• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Gonna try Trad again Suggestions for a bow choice?

Pathfinder

So I tried traditional about 20+yrs ago and it didn’t pan out. Now I’ve been watching tons of videos and I’m interested again in giving it a try. I was wondering if there was a setup that’s not gonna break the bank that I can start to learn on which will allow me to kill a deer or two and get me to a point where I’m gonna be ready to dump some legit $$$. I LUV the way a Black Widow looks and it’s what I think of when I think traditional. However the more I see a Hoyt Satori the more I’m drawn to it!!! That being said I don’t think it’s smart or practical to dump $1500+ on a setup only to find out that it’s just not for me. I’m older now and have learned WAY more patients so it’ll be for me I do believe as that’s where my hunting evolution is taking me. Still not sure where to start longbow, recurve, modern ilf, old school wood, cheap Amazon any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!! I currently shoot a short super fast Hoyt at 75lbs but understand that draw weight truly isn’t gonna help me in trad so the only thing I’m semi sure of is starting around the 40lb range. Now when I tried trad 20yrs ago I was shooting an 82lb compound so I bought a 50lb recurve which I could draw and even hold for a bit without struggling but now I know I was still most likely over bow‘d. Might have been a lot of why I didnt stick with it. Just kinda looking for some basic setup advise. Thx

Black hunter in either recurve or longbow is a great choice to start with and it’s surprisingly a real good shooter and about 100$ and will kill deer all day long but ditch the stock string and get a nice Flemish or properly made endless I can help you with either If you hit me up. ILF/DAS is my personal choice but to start I would recommend up above or either a Sage recurve but it’s little more coin or if you can get a older bow from yesteryear by all means inspect and inspect again before purchase shoot it if you can

Last edited:
Black hunter in either recurve or longbow is a great choice to start with and it’s surprisingly a real good shooter and about 100$ and will deer all day long but ditch the stock string and get a nice Flemish or properly made endless I can help you with either If you hit me up. ILF/DAS is my personal choice but to start I would recommend up above or either a Sage recurve but it’s little more coin or if you can get a older bow from yesteryear by all means inspect and inspect again before purchase shoot it if you can
I second the black hunter. Bought one for my wife to get started on for about $120 with 30lb limbs. I liked it so much I thought about getting heavier limbs and hunting with it myself. For the price you can’t hardly beat it. Plus you can get into it with some lighter limbs and then move up lbs real cheap and sell the limbs if you want.

after shooting it and convincing yourself to spend a few weeks salary on a new custom bow take a look at Stalker Stickbows. I am very happy with the one I got this year. Just remember, that Black hunter kills deer just as well as that custom Widow or Stalker…. But it does give you the green light to brag about it to all your friends and everyone on this forum.

X2 for the black hunter. Bought my wife one w/ 25lb limbs. Have contemplated getting some 45lb limbs limbs for it quite a bit.

I'd get an ILF riser you like that is in your price range and then get some lighter, cheaper limbs to start and then work your way up in weight and quality.

ILF is international limb fit (or some such) and means that you can put any ILF limbs on the riser. There are tons of different ILF limbs out there. Just research riser length and limb length combos and how the riser length affects the limb weight (and how limbs are rated).
The Morrison Phoenix is a great riser.

Black hunter in either recurve or longbow is a great choice to start with and it’s surprisingly a real good shooter and about 100$ and will deer all day long but ditch the stock string and get a nice Flemish or properly made endless I can help you with either If you hit me up. ILF/DAS is my personal choice but to start I would recommend up above or either a Sage recurve but it’s little more coin or if you can get a older bow from yesteryear by all means inspect and inspect again before purchase shoot it if you can
Razorbak66 makes some really nice strings. He'll make what you need.

I own a Black Hunter with 40 pound Recurve limbs and 45 pound Longbow limbs. I like the Recurve limbs better. The Longbow limbs stack a little close to 28 inches. The Recurve limbs are smooth as far back as I can pull them. I had a sage and sold it cheap to a newb a few years back. It shot pretty good but it didn’t really impress me. Both are good shooting affordable bows that are actually underrated because of their price. IMO the Black Hunter out performs the sage but there are other who would say the opposite. Either bow will do the job and are worthy of “not just a beginners bow” status. I currently own a few classic recurves, a Big Jim Longbow (awesome), and the BH. The BH shoots as good as any of the hundreds of bows I’ve owned over the years. As said earlier, the string needs replaced but it will work until you get a new one. Mine has a string I made using a combination of Trophy and B55 and is working good on this bow. About the only negative you will find on the BH is it’s country of origin. If you can get around that it’s an awesome bow for the money.

I've shot alot of trad bows. The hardest thing for me to get over, even though I knew it early on, I shoot aluminum risers with competition style grips better than anything else. I own and shoot other bows, but my aluminum ILF riser is what does it. I sold two others in years past before coming full circle.

Get an ILF setup if you are under the illusion that you're only going to get one bow and never need another bow. But yeah, I say black hunter is the way to go if you want something to start with. OR spend a little more and get the upgraded model that BigJim sell on his site which look nice.

Get an ILF setup if you are under the illusion that you're only going to get one bow and never need another bow. But yeah, I say black hunter is the way to go if you want something to start with. OR spend a little more and get the upgraded model that BigJim sell on his site which look nice.

That looks identical to a Toparchery recurve down to the exact color wood and brass limb screws

That looks identical to a Toparchery recurve down to the exact color wood and brass limb screws
I also am looking at all options ILF is just one of them. I’ve been to bow shop and one reason I mention a satori one I’m drawn to the look but two the #50 one I drew at shop felt better to draw and smoother even at #50 then the bear Montana at #45 and I believe it was a fleetwood Yukon at #40. Big thing I noticed was weight of the bow setup. The satori was much heavier then the bows I tried and I tried the bear Montana, grizzly, Yukon and one other I forget the name of along with the satori. #50 is way to much for sure right out the gate. I was doing a ton of shaking once at full draw. The others I could draw to full draw length and settle then shoot. I wasn’t holding but I was able to settle for a quick second. However other then the #40 bows I felt the satori was just smoother. That’s why I’m asking is that because it’s an ILF or is it just cuz it’s a high end bow? The weight difference was huge and it didn’t have a quiver full of arrows attached and other stuff and that maybe a factor.

@Red Beard can answer this fully
Black Hunter is a pretty bow for sure. I may have liked it more if I got it in a lower poundage. The thing I like about the Sage over the BH is that the Sage is drilled for a rest. I've come to like the adjustability of a rest as opposed to shooting right off the shelf.

Black Hunter is a pretty bow for sure. I may have liked it more if I got it in a lower poundage. The thing I like about the Sage over the BH is that the Sage is drilled for a rest. I've come to like the adjustability of a rest as opposed to shooting right off the shelf.
Did the indians shoot off an elevated rest when they pin cushioned Custer at Little Big Horn?

Last edited:
Did the indians shoot off an elevated rest when they pin cushioned Custer at Little Big Horn?
Sure didn’t but they used stone broadheads and slept in teepees now we have steel tipped heads on carbon arrows and we sleep in houses. Not saying it’s better just saying there are different ways. Rule nothing out and don’t lose out on something that can be progress.

I liked the accutune plunger I saw guys on “The Push” use for easy tuning of bows. That was for shooting off the shelf. Also watching the “Kifaru” guy set up his bow which was a DAS bow but had a satori the same way made me ask that question. Also one of reasons Im looking at satori’s or ILF stuff along with the “Instinctive Archery Addiction“ guys. Luv their setups and see a definite reason one may choose one of those style bows!

Back