• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Foam Filled Sticks

SHF Hunter

How big of a difference does filling the tubes on climbing sticks with spray foam make as far as noise? Is it worth the cost and time to use the spray foam? Is there any drawbacks or negative effects?

I don't have experience with foam in our sticks but stealth strips really quieted down my Lone Wolf sticks. It's not fool proof but takes away the sharpness of the sound for that accidental bump.
It seems like the foam would deaden the sound and if you're clumsy and hunt from a boat, I can see the benefits of foam filling. :) It's some messy crap though, I use it a lot at work and you're better off letting it dry and scrape it off rather than try to wipe while wet.

It also doesn’t dry very well. The ends of the foam will film over and it stays wet down inside the stick for a long time. That sounds a little perverted but hopefully it makes sense.

Highly recommend against it. The juice ain’t worth the squeeze…

For the minimal amount of sound deadening it might do it’s a mess, stinks, probably won’t dry ever.

At the end of the day you are just adding weight to those sticks….

I did it to mine. Bought the aluminum tubes from EWO, drilled my own holes (like beast sticks), wrapped them in stealth strips, put one end cap in, and filled them all the way up. I put the other end cap in immediately. It worked well for me. I didn't find it to be particularly messy either.

If I were to do it again, I would put an end cap in, fill the tube, let it dry, drill the holes, wrap in stealth strips.

Well worth the hassle in my opinion. I need to bang the sticks together with force before I hear that metallic twang. It would be remarkable if you could tell the difference in weight as you walk to your tree.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Just did my Lone wolf full length sticks with Loctite Foam filler. I honestly think it helps a lot! It changed the sound too. From a loud ting to a dud and the sound seems not to ring out as long.
Cost- 1 can 8.99$ did all four sticks with some left over.
Weight- I didn’t notice any weight at all. Can weights 12oz so I’m assuming dry and setup it can’t weight more that that right? Spreading that weight out over 4 sticks and still had some left in can.
Mess- wasn’t that bad. Let it dry overnight and it will peel right off and then some denatured alcohol will clean it off completely.
Note- Let it dry outside for a day or so. In the sun as I think it helps it dry. I did it in the garage and once i thought it was done and then once I took them outside they expanded way more. Also the guys from Tethrd Recommend the loctite brand, can’t remember why but that may or may not matter to you. I went with their suggestion and I’m happy I did.

(1)Gain weight (2)stinky (3)potentially becomes saturated with water adding more weight if you use the wrong type of foam

If they are that noisy use stealth strips

I have a Summit Viper that was very noisy so I filled what I could with foam. To be honest I didn't notice a difference. Then again there are areas on it that you can't fill.

I wonder why aluminum tubes compare to steel.

I've filled cheapy 3 step steel sticks with great stuff and seen a massive improvement. Same goes for my old steel hang ons.

I've never tried it on Aluminum, but judging by the comments here it isn't worth it.

Anyone just try shoving chunks of pool noodle in their sticks? Seems like it would deaden sound without the mess...

Back