• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Fliplines

Dressedtokill

Does anyone use a a so called flip line with a wire core? Is it worth it? I know my friend that has a tree service highly recommends one just do to a regular linesman belt taking more forward leaning towards the tree to move up the tree. If any uses one how does it pack and is it heavy or bulky? Thanks J

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not worth it unless you are climbing really big trees. Nice to have though.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Not worth it unless you are climbing really big trees. Nice to have though.

Thanks! What about pine trees? If you have pines in your area. Is the flip line bulky to pack?

Thanks! What about pine trees? If you have pines in your area. Is the flip line bulky to pack?

The bulk is in the coils. You can wear it on your side or stuff it in backpack but you won't be able to stuff it into a small pouch on your saddle.

Pines don't make much of a difference. You just need to deal with the pitch compared to other trees. Regardless of flip line or rope lanyard, you want a tough, abrasion resistant sheath that doesn't snag on bark. The flip line helps disengage snags but it's not that big of an issue on trees less than 2' diameter. You can still do a "western roll" with a rope lanyard and a good sheath.

Wire core flip lines aren't even that popular with Arborists, definitely don't need one for hunting.

I bought one when I bought my first spurs. I never even opened it because it was so heavy. It is overkill for anything we are doing.

I've been happy with Sterling HTP, Sterling Tritech, KMIII, and Samson Predator.

Just climbing rope with a ropeman is sufficient.
It doesn't necessarily have to be a ropeman but they are popular because they are quiet and relatively inexpensive.

If you have a lot of limbs, you may also want to consider two lanyards or a 2 in 1 lanyard. Most 2 in 1 lanyards have a common prussic loop in the middle and no mechanical rope grab. You can add a rope grab to a 2 in 1 to make it more user friendly but you need to maintain the prussic since the rope grab doesn't offer any bidirectional protection like a prussic.

It doesn't necessarily have to be a ropeman but they are popular because they are quiet and relatively inexpensive.

If you have a lot of limbs, you may also want to consider two lanyards or a 2 in 1 lanyard. Most 2 in 1 lanyards have a common prussic loop in the middle and no mechanical rope grab. You can add a rope grab to a 2 in 1 to make it more user friendly but you need to maintain the prussic since the rope grab doesn't offer any bidirectional protection like a prussic.

Got any pictures?

Your 2 in 1 linesman belt! I climb trees with limbs a lot and this sounds interesting

Nothing readily available but there are numerous commercially available options. You just add another mechanical rope grab between the end biner and the prussic. when working from your primary you adjust length with the loop. without the primary the only adjustment is the prussic.

2f0968ca7b97beb325a85c6e68ac475a.gif

Nothing readily available but there are numerous commercially available options. You just add another mechanical rope grab between the end biner and the prussic. when working from your primary you adjust length with the loop. without the primary the only adjustment is the prussic.

2f0968ca7b97beb325a85c6e68ac475a.gif

I’m not quite understanding

This is a lanyard with a rope grab, ropeman type
e19284c19407a3078f1004e6c5ea0c38.jpg

This is a lanyard with a rope grab, ropeman type
e19284c19407a3078f1004e6c5ea0c38.jpg

Yes my set up looks just like that I just thought you had something alittle different to go around limbs faster

Back