• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Flex Football DIY...meh...

always89y

Vendor Rep
SH Member
So, I decided to try the whole "flex" concept with the football shaped saddle. Turned out good, but I have to say, I dont think anything is gained over the original design. When flexed, it does change the dynamics of the adjustable bridge loops as well. I think its the angle the bottom webbing that makes the difference. The regular football shape does a fine job of cupping when in the sitting position, so the added material of the pleat is kind of lost. If your a long time sitter, then it might be good for you.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200201-091051_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200201-091051_Gallery.jpg
    432.1 KB · Views: 420
  • Screenshot_20200201-091114_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200201-091114_Gallery.jpg
    426.9 KB · Views: 422
  • Screenshot_20200201-091135_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200201-091135_Gallery.jpg
    441.5 KB · Views: 388
  • Screenshot_20200201-091155_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200201-091155_Gallery.jpg
    424.4 KB · Views: 373
I have been planning on doing a DIY saddle for a while and definitely after seeing the phantom, but you sir have been inspiring. Thanks for sharing all your builds. Glad this isn't a competition, the rest of us are way behind.

I have been planning on doing a DIY saddle for a while and definitely after seeing the phantom, but you sir have been inspiring. Thanks for sharing all your builds. Glad this isn't a competition, the rest of us are way behind.
Thank you sir. I would be the guy buying every saddle that came on market if funds allowed! But, they dont, so it either make it myself or nothing.

@always89y Thanks for sharing all of your DIY builds! Great stuff. From all the different features you’ve tried, I’d love to hear what your ideal build would be! What seat material? Comfort channel bridge loops or no? Vertical LB loops or horizontal? Football shape or other? Flex pleats or no? Etc, etc...

Thanks again for sharing.

Thank you sir. I would be the guy buying every saddle that came on market if funds allowed! But, they dont, so it either make it myself or nothing.
No need to buy every saddle that came to market with the amount of skill and talent you have. Don't see how some of you guys pull this stuff off but you definitely do. It looks great man!

@always89y Thanks for sharing all of your DIY builds! Great stuff. From all the different features you’ve tried, I’d love to hear what your ideal build would be! What seat material? Comfort channel bridge loops or no? Vertical LB loops or horizontal? Football shape or other? Flex pleats or no? Etc, etc...

Thanks again for sharing.
Thanks!
Well, a lot of folks wont like this, but to me its hard to beat a modified Anderson sling. See the Wraptor, and the Tree Hopper sling. Comfort, versatility and adjustability cant be beat. The entire saddle is chassis and Ive never experienced hip inch.

I dont get anything out of the adjustable nodes on the saddles I have built because the natural center of the bridge loops is my sweet spot. That will be different for everyone. They will be handy in a mass produced saddle (phantom) were each saddle isnt made specifically for one person.

For material saddle, the mesh is hard to beat in my eyes. It stretches and conforms to your high points and decreases pressure that you might experience in a cloth saddle.

My ideal build, and my next build will be an Anderson style sling, double sling with the top sling being adjustable. So, you will be able to take the top sling in and out. Im going to use some milspec 2" elastic material to limit the distance between the top and bottom sling.

Thanks!
Well, a lot of folks wont like this, but to me its hard to beat a modified Anderson sling. See the Wraptor, and the Tree Hopper sling. Comfort, versatility and adjustability cant be beat. The entire saddle is chassis and Ive never experienced hip inch.

I dont get anything out of the adjustable nodes on the saddles I have built because the natural center of the bridge loops is my sweet spot. That will be different for everyone. They will be handy in a mass produced saddle (phantom) were each saddle isnt made specifically for one person.

For material saddle, the mesh is hard to beat in my eyes. It stretches and conforms to your high points and decreases pressure that you might experience in a cloth saddle.

My ideal build, and my next build will be an Anderson style sling, double sling with the top sling being adjustable. So, you will be able to take the top sling in and out. Im going to use some milspec 2" elastic material to limit the distance between the top and bottom sling.

Until about a week ago I would have said you’re crazy thinking that an all-strap saddle like the Anderson could be more comfortable than a solid saddle. I’ve owned 4 different fabric saddles and made a couple of others. Then last week I started working on a new DIY saddle and tried a strap-only prototype and damn if you’re not right! Being able to move the top and bottom independently is a big deal! Still got a lot of stuff to try on this build but it’s been pretty surprising so far...

Edit: I gotta thank @Bwhana for all of his build ideas on here, too!

Until about a week ago I would have said you’re crazy thinking that an all-strap saddle like the Anderson could be more comfortable than a solid saddle. I’ve owned 4 different fabric saddles and made a couple of others. Then last week I started working on a new DIY saddle and tried a strap-only prototype and damn if you’re not right! Being able to move the top and bottom independently is a big deal! Still got a lot of stuff to try on this build but it’s been pretty surprising so far...

I second the @Bwhana shoutout

same here. Impressed with how little you really need for comfort.

Definitely jumping in on props to@bwhana!
I made a wraith w fleece saddle that is the most comfortable sling style saddle i’ve tried!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Am I reading this right @always89y that given two side-by-side football-shaped saddles, that you think the one with flat sewn mesh is equal or superior to one with some natural cup built into using pleats etc?

Am I reading this right @always89y that given two side-by-side football-shaped saddles, that you think the one with flat sewn mesh is equal or superior to one with some natural cup built into using pleats etc?
In my opinion, and for me, that is the case. Here are the 2 saddle I am comparing.
I believe the mesh and shape provide enough cupping. The pleat adds to much.

Attachments

• Saddle15.png
    Saddle15.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 130
Not trying to derail your thread but I wanted to say Thank You @always89y! You inspired me to break out the thread injector and actually make that saddle I've been threatening to make for a while now. My first one was very similar to your "Sally" but I thought she was a little too skinny for me. I followed her up with this one. I'm calling her "Rosie" (AC/DC song reference). She's 15 inches wide rather than 12. I left off the lineman's loops (I just hook directly into the bridge loops regardless) and the molle loops as I only put a couple accessory loops on my saddles anyway. My workmanship isn't in your class but it'll do for who it's for.

I took her out for a test drive tonight and I have got to say this is easily the most comfortable saddle I have ever sat in. It stayed put and never needed adjustment once from the time I put it on. Thanks again for the push and the football shape. What a difference! :)

1580682937356.png
1580682985557.png

Not trying to derail your thread but I wanted to say Thank You @always89y! You inspired me to break out the thread injector and actually make that saddle I've been threatening to make for a while now. My first one was very similar to your "Sally" but I thought she was a little too skinny for me. I followed her up with this one. I'm calling her "Rosie" (AC/DC song reference). She's 15 inches wide rather than 12. I left off the lineman's loops (I just hook directly into the bridge loops regardless) and the molle loops as I only put a couple accessory loops on my saddles anyway. My workmanship isn't in your class but it'll do for who it's for.

I took her out for a test drive tonight and I have got to say this is easily the most comfortable saddle I have ever sat in. It stayed put and never needed adjustment once from the time I put it on. Thanks again for the push and the football shape. What a difference! :)

View attachment 24601
View attachment 24602
That is a shared sentiment sir! Your videos got me started!

Saddle looks awesome! I bet that's close to under a pound. Also love the gear hooks. Simplicity at its best.

Back