• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Gear Update, or Good To Go?

Herpnerd

Hi All,
I've been saddle hunting since 2010. I picked up a setup on the advice of a friend and haven't looked back. I have been hunting from an old-fashioned Trophyline saddle, the leather one with the heavy webbing straps. I've been very comfortable up in the tree but I haven't put much thought into what I hunted with or how until recently. I've been aware of this forum but haven't ever really participated - what I had was working, and I'd rather spend my time in the trees or on other hobbies

Last season, and at the start of this season, I started feeling kind of vulnerable with my gear. I know that everything holding me up there is 10+years old, and that if something gives out or fails it could very well be my last hunt. Since I don't have close contact with anyone else knowledgeable about saddle hunting I didn't really have anyone to check things over for me, or give me advice, or let me know what improvements/upgrades I could make without scrapping the whole setup.

So, any thoughts from the community? Is a 10 year old saddle still solidly safe (unless I can find obviously worn/damaged parts) or should I find a way to strength test it? If so, what's a good way to do so? Is there a way to see/know when a saddle is at the end of it's 100% confident useable lifetime?

Alternatively, for a few hundred bucks and a whole new setup, will I be really impressed with the improvements of new gear on the market? Has anyone else switched from the old Trophyline saddle and notice major benefits?

Thanks all.

Andy - Bow and occasional shotgun hunter, Bordentown NJ

I just started saddle hunting in 2015, but I’m only 20-30 mins from you if you ever wanted to meet up and try a newer/different saddle!

Those saddles were great and if you inspected it to make sure everything is solid and stitching is good then get some more years out it but with a lot of the new saddles out there today the comfort will be greater as the new designs are amazing it’s up to you if you want to up grade

You can always call Trophyline and send it in for inspection/repair and then know for sure you are good to go. You can save some money that way.

Also look here in the classifieds section. Saddles go for sale there all the time for decent prices as well.

Good luck.

You can always call Trophyline and send it in for inspection/repair and then know for sure you are good to go. You can save some money that way.

Also look here in the classifieds section. Saddles go for sale there all the time for decent prices as well.

Good luck.
Cool idea - I thought Trophyline had gone out of business (maybe they did for a while?). That's a good idea to see if they'll inspect.

I just started saddle hunting in 2015, but I’m only 20-30 mins from you if you ever wanted to meet up and try a newer/different saddle!
Yeah I'd be down for that. There's another thread running with people in Burlington/Camden counties looking to get together somewhere soon. Which direction are you?

Back