• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

First Lite Merino base layers

Publicpounder

I started a post about Sitka gear and it was suggested to go with first lite merino for my base layers vs Sitka. What would be a good set to get for full day sits in 25-45 degree temps? I think I will be teaming it up with a sitka stratus bibs and jacket.

I literally know nothing about Merino or first lite. Merino is wool isnt it?

Yes from a special breed of sheep I believe. I’ve only used Kuiu Merino wool base layers and love them. I’ve heard firstlite has the best. I’d like to hear some opinions on those who have tried Kuiu and firstlite.

I have some of the aerowool products for mid season and I am happy with them.

Also check out minus 33 what I’ve been running for last few years. All they do is merino. You won’t get the fancy Camo patterns but doesn’t bother me. I’d recommend getting few different weights to play around with. I run Stratus bibs and jacket with the minus 33 midweight and lightweight. Prolly gonna add the expedition weight this year as well see how far I can push the Stratus.

I have first lite products and love them. I mainly hunt in NE/NW Florida but also in NC,MO,MT and I use all my products for those areas. For the heat/early season I have the obsidian aerowool 150 called LS crew. I love that thing. It’s light, breathes really well and silent. If I sweat getting into a tree after about 20/30 minutes the outside of the shirt has moisture on it and I cool down. If it gets cold I also have the obsidian kiln hoody 250 which is awesome on a chilly morning. I always wear the 150 as a base layer then throw on the 250. Finally I have the sawtooth hybrid vest that I’ll toss in a pack if it’s really going to be cold. That thing is nice and keeps me warm. For pants I only have the obsidian merino pants. They’re nice, light and quiet but the damn things tear easy, if you aren’t going through the swamp like here in FL I’m sure they’re fine. I’m going to be buying the catalyst soft shell jacket at some point but as of now I have an old bass pro mossy oak jacket that I’ll throw over everything if it’s super cold, Overall I’d recommend it for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also like my First Lite gear. I’ve perused sitka and whatever it is they’re selling as the material fails to convince me. The FL wool stuff is just great, quiet, durable, comfortable, doesn’t stink...

They hold several sales per year so try to catch one.

I’m bummed they no longer sell ASAT. My favorite.

I got some new first lite gear this year. My favorite so far is the catalyst pants. They are great. I also have the kiln hoody and sanctuary set. It's all really well built, super comfortable and very quiet. I'm looking forward to testing it all out this season.

All my gear is first lite with the exception of a layer of scent lok.

The merino base layers are amazing. Had mine 6 seasons no signs of wear

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Yes from a special breed of sheep I believe. I’ve only used Kuiu Merino wool base layers and love them. I’ve heard firstlite has the best. I’d like to hear some opinions on those who have tried Kuiu and firstlite.
I def prefer firstlite merino over all others i have tried including Kuiu, sitka, icebreaker, smartwool...I would even put smartwool ahead of Kuiu in my experience with it, but it took longer to dry... that said i had some of the original kuiu merino and i've heard it has gotten better since.

I hunt in Canada. The last couple of years I have Moose hunted 2-3 hours north of Thunder Bay running all day sits in Nov. I run merino socks and base layers (a lot of first lite, some other stuff). I am not going to say that I never get cold, but I am always operational. Without the merino, I would for sure be less comfortable.

This year I picked up the First lite Furnace long johns and shirt. I'll post my comments on it later on once it get cold. They look and feel warm as heck.

I’ve been using Woolpower (Original Ulfrotte) for the past several years and it’s the best base layer fabric I’ve used. The inner portion is made up of terry loops which feels soft against the skin and wicks moisture away making it seem like it’s not there. The only issue is price as it’s very expensive. From a durability perspective, I honestly wouldn’t have thought they would have held up but I only have two shirts and wore them all fall, winter and spring for two years and they are just fine. I’ve tried almost everything noted above (with the notable exception of First Lite) and I always go back to Woolpower.

I just purchased first lite baselayers (fuse 200 and furnace 350) I cannot speak to the furnace yet but the fuse have been pretty awesome. I don’t sweat as much and in turn doesn’t make me as cold when I go stationary.

First line merino layers are da bomb. Highly recommended

I started a post about Sitka gear and it was suggested to go with first lite merino for my base layers vs Sitka. What would be a good set to get for full day sits in 25-45 degree temps? I think I will be teaming it up with a sitka stratus bibs and jacket.

I literally know nothing about Merino or first lite. Merino is wool isnt it?
I used the fuse top and bottom between 35-50 degrees last year. Colder than that and id go to the furnace. The kiln is between the two, but im not a fan of the 3/4 length bottoms.

Thinking of getting a set of First Lite Furnace. Can you wear these as a first and only layer (against the skin)? I see on their website they suggest to be used over a thinner base layer.

Thinking of getting a set of First Lite Furnace. Can you wear these as a first and only layer (against the skin)? I see on their website they suggest to be used over a thinner base layer.
I've done that and once I get in the tree, I put my jacket on. I've also used the furnace top and the sawtooth vest only as well.

I have the furnace bottoms...totally fine next to skin. Really nice actually. Those paired with the catalyst have been my go to this season. Hasn't been below 40 yet but I haven't gotten cold. DWR is great too. I walked through tall grass with alot of dew and never soaked through, sun came out and dried the outside shell really quickly.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

@Patriot38 - Sizing for Furnace as suggested worked fine? When purchased with intent of being next to skin versus over a thinner base. I wear 36 jeans, 34 would be tight, 35 perfect. 5'10'' 175lbs

Back