• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Gear that doesn't exist wishlist

elk yinzer

SH Member
Along the lines of the 2023 gear thread...

Man looking back 5-10 years it's crazy how far we've come.

What do you want to see hit the market in the future that currently isn't out there?

Mine:
1) More mobile climber options. Been rumored a couple years now but I'll believe it when I see it. Current mobile craze is screaming for this. I believe the holdup is how midwest centric the whitetail market is. They may not be as useful in the trees out there, but climbers are super practical in eastern hardwoods. There needs to be more mobile minded offerings pronto.

2) Build feature into trail cameras (cell or preferably not) that can be set to activate at a later date. Would love to get my cams out now while scouting but save the batteries I really don't need or want the photos until months from now in mid summer.

3) Light hikers that are actually built to last. Across several brands I've tried it seems planned obsolescence is the way of the world now. Lucky to get 100 miles out of a pair, it's ridiculous. Someone needs to get hikers back to bombproof so I don't need to purchase 3 pairs a year.

4) Better quality/more integrated backpack suspensions for the premium mobile treestands. You should be able to get a Kifaru/MR/SG/Exo/etc. level suspension on any mobile stand on the market without having to hack something up and use inferior junk like zip cables. Don't worry about what it costs, just give the serious mountain hunters something to easily turn their mobile stands into load haulers.

Along the lines of the 2023 gear thread...

Man looking back 5-10 years it's crazy how far we've come.

What do you want to see hit the market in the future that currently isn't out there?

Mine:
1) More mobile climber options. Been rumored a couple years now but I'll believe it when I see it. Current mobile craze is screaming for this. I believe the holdup is how midwest centric the whitetail market is. They may not be as useful in the trees out there, but climbers are super practical in eastern hardwoods. There needs to be more mobile minded offerings pronto.

2) Build feature into trail cameras (cell or preferably not) that can be set to activate at a later date. Would love to get my cams out now while scouting but save the batteries I really don't need or want the photos until months from now in mid summer.

3) Light hikers that are actually built to last. Across several brands I've tried it seems planned obsolescence is the way of the world now. Lucky to get 100 miles out of a pair, it's ridiculous. Someone needs to get hikers back to bombproof so I don't need to purchase 3 pairs a year.

4) Better quality/more integrated backpack suspensions for the premium mobile treestands. You should be able to get a Kifaru/MR/SG/Exo/etc. level suspension on any mobile stand on the market without having to hack something up and use inferior junk like zip cables. Don't worry about what it costs, just give the serious mountain hunters something to easily turn their mobile stands into load haulers.

regarding #3 boots, I've heard it is partly due to the new earth-friendly glues being garbage

also, the boot industry needs to stop it with the goretex and breathable membranes when those membranes don't do anything.....boots fully clad in silicone-impregnated leather do not breath to any significant degree no matter what membrane you use....but these membranes have the liability of being fragile on a boot and breaking easily (due to the wear and tear of walking).....so your membrane that doesn't breath can start to leak.....leather with a backer that is tough and totally waterproof (but not breathable) is a way forward....it's all about not being overly insulated for your walk and managing the moisture via socks and boot liner that is before the goretex

i have neoprene boots that do not feel clammy at all because they have a cloth liner and i wear a wicking liner sock....feel just like leather boots

Last edited:
regarding #3 boots, I've heard it is partly due to the new earth-friendly glues being garbage

also, the boot industry needs to stop it with the goretex and breathable membranes when those membranes don't do anything.....boots fully clad in silicone-impregnated leather do not breath to any significant degree no matter what membrane you use....but these membranes have the liability of being fragile on a boot and breaking easily (due to the wear and tear of walking).....leather with a backer that is tough and totally waterproof (but not breathable) is a way forward....it's all about not being overly insulated for your walk and managing the moisture via socks and boot liner that is before the goretex

i have neoprene boots that do not feel clammy at all because they have a cloth liner and i wear a wicking liner sock....feel just like leather boots
I just want them to start making rubber snake boots it with steel shanks so leaning or ROS will never hurt your feet but you’ll still have the stay dry, odor protection and warmth of rubber boots and the snake bite protection.

