn't even remember. So it was cool to relive through the footage. And of course being able to share it, and the fact that I'm invested in the equipment so I better keep using it.

I do think it adds a lot of complexity and it will no doubt cost you a deer or two along the way. I have 1500 dollars worth of brand new gear and I am not even sure I will carry it while actually hunting? But it will come in handy when I capture scouting, kayaking, etc.... You guys that religiously carry all that and make the effort impress the heck out of me now that I have all the gear. It certainly has to be a passion.

I won't lie. It scares the bejesus outta me going back to it. I remember lugging that stuff years ago.

I almost gave up on it. It’s so much better with your mods. I’m actually looking forward to it again. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of the only reasons I am really considering it is to share with my grandsons one day so they can see what their pa pa loved so much. They live so far away we don't get to spend the time I wish I could with them and they are growing up so dang fast.

I won't lie. It scares the bejesus outta me going back to it. I remember lugging that stuff years ago.
I love doing it, but I am right there with you brother.....gotta be willing to tote all that weight for sure!

I put together a video showing how I set up my cameras to self film from the saddle and maneuver for various shots. There are probably many variations to this, but hopefully it gives some guys a head start on what to play around with if they decide to give filming a try:

I have to say that your videos have been extremely helpful while learning to do this kind of stuff. I’m a huge fan of your vids and podcast. Certainly appreciated

I have so much to learn about filming hunts… probably not going to happen this year even though I have all the equipment. there is far more to this than I ever thought

I said the same thing until I started bringing my camera equipment into the tree and setting it up whenever I climb to shoot for practice as I prep for the season. Just like anything....just takes some practice.

I know my vids suck and can’t compare to the pros on here but here’s an example of practicing with the vid setup

Completely agree. There are times I question my sanity and ask “why the heck and I dealing with all this?!” But when I go back and watch my hunts from a few years ago I instantly know why I went through the effort. Those little details you completely forget come rushing back and it’s like you were right back in the tree again. The footage I have of my son and my dad I hold really close and know it will be priceless one day!

Unfortunately work has me bogged down and I doubt I will get to practice shooting form my saddle. while I shoot every day, there are zero trees locally that I can practice from, nearest public ground is over an hour away. luckily I have been shooting trad gear for several decades and my aiming form a tree doesn't really change much from the ground.

Excellent video @bowhunter15! Really good information.

Another option on those weak side shots where you pass the tether over your shoulder is to rotate the other way on the platform so the tether wraps over your release hand shoulder. Advantages to this are you don't have to pass the bow over or under the bridge and the tether and attachments are oriented behind the bow string so there's no possibility of them catching the string on release. The obvious disadvantage is that you need to turn your back to the deer briefly. However, if you hear or see the deer coming from a distance its easy to make the move. It's just another option if the opportunity to turn is there.

EDIT: By the way, I love the idea of the retractable lanyard for the grunt call. I'm definitely incorporating that into my gear strap.

Last edited:
Reactions: WHW
Awesome stuff. Does anybody have ideas on how you would film with 2 guys in saddles out of one tree? I think a tree with a split or two trees close to each other is going to be the only way to get that "over the shoulder" shot. I feel like there are too many ways to make jokes with this, haha.

Awesome stuff. Does anybody have ideas on how you would film with 2 guys in saddles out of one tree? I think a tree with a split or two trees close to each other is going to be the only way to get that "over the shoulder" shot. I feel like there are too many ways to make jokes with this, haha.

I was thinking it wouldn't be that hard to come up with some really good jokes, lol. I would think, having never done this, that one would just be above the other, curious what the folks that consitantly film think.

Back