• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Going super light with 1 stick

Ehlusive

So, I'm always thinking of ways to go lighter but still always take gear I need. I've took my one stick, wrapped oplux(rappel) around stick and fastened it. The took my linemans and ran it thru my 14 inch stick and wore it all as a belt(super light and i can get it tight around waist.) I dropped all decenders and using munter to rappel. I run around 35 ft of oplux, and a 14 inch shikar with monarch. I ran a badlands monster 2+ pounds just in the bag, plus figure 8 and few other things not 100% need

What other ways have you guys cut weight but still one sticked?

So, I'm always thinking of ways to go lighter but still always take gear I need. I've took my one stick, wrapped oplux(rappel) around stick and fastened it. The took my linemans and ran it thru my 14 inch stick and wore it all as a belt(super light and i can get it tight around waist.) I dropped all decenders and using munter to rappel. I run around 35 ft of oplux, and a 14 inch shikar with monarch. I ran a badlands monster 2+ pounds just in the bag, plus figure 8 and few other things not 100% need

What other ways have you guys cut weight but still one sticked?

I cut the badlands out of lineup for time being btw

Ditch stick and learn 2TC. If you can one stick you can 2TC. You already have everything you need to 2TC except maybe a foot loop

But then I have carry separate platform. So am I gaining much? I made a make shift loop and tried 2tc climbing once in yard. I really struggled. I do admit I didn't give it more than one shot, so I am sure it would get easier.

I second @Hall17. The only thing I’ll say is it takes a good amount of practice, my first climb was terrible, they keep getting better every time. I just didn’t deploy it this season because I knew I wasn’t proficient enough.

I agree also on the 2TC. My first few tries were terrible. I stayed at it and this season it has been almost all 2TC. I use a ring of steps (7 Pioneer on an OCB). Everything I need fits in a medium backpack. It has been so nice to ditch sticks all together.

Below is a picture of everything I take except my bow.

I can get on some trees I'm not sure the sticks would have worked on.

Attachments

• 2TC hunt kit.jpg
    2TC hunt kit.jpg
    516.7 KB · Views: 85
  • 2TC oct 28 1.jpg
    2TC oct 28 1.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 83
  • 2TC oct 28 2.jpg
    2TC oct 28 2.jpg
    442.6 KB · Views: 83
  • 2TC wma set.jpg
    2TC wma set.jpg
    444.7 KB · Views: 80
But then I have carry separate platform. So am I gaining much? I made a make shift loop and tried 2tc climbing once in yard. I really struggled. I do admit I didn't give it more than one shot, so I am sure it would get easier.

the first time I tried for 5 min and got 2 ft and was a mess haha. Second time I made it to 10, and worked on getting down from there. Third time was 20 min to hunting height and a sweaty mess. Next time was15ish then 11. For me it’s the same as sticks timing wise just adding sweat.

this off season I’m going to practice more and give one sticking a shot since my buddy got one.

But regardless if you like it or not, it’s good to know for rescue purposes or if you drop a stick etc.99% of us carry enough to make it work in a pinch so it’s always a solid backup.

Once we're down to 10 lbs or less for a system you're comfortable with how much difference will an ounce or 2 make? I guess the memories of carrying a stand and 4 sticks is still fresh in my mind so the huge drop in weight and simplicity of carrying a one stick system in under 10 lbs is still amazing.

Once we're down to 10 lbs or less for a system you're comfortable with how much difference will an ounce or 2 make? I guess the memories of carrying a stand and 4 sticks is still fresh in my mind so the huge drop in weight and simplicity of carrying a one stick system in under 10 lbs is still amazing.

I agree. I packed heavy ole stands for miles to only end up back at the truck before prime time even because I never found what I was looking for. And I still don't mind, if I know exactly where I'm going. Just as I get somewhat older and I've really put my body thru alot; my back tells me daily. So, half pound here or there don't seem like much but end of the day it does for some. Why pack 2, 3, or more lbs in Just a pack when you are able to eliminate things. I know they help in distribution of the loads, but again added weight. It also allows junk to get thrown in that isn't necessarily needed imo. Anywhere I can functionally streamline, I try.

The weight difference between one-sticking and 2TC depends on your platform that you use.

Seems like each time I took my lightest 2TC setup out I ended up climbing a tree that was a pain in the butt to 2TC but I could've one-sticked it no problem...

So, I'm always thinking of ways to go lighter but still always take gear I need. I've took my one stick, wrapped oplux(rappel) around stick and fastened it. The took my linemans and ran it thru my 14 inch stick and wore it all as a belt(super light and i can get it tight around waist.)

got pics?

Ok so what’s your total gear weight right now?

2TC + ROS is Bar none the lightest you can go of the non screw into the tree variety.

Here are ideas of what you “could” do to save weight. These are ‘could do’, not what you ‘should do’ because you lose some safety redundancies this way. But, for the fun of the conversation of light weight set up
  1. For your one stick set up you could also ditch the rappel rope and lineman’s belt and save some weight. One sticking down is easy and I never have a need for a lineman’s belt while 2TC or one sticking. Once you get useto it you won’t even notice it’s gone.
  2. you could get rid of the monarch and get a scout.
  3. Get rid of a cam buckles if using that and go to Amsteel and cam cleat
  4. Lastly, switch to traditional bow hunting and pick you up a bearpaw slick stick because these things are feather light
That’ll shave off at least 5 lbs but you ain’t about it!

