• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Greetings from Finland

Barking Mad

Hello everyone.

Glad I found this forum. Have been saddle-curious for a couple of years and finally managed to stitch up a sit drag and after just a couple of hang sessions in a tree I cannot find the way out of the the rabbit hole anymore. So happy that an old fart like me gets to learn new stuff.

I have been hunting and shooting bows of all kinds for the better part of the last 40 years. Lately mostly recurves but it's all archery to me and the wheels get to go out and play every now and then as well.

Glad to meet you all.

Thanks gcr!

Small game, ducks, grouse, beaver, whitetail deer and roe deer are what I mostly chase when out and about.

A fun fact: outside of North America, Czech Republic, New Zealand, some islands on the Caribbean and Finland are the only places where whitetails reside. Here they were introduced in the 1930's and now the annual harvest is over 50 000 deer. Bowhunting is legal here for all game animals barring moose and brown bear.

Welcome rural Midwest USA! Home of cheap beer and cheap thrills!

Often ponder about the hunting traditions across the world!

Welcome from Vermont.

I did not know about the whitetail population in Finland. Thanks for sharing that.

I had an all-too-brief 2-day visit to Helsinki after high school. Beautiful place. Always wanted to go back and see more of the country.

Thanks gcr!

Small game, ducks, grouse, beaver, whitetail deer and roe deer are what I mostly chase when out and about.

A fun fact: outside of North America, Czech Republic, New Zealand, some islands on the Caribbean and Finland are the only places where whitetails reside. Here they were introduced in the 1930's and now the annual harvest is over 50 000 deer. Bowhunting is legal here for all game animals barring moose and brown bear.
Welcome! When is your deer season? When do they rut there? You got a spare bedroom for a fellow saddle hunter? JK Glad you're here!

Another fun fact:
In June of 1993, the National Congress of the Republic of Honduras declared the Yucatan white-tailed deer its national mammal and the national symbol of all Honduran wildlife.

Another fun fact:
In June of 1993, the National Congress of the Republic of Honduras declared the Yucatan white-tailed deer its national mammal and the national symbol of all Honduran wildlife.
My brother in law is from Honduras. When I mentioned I loved hunting whitetail deer, he was like, "That's our national animal." He was not offended but though it was neat. When I was in Honduras, I could not find any though. I did find a domesticated turkey that I got to gobble by mouth calling some yelps.

Thanks gcr!

Welcome from Northern Virginia. I was born and raised in Alaska, very similar climate and culture. Question, why can’t you hunt moose and brown bear with a bow?

Hello everyone.

Glad I found this forum. Have been saddle-curious for a couple of years and finally managed to stitch up a sit drag and after just a couple of hang sessions in a tree I cannot find the way out of the the rabbit hole anymore. So happy that an old fart like me gets to learn new stuff.

I have been hunting and shooting bows of all kinds for the better part of the last 40 years. Lately mostly recurves but it's all archery to me and the wheels get to go out and play every now and then as well.

Glad to meet you all.
Welcome from Pennsylvania. It is amazing what you can make with a sewing machine that works as well as any commercial saddle.

Welcome to the site. Interesting that your from Finland. Like someone else has said on here, it is good to know that there is a hunting tradition pretty much everywhere.

Welcome from Michigan! Next time I'm in Finland I'll have to look you up. Wait, I've never been and probably won't get the chance. But if you're ever in Michigan give me a call!

Back