• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Getting started

Loopwing

SH Member
Alright, I have caught the simplicity bug of the traditional bow, thanks to "Alone". I am 6' 3" with a 31" draw length. I need a traditional bow. I am unsure what I want or need. I am a sponge, I need your knowledge. If you have gear you want to get rid PM me and we can figure something out. (Before we go down a whole rant of practicing and ethics of hunting without practicing.) This will be a backyard target bow for a very long time until I feel comfortable enough to put all my arrows in an 8" circle at 20 yards during a session (a year or 2). I am not in a rush to kill a deer with it, I just want to have another technique in my quiver.

Welcome to the wonderful world of the stick and string. Where to start? Do you have a particular style of bow that suits your fancy right now? I believe Clay Hayes uses a selfbow longbow (Haven't watched the Alone series in quite a while) so maybe that is the style you are thinking of and are interested in.

Basically, there are longbows (several types) and recurves (several types). I am a longbow guy though I do own several recurves. I hunt with a 56#@28 inch Northern Mist Longbow, an ASL (American Semi Longbow). Longbows are very forgiving. They are also a bit slower than recurves but not so much it will hurt you hunting.

You definitely have the right attitude concerning becoming proficient with the bow before taking it out after an animal. Some people take to trad like a duck to water and get good fast. It took me a while until I felt competent. I still have my off days.

Good luck and have fun. Trad hunting is a blast.

Last edited:
Honestly I have no idea at all what I want. I have deer killing tools, lol. I just want to have the stick, string, and fingers skills also. I am one that limits my archery shots to less than 40 yards anyways. I know traditional is even closer than that. I am ok with the self imposed limits to be ethical for the animal I am trying to kill.

Do you know anyone locally who shoots trad archery? Is there a club nearby? Ideally you could get your hands on several types of bows and shoot them and see if one style speaks to you. At this stage you really need to try some different bows out. This is usually pretty hard to do.

Most trad hunters limit their shots to 25 and in with most limiting to 20 yards. For me, I like the shot to be somewhere in that 16 and in range. This is not a huge departure for me though since with a compound bow, I limit my shots inside 25 yards and my 4-year average is 16 yards.

I am going to go to the local archery shop, but the guy in there has an "compounds are gold, and everything else is crap" attitude. He will order anything I want him to and will hook me up with people. I just figured I would talk to you guys first. Wish I had seen @longbowwoman post yesterday.

I am going to go to the local archery shop, but the guy in there has an "compounds are gold, and everything else is crap" attitude. He will order anything I want him to and will hook me up with people. I just figured I would talk to you guys first. Wish I had seen @longbowwoman post yesterday.
Keep a lookout on here. There are some great deals like that one yesterday. I saw that ad and knew it would not last long. If the local archery shop guy can put you in touch with some trad archers that's great, but it sounds like he won't be much help personally. I have had good luck buying off Ebay, you take a risk but so far, for me, it has been good.

@Loopwing you need to make a trip up the road and come visit me for a few hours. I have a couple bows that you could shoot. You're a lefty, correct?

One other thing I'll add. Don't overbow yourself with too much draw weight. That's the biggest problem new people can get themselves into. I know, I stared at about 60 pounds. Big mistake.

Righty or lefty, if you are close, I'd take Redbeard up on that offer to come over and see the bows and get some insights. It will help you a lot.

Yeah, a 60lb draw on a compound and a 60lb draw on a traditional are worlds apart. I know a lot of people that couldn't pull 60lbs on a traditional, let alone be accurate with it.

Or keep an eye out on the online goodwill site. Some real steal that I been forbidden (wife can't see the logic of having more than 10 bows....) to even consider. I would consider getting a warf/frankenstien-able bow and slapping samick limbs for fun.

THIS!!!! 29lbs!!

WARFable!!!

Yeah, a 60lb draw on a compound and a 60lb draw on a traditional are worlds apart. I know a lot of people that couldn't pull 60lbs on a traditional, let alone be accurate with it.
I started too heavy and had to back down, then I started working my way back up and settled on a good weight for me at 56#. I have a 63# Howard Hill Tembo and a 69# Bobby Lofton longbow. The 69# is my strength bow and is about at my personal max that I can shoot accurately.

I shoot a 60 pound compound.

Last edited:
You will most likely draw a bit shorter with a stickbow but still gonna have a long draw. There is no "in stone" guidelines for bow length but longer will be easier to learn on imo. I wouldnt recommend shorter than 62" on recurve and 64" on longbow and long on both will be fine. I would prolly lean toward recommending an ILF setup to start. Something like a 19" riser and long or XL limbs in the 30-35# range. Easy to upgrade weight and quality of limbs as you progress. Once you get to the point you know what you like and want then order a custom bow if you want too. Tom Cum or Rod Jenkins courses on The Push website will save you a lot of headaches in developing good shooting form.

Back