A windwalker with leveling platform and seat. If you wondering how to level that camp stool seat, you replace it. Parts are in just need some time to assemble and test.

A climbing mission platform. Parts are in need time to assemble.

3 blade glue on broadhead. In process.

Purpose built saddle/treestand hunting clothes. Prototype sewing about to commence.

I just want them to start making rubber snake boots it with steel shanks so leaning or ROS will never hurt your feet but you’ll still have the stay dry, odor protection and warmth of rubber boots and the snake bite protection.
Maybe treat them with something that causes them pythonacondas to gag so you dont get swallered whole.

A windwalker with leveling platform and seat. If you wondering how to level that camp stool seat, you replace it. Parts are in just need some time to assemble and test.

A climbing mission platform. Parts are in need time to assemble.

3 blade glue on broadhead. In process.

Purpose built saddle/treestand hunting clothes. Prototype sewing about to commence.

why not put daisy chains or whoopie slings in place of the cables to allow you to level them? Could use a versa button that can lock the amsteel so it doesn't trap door on you

This would be for fixed stand hunters i guess but hunting pants with a water proof seat n knees. A wet ladderstand or hang on seat makes for a short morning on cold days.

Climbing platform/micro stand. Even though climbers are not ideal in my part of the country but it would be sweet for rifle hunting when tree selection isn't as critical

1: Wide rubber boots

2: less “waterproof” and more breathable footwear. Work boots included.

3: a bombproof version of the lone wolf hand climber that can handle large trees as well as 6 inchers.

4: A compass unaffected by magnets.

5: A device that safely and effortlessly disconnects your rope from tree after rapel.

Base layers and socks that actively managed sweat/moisture and dry themselves. Sometimes I feel that nanotechnology will be the only real way to deal with sweating walking in when it's cold out, and then freezing in the stand.

Slow motion video chronographs to enable practice and tuning (this exists, but not as a one single device)

Self-healing targets that are also gentle on broadheads and stop a high powered crossbow bolt but release easily

And one that's been talked about a bit before- pants with an integrated saddle. Is 2023 the year to hunt in Sants?

Last edited:
Have you tried putting green superfeet in a pair of alpha burly's or muck's? Arch on the superfeet doesnt work for my foot but I found another insole that does and have been wanting to try them in my alpha burly's.

A pill that makes my pee smell like a hot doe...

In all seriousness, I second the light hiker idea. Trying to do research on boots to find out what will actually last is such an ordeal. Haven't found any replacements for the two pairs of boots I went through this season.

It would also be nice to see a wool or fleece neck gaiter/ face covering combo where the front around your mouth and nose is mesh, and the rest is warm to prevent condensation build up on your face while it's covered.

Maybe this exists and I haven't seen it, but climbing sticks that you can break down, think QD steps. I'm tired of walking through the woods like a giant treble hook

Have you tried putting green superfeet in a pair of alpha burly's or muck's? Arch on the superfeet doesnt work for my foot but I found another insole that does and have been wanting to try them in my alpha burly's.
I have not. My rubber boots are dry shods and I usually carry my Carolina lineman’s boots instead if I’m not in a particularly wet area.

1: Wide rubber boots

2: less “waterproof” and more breathable footwear. Work boots included.

3: a bombproof version of the lone wolf hand climber that can handle large trees as well as 6 inchers.

4: A compass unaffected by magnets.

5: A device that safely and effortlessly disconnects your rope from tree after rapel.
You might get some of those, but number 4 will never happen :sweatsmile:

also, the boot industry needs to stop it with the goretex and breathable membranes when those membranes don't do anything.....boots fully clad in silicone-impregnated leather do not breath to any significant degree no matter what membrane you use....but these membranes have the liability of being fragile on a boot and breaking easily (due to the wear and tear of walking).....so your membrane that doesn't breath can start to leak.....leather with a backer that is tough and totally waterproof (but not breathable) is a way forward....it's all about not being overly insulated for your walk and managing the moisture via socks and boot liner that is before the goretex

Sympatex

Back