Ok so what’s your total gear weight right now?

2TC + ROS is Bar none the lightest you can go of the non screw into the tree variety.

Here are ideas of what you “could” do to save weight. These are ‘could do’, not what you ‘should do’ because you lose some safety redundancies this way. But, for the fun of the conversation of light weight set up
  1. For your one stick set up you could also ditch the rappel rope and lineman’s belt and save some weight. One sticking down is easy and I never have a need for a lineman’s belt while 2TC or one sticking. Once you get useto it you won’t even notice it’s gone.
  2. you could get rid of the monarch and get a scout.
  3. Get rid of a cam buckles if using that and go to Amsteel and cam cleat
  4. Lastly, switch to traditional bow hunting and pick you up a bearpaw slick stick because these things are feather light
That’ll shave off at least 5 lbs but you ain’t about it!

Ok, so I think this thread is slightly off what I intended. I enjoy the one stick, sometimes I one stick with a top step only and short hunts. I an considering dropping rapel rope. No buckles in my setup. Unfortunately my bow is the heaviest item in my setup but I shoot it well and it's staying. Don't matter how heavy or light I go, if I miss. This thread wasn't to see how light one can go per say, but little things that lightened you up but still allowed everything you needed/wanted. Kinda like my example of ditching the bag and attaching ropes to one stick and wearing it all in.

Ok, so I think this thread is slightly off what I intended. I enjoy the one stick, sometimes I one stick with a top step only and short hunts. I an considering dropping rapel rope. No buckles in my setup. Unfortunately my bow is the heaviest item in my setup but I shoot it well and it's staying. Don't matter how heavy or light I go, if I miss. This thread wasn't to see how light one can go per say, but little things that lightened you up but still allowed everything you needed/wanted. Kinda like my example of ditching the bag and attaching ropes to one stick and wearing it all in.
What do you mean it ain’t about how light one can go lol, Title “going super light with one stick”

I gave you several good ideas to go super light with your one stick and the bow one at the end is less serious because ain’t too many people about that life.
How would we possibly know everything you need/want to bring? You could tell us your essentials

You could tell us what you don’t want to get rid of and we can help you cut weight from there.

You could also take a picture of your set up like @NMSbowhunter did so we can see what all you bring.

You could ditch the rappel rope, lineman’s belt, backpack, and switch to a scout platform instead of the monarch, cam cleat and Amsteel or button with Amsteel daisy chain.

if you are not trying to change your one stick or lose anything I think you’re about as light as you can go.

Otherwise you could rename this thread, “I’m already pretty light but I’m not taking suggestions” lol

please take this lighthearted, I’m joking around and also happy to help out

What do you mean it ain’t about how light one can go lol, Title “going super light with one stick”

I gave you several good ideas to go super light with your one stick and the bow one at the end is less serious because ain’t too many people about that life.
How would we possibly know everything you need/want to bring? You could tell us your essentials

You could tell us what you don’t want to get rid of and we can help you cut weight from there.

You could also take a picture of your set up like @NMSbowhunter did so we can see what all you bring.

You could ditch the rappel rope, lineman’s belt, backpack, and switch to a scout platform instead of the monarch, cam cleat and Amsteel or button with Amsteel daisy chain.

if you are not trying to change your one stick or lose anything I think you’re about as light as you can go.

Otherwise you could rename this thread, “I’m already pretty light but I’m not taking suggestions” lol

please take this lighthearted, I’m joking around and also happy to help out

You're right, I'm probably as light as I'M willing to go at this point.

I don't take much to heart, ain't got time to let things live inside me. Got to waste that time thinking of hunting. Enjoy, thanks

You're right, I'm probably as light as I'M willing to go at this point.

I don't take much to heart, ain't got time to let things live inside me. Got to waste that time thinking of hunting. Enjoy, thanks
I like your set up. I have not tried one sticking yet, it is on the list. I am not sure I could go with that small of a platform. I do have 2 14" Shikars. Are you using a cam cleat?

There is a little learning curve with 2TC my first few attempts were complete failures but after the a few more times I got the hang of it and probably had about 50 climbs this past season with no issues. I carry a small amsteel daisy chain to hold in place with when passing limbs. I never tried one sticking but really have no desire now unless I inherited a one stick. To me it seems like the safest way to go as well

IMO once you have a standard one stick setup that’s about as minimal as it gets while maintaining some modicum of comfort while climbing and sitting. I like light as much as the next guy, and I know 2TC is the lightest out there, but if I get to the point that I’m not enjoying it anymore, then what’s the use. IMO, you will save the most weight by looking at all the other crap you carry into the woods, including what you eat, what you drink, clothing, everything gets a hard look and categorized as must have or don’t need it. If it’s not must have, then you don’t need it. If you are going back to your truck to drop off your gear before you drag the deer out, do you need a knife/kill kit or would a small pen knife that you can gut with be good enough? I’d rather walk back to the truck those few times I kill a deer during season, than carry that kit around all the days that I won’t kill anything. I go through that process about 3 times during a season as things have a way of gradually sneaking back into my bag lol.

Here are ideas of what you “could” do to save weight.
  1. Lastly, switch to traditional bow hunting and pick you up a bearpaw slick stick because these things are feather light

That isn't really gonna work.
He'll have to switch to atleast 650gr arrows and that will offset any weight he shaved from the compound...

:rolleyes:

Back