• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Fletching Arrows

Bigterp

Staff member
SH Member
I got a dozen bare shafts cut down & a new bitzenberger jig...... I’m gonna play around with some old arrows. Any pointers from guys who build their own?? I’ve watched a bunch of good YouTube vids & I’m fairly meticulous, so I think it should be ok. But I’ll entertain words of wisdom from all comers.

Main thing is make sure that you’re getting full base contact on the fletching. You can offset the clamp a little to get some extra twist to the vane if you want. I put a vane or feather in it and adjust the the clamp to get the maximum offset helical then just go to it. It’s really straight forward. Use good glue and don’t over apply the glue to create excessive squeeze out. Mark your clamp so you place the vane in the same location and dry fit each one in relation to the first and slightly move it to make sure it’s as close as you can get to being In the same place.

A lot of vanes are ever so slightly different lengths. I set mine so all the backs are in line and let the difference fall to the front.

Keep the nock seated tight and when you index the receiver be sure to rotate till all the slack is out. Repeat that on every one and you’ll produce professional looking arrows every time.

I would advise going through Nockon Archery’s YouTube channel. I typically clean shafts with acetone or alcohol. I use AAE vanes so use their prep pen prior to applying glue. I wipe the glue smooth with my finger and then place in bitzenberger jig. This has worked amazingly well for me.

I'm lazy so I use quick fletch vanes. Just boil water dip the arrow with the fetching in and BAM! Save alot of time and you get a Crest for checking your hit. I love them

I agree with Nate, check out the nock on archery how to videos on YouTube, and definitely use the aae max weld primer pen, I could tell a big difference with the strength of my vanes staying on, good luck!

I use an arizona EZ fletch mini. Works great and puts a perfect right helical on them. I like the portability of the arizone jig, but my cousin has a bitzenburger jig and that seems nice too. I don't have a dedicated workbench for archery so the portable jig is preferred.

I personally like building arrows (even if I don't do it all that often). I square nock and insert ends using a squaring tool. Glue the inserts myself (goat tuff or g5 blu glue), and do a 3 vane fletch with the arizona jig. Have not had any issues with erratic flyers in several years and if I do usually a nock tune will fix it.

I use an arizona EZ fletch mini. Works great and puts a perfect right helical on them. I like the portability of the arizone jig, but my cousin has a bitzenburger jig and that seems nice too. I don't have a dedicated workbench for archery so the portable jig is preferred.

I personally like building arrows (even if I don't do it all that often). I square nock and insert ends using a squaring tool. Glue the inserts myself (goat tuff or g5 blu glue), and do a 3 vane fletch with the arizona jig. Have not had any issues with erratic flyers in several years and if I do usually a nock tune will fix it.
So I’m super green to the diy side of arrow building & tuning...... what is nock tuning & how does it work?

So I’m super green to the diy side of arrow building & tuning...... what is nock tuning & how does it work?
Nock tuning is turning your nock to line up with another vane and seeing if a "flyer" gets back in line that way. Sometimes the spine of the arrow is off and turning the nock will bring that flyer right back in with the group. This is one reason some guys use a 4 fletch is that it gives them one more option to nock tune. I try to buy shafts with high tolerances and by doing that I haven't ever had to worry about it.

G5 squaring tool is a must!! I really like the 30-06 insert iron and also the AAE Max Impact stuff.

Ok so here is my setup I’m trying out Easton axis sm diameter (4 or 5mm can’t remember) match grade 260’s with a 75gr insert, 4” wrap & 3 2” blazers. I see what you’re getting at with nock tuning, trying to account for some irregularities in spine at launch??
I was running fmj’s for the past 3 seasons, but just trying to switch it up.....

Ok so here is my setup I’m trying out Easton axis sm diameter (4 or 5mm can’t remember) match grade 260’s with a 75gr insert, 4” wrap & 3 2” blazers. I see what you’re getting at with nock tuning, trying to account for some irregularities in spine at launch??
I was running fmj’s for the past 3 seasons, but just trying to switch it up.....
I doubt you'll have any flyers with those match grade shafts, but you never know.

I also went from several seasons of fmj’s to the Axis nano’s this season. The Fmj’s are a great shaft but I couldn’t get over the bending.

I also went from several seasons of fmj’s to the Axis nano’s this season. The Fmj’s are a great shaft but I couldn’t get over the bending.
They were great if someone was giving them to me, but I just found them expensive to shoot. I didn’t have a ton of problems bending, but so much ke down range tended to mushrooms heads around that insert.........

They were great if someone was giving them to me, but I just found them expensive to shoot. I didn’t have a ton of problems bending, but so much ke down range tended to mushrooms heads around that insert.........

That is true also.

To each their own but I don't know why anyone shoots aluminum shafts anymore. I don't miss the headache or expense of bending arrows.

